Masters Running

TGIF Daily - 2 November 2012 (Read 390 times)

They canceled the marathon.

...if TheGoal

was to make the Maximum Number of people angry, they have totally succeeded.

amazing.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Too bad there’s not enough time as it’s run tomorrow on Saturday 11/3/12 but, in case any NYC Marathon runners haven’t left the West Coast yet (or there’s any red eyes from the East Coast to Seattle like we take going there), the In Unity We Run Marathon cited above in Kent, Washington between Seattle and the airport still has 40 gratis spots open.  It was started in 2001 in commemoration of the seemingly-doomed NYC Marathon being held on schedule that year (but they had two months to prepare).

So sorry OM and everybody else.  If it could have happened, I believe many of the runners would have donated goodies and food, contributed money, stayed over to volunteer, doubled up in hotel rooms and lobbies or in the park but it would have been very difficult for anyone to run through all that destruction. 
      I won’t be complaining about the rain out here this weekend, that's for sure.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

The mayor is not a bad guy, just trying to do the right thing. I know a lot of people were inconvenienced, but here's another thought about what might have happened:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/mayor-michael-bloomberg-heres-what-you-could-have-done.html/

Spareribs

I didn't originally have an opinion about the NYC Marathon but it's amazing as far away as OKC & a non-runner at that, my DW, had pretty strong feelings.  I tried not to argue with her about it but she was saying cancel so I found myself going the other way and wanting it to go on.

Had a good run last night but today was a rest or XT day so I rested.

Work has been going very well and I found myself excited telling DW about it, how I might be able to help a client save her home.  That excitement hasn't been there for a long time.  Gave my first Power Point presentation to a small community group today about debtor/creditor law.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

Work has been going very well and I found myself excited telling DW about it, how I might be able to help a client save her home.  That excitement hasn't been there for a long time.  Gave my first Power Point presentation to a small community group today about debtor/creditor law.

As a social entrepreneur my life investment has always being in community and others. This post made me smile big.

There is such a joy giving back to others!

Keep up with your small community group presentations and you will always be beaming!!!

Trust me on this one!

In the after math of Sandy, I believe ALL of us around our beloved USA have a task to do to make our communities better. The question is not...what will people in the East Coast do to help out,

but

what can I DO to help out in my community and my fellow neighbor!

Me running? Nope. I got home after a long day at work. I smelled the great Shiraz in the fridge calling my name. Got a glass and the rest is history.

Shall run trails tomorrow...yiiipiiieee!

Great input from twocat about the NYC marathon.

Read Spareribs' link for the rest.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Only ran 2 miles this morning, not feeling greta...Not sure how I feel about the NYC Marathon...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Any of the 47.000 runners (30,000 out-of-state / overseas) who wear their NYC Marathon bib numbers running around for hurricane relief would have earned their finisher t-shirts and medals..

Hey OM< maybe you can come out to Mariposai's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon reunion run next July. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

No run for me today, I was freezing all day in a room that was leaking the north wind like crazy working with a colleague on data analyses. Brrr. I was so cold I couldn't even think about it, it was 18F with wind 25 gusts to 35... 

Lots of very thoughtful people on here, I appreciate the various perspectives on the marathon cancellation. Politics is often more about perception than reality, so when I saw the kind of publicity the decision to put the marathon on was getting, I was waiting to see they had canceled after all. 

While I feel for all the folks who are like me (or, probably, a little faster...), the marathon for the masses is a very separate issue in my mind from the marathon for the elites. Unfortunately for the professional runners, they treated them both the same. The 30 or so runners in each side (and especially the top 10 or so) that passed up every other major marathon offer they had this fall to run this event are pretty much out of luck, as this is the last in the cycle and there are no top-tier marathons to turn around and run next week. And they have each focused at least 3 months, most of them probably a full six months, for this one payday. The basketball games weren't cancelled, and it's only one game in 82 for them. So I do feel there should have been some accomodation to field the elite race, even if the course was changed so it didn't impact so much of the city. Use the Olympic Trials course or something along that line. 

I think it is quite possible that this decision cost somebody in the men's and women's races $500,000, as whoever would have won would have been in the running for the World Marathon Major prize for the cycle ending this year or next year. 

Bummer deal. 

I'm hoping to get out in the morning in the absolutely frigid air to get in a few miles.