Masters Running

Hagg Lake 50k (Read 351 times)

Finally got my report done.  Warning - It's long!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent report, Leslie!  You are a great friend!  Staying and helping Karen through a tough one like this, in the long run, will leave you with much more than just a finishing time, but instead you (both) will have lifelong memories and smiles over your adventure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great report, fatozzig.  You sure are a good friend, the way you helped Karen when she really needed it.  I suspect your memories of this race will be more meaningful  than most of the ones you ran fast.  Congratulations.

TomS

I absolutely loved that race report, you are a good friend to Karen and the memories for sure will last forever! My favorite part of the report was all of the "bleeps". Probably wasn't funny at the time, but sure had me laughing.

Great Job........now about that 50 mile race your going to do. That distance is from my house to Orlando, WOW!

Congrats.......Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Fantastic report.  You described so clearly just how rottten Karen must have felt.  You were her angel.  Country songs, yup that would do it for me too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

You were her angel.  Country songs, yup that would do it for me too.

She told me she thought I was making up some of the words.  No!  That's country music, baby!

Thanks for all your comments, peeps.  It didn't take long - once Karen got some food in her - before she was laughing about it all, too.  Especially when we were relaying the tale to her parents.  I, of cousre, had to give my rendition of the meltdown.  Classic!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

What a a powerful story of friendship and love for running.Thanks for taking us in the journey with you. I admire your strength so much.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Sweet RR Leslie.

There's more than one way to have a good time in a race.

The threat of country music motivates me.

SteveP

Running is so much more than just running....and you and Karen proved that point.  Congratulations and admiration out to both of you for a gutsy adventure!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Everyone should have a friend like you, Leslie. You're the best! Great RR and great pictures. You guys made a memory together!

jfa

Once again Leslie, way to gut it out. There's better races ahead for both of you. Live and learn. That what friendship's all about, getting each other through tough times.  Nice pics too!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--as nice as you were to stick with Karen, you do have a cruel streak.  Country music for a person on the edge of a breakdown?    Oh, the humanity!!

As interesting as you make it sound, I think I'll just live vicariously through you and the other ultra folks around here.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

What is with all you country music haters??  It's classic!  It's as American as Mom and apple pie!  And I'm good at singing it!!! 

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Finally got a moment to read this (yes, after I picked on you mercilessly to post something) - what a rockin' story! This is really what it's all about, those crazy ups and downs, and friends sticking together, even being able to laugh at being DFL - yeah! Reminds you that you're fully alive!

Arla

Ex runner

coastwalker

This is such a great story of true friendship and support! The relationships we form before, during and after races are a great bonus on top of the joys of the sport itself. I'll bet that you and Karen will be talking about that race for years to come, and it will always be with smiles on your faces.

Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate the reminder that there are times when you can still be a winner, even without crossing the finish line first.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.