Masters Running

Monday 6.24.19 (Read 43 times)

mrrun

Happy Monday to all,

We've been spending the w/e with family on Cape Cod in perfect weather - running, biking, swimming, and of course eating!

No recap - have a greta week everyone,

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Marj. Looks like a great time with family on the Cape over the weekend. Happy Birthday, Henrun!

Evanflein, to have taken a fall like that and still finished 1st AG is incredible! Congrats on maintaining your focus when so many others would have ended their race right there. Happy Anniversary to you and DH.

So sorry about the loss of your friend, Holly, and thanks for the reminder that can't be overstated.

Thanks for the history lesson, Joe.

Good use of goats, dg.

Congrats to your mom on her AG hardware, Deeze - sound like a good time in OOB an Portland.

Surly Bill, that MeowHaus is outstanding! Should we start referring to the original as the BowHaus?

I spent all yesterday afternoon weeding and pulling the roots of a bunch of heathers & heaths that didn't survive the winter, aren't coming back, and need to be replaced. DW and I topped off a long and tiring day with shrimp cocktail and grilled burgers out on the back deck, which was a great way to finish the day.

My ankle felt OK when I got up this morning, so I headed out for 5.6 (not 56.) EZ RW miles in 63° temps with dry air and a breeze.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sorry to see no one is enjoying themselves   If it was as perfect there as around us, you hit the jackpot!

Were you a fast bowler, Joe?  I spent a lot of time with a bunch of Australians and Brits about 20 years ago while commissioning some overseas plants, so learned a lot about both rugby and cricket--most of it gone by now.

Lots of Maggie miles over the weekend--about 12 according to the highly accurate iPhone health app.  Somewhere in there, managed to irritate the callus on what I guess would be the ring toe (? next to the pinky toe?).  Really annoying spot to try and protect.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

anneb

Morning Jay and Stumpy. Marj, looks like a wonderful weekend and happy birthday to henrun!

Well, summer arrived yesterday! Just like that. It rained a bunch last night, and everything is still soaked. Of course it is… when the temp and dew point are practically the same (69/67), does anything dry?? 3.3 miles around the swampy neighborhood for me.

Have a a great Monday!

Anne

Happy Birthday Henry!   Interesting posts.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy this group?  

5.2 beautiful but tired miles here in the Poconos.  We drive back down to Philadelphia mid-day, will stop off and visit a friend who has a tough situation (welfare, section 8 housing, abusive adult son etc).  I try to help her out as much as I can but she won’t accept too much unless I disguise it.  So- we went out and bought some paper goods, towels and other household items at Big Lots and my story is that my sister was going to give all the stuff away because it was from my nephew’s condo which he sold and the stuff was never used.     We fly home this evening.  It’s been a good visit and my husband got a lot done over at our son’s house, but I’m ready to be home.    My son and his friend made dinner for us (and my sister (brother in law is back at the Florida house doing some painting so he isn’t here))  and we ate on his deck.  It was really nice and the food was great-  filet mignon, stuff chicken breasts, grilled sweet potatoes, grilled peppers and corn on the cob.   This was a first.....    I did get some time in the sun by the lake yesterday.  I thought the water was a little chilly, so I didn’t get all the way in.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy

Wow- long time no post...

I feel like school is finally over. I spent 8 days in Kansas City, MO along with 721 other high school/university biology instructors helping grade over 261,000 AP Biology exam booklets, each of which contained eight written essays students wrote. I flew home, spent a day at my school cleaning up and then my oldest daughter came to visit with her two children. We had a ball; went to the pool and then took them blueberry picking.

I did a slow 5.1 this morning. IO had a bad spring and am now 35 miles behind the pace bunny.

Tailwinds!

pfriese

Hello everyone.

Awol again for the past several days, been busy catching up from last weekends trip. You'd think an old retire guy would have some extra time, but this house remodel/update project seems to eat up a lot of spare time. I have been running though, just missed 1 planned run last week. I'm getting back in the habit of early morning runs (not Jay o'clock) to beat the heat. I was out early for a nice ez 6 miles run around the park. Now it's time to do yard work.

Have a great day.

