Masters Running

Dare We Gobble Till We Wobble? 11/22/18 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

Coastwalker went out for an EZ-Frosty 3.2. I'm interested in the cranberry relish recipe...If you would be so kind. You've done the recap for how long? Your efforts will always be appreciated.

Dave59's You're not the hero IT deserves, but the hero IT needs. He gets in three from a treadmill with micro slips.

Rochrunner sweats it our in front of his adoring fan. Pumpkin cake......mmmmm

Jlynne enjoys the smorgasbord of workouts and equipment. The gang from the Y takes to the streets and she prepares to dive in head first at the Salvation Army. ..side note..I'm your average guy whose just a tad full of himself.

Tom White, our resident sage, offers up some wisdom and serving of Nordic-track training.

Tramps serves a welcomed up date. He still gets in a refreshing 3. Good luck on Monday.

HollyS offers a lot to digest as she gets to the core before work, prepares for a trot, preps for a feat and brings work home. Is it legal for vegetarians to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Deez4boyz sweetens the pot with her presence and a home made 10K.

Joe618 not only brings a lot to the table here, but also in his neighborhood.

Wildchild spices up the forum with information on a non-turkey trot 5K.

RunnerKSA dishes on the home front. She stubborns out the front door for 2.5 in preparation for her 10K.

Fatozzig adds a topping of sprinkles with news of rain in CA! There's a side of reflections. With the help of Shorty, their household is making dinner and pie all in one!!

BioGuy got in a perfect 8. His dentist gives him something to chew over and he's kicking in a can for a 5 miler today.

BTY is churning up the lanes while hoping he doesn't wind up in hot water with DW.

Falconfixer has a somber morning but still takes care of himself and puts in three miles. Occasionally, family time isn't any kind of picnic.

C-R offers up a rare morsel of his presence. Keep on keeping on.

Evanflein prepares to savor some alone time at work and has 5.2 as the piece de resistance.

Runr_nut's  Tuesday run was scorched by unfathomable car issues. Hi got in a savory 5 on Wednesday.

Spacityrunner has a piece of cake trail run.

Tetsujin209's  paints a trail runner's confectionery delight with his 4 mile in the mountains.

I