Paul

Joe618

Good morning, all.   Nice updates, Bio and Paul!   Cape Cod fun all around.   Nice.   Have a safe trip home, KSA.   Glad the trip was productive and you are creatively encouraging your friend.   Glad the ankle is bouncing back, Jay.   Good analysis of dew points, AnneB!

Were you a fast bowler, Joe?  I spent a lot of time with a bunch of Australians and Brits about 20 years ago while commissioning some overseas plants, so learned a lot about both rugby and cricket--most of it gone by now.

The Brits let me bowl in practice a couple of times and it was, apparently, hilarious.   The whole arm motion is different and my many years of baseball muscle memory evidently produced a comical motion when applied to cricket bowling.   Thus, they let me bat and put me out at square leg in the field and all was well.   But never allowed to bowl. 

SRD here...and for the first day back at work, it feels very much like it will be a long one.     And I'm grateful to have the option. 

Rock your Monday, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks, nice to see everyone is busy and productive....

Surly Bill has some lucky cats....

5.05 miles for me this morning in 69 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Surly - Your el gato is livin' in style!  Hey - What are you doing with the shipping containers you had delivered to your property a couple of weeks ago?  I'm just bein' nosy.

Happy Birthday, Henry!!!!

That's all I got for now.  Between Wilson and Ziggy having issues all night and The Hub "perfuming" the air all night, it was not a good night for sleeping.

Stay tuned ~~~

Image result for bring on monday meme

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I was going to say, "Morning, all!" but I see it's 12:01.  So, afternoon, all!!  More of the same going on here today -- yoga, biking, probably a walk later.  I've been biking in sandals, but I can't wear sandals in my lab, so I keep an ancient pair of Asics in my office to change into.  Well, last week the ball of my left foot became quite annoyed, and I'm wondering if it's because I NEVER wear shoes with any significant heel drop, and then suddenly spent my weekdays in Asics.  So I brought my Merrels in to leave them here at work, and ordered a new pair of Merrels.  These are getting really worn on the bottom anyway, so they could reasonably be demoted to "lab shoes".  Hoping that makes my foot happier.

Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Erika, OUCH! That really made me cringe to read it. Great about the AG win in a field of 98. That must have been a hugh run to have that many just in your AG.

I don't normally read books about sports, but I'm reading a recent one now entitled "K: The history of baseball in ten pitches". Very well written by the baseball writer for the NY Times and full of interesting and funny anecdotes about pitchers and other players that I'm familiar with from back when I followed the sport more closely. There's a chapter devoted to each of 10 types of pitches (fastball, curve, slider, etc.) that's also informative since I never really knew the details of exactly what some of the pitches are and how they're thrown. Anyway, recommended if you have an interest in baseball (definitely NOT cricket or any other of those Limey sports!).

Yesterday was a day of perfect weather, being not too hot and very low humidity. We had the beginning of my MIL's 95th birthday week here in the afternoon and evening. I say "birthday week" since that's at least how long hers will be going on. She is an ultra-social extrovert -- always smiling and laughing -- and enjoys life immensely, so has been invited to numerous luncheons and visits by various friends from her condos, church, senior center, relatives, etc. I also wouldn't put it past her to be around for more of the same 5 years from now!

I started out on a good run locally this morning, then at about the 3 mile mark my right calf injury reasserted itself and the last mile was a combo of jogging, walking, and limping. I think I'll be taking a longer time off from running to let it heal up. Funny that it didn't bother me on a similar run last week...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Thank you all for my birthday greetings but my actual birthday was in April. This trip was planned to coordinate with the end of the school year and the start of summer. And we got summer with the temps in the high 70’s and dry and sunny. After a pancake (restaurant) breakfast this morning most everyone went kayaking or paddle boarding. SinceI would have trouble getting in and out of a kayak and could never balance on a board I opted for a 3 mile run followed by a short swim in the resort pool. Good decision 😋. Tomorrow we head home- just a 2 hour drive fortunately and get ready for our next trip.

Roch slipped in while I was typing. That book sounds interesting. I’ll look for it at my library. Congrats to your MIL. Sounds like she has the right attitude about life.

Thank you all for my birthday greetings but my actual birthday was in April. 

Is this double birthday dipping???? 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Is this double birthday dipping???? 

Absolutely!,! Life should be one big birthday bash🥂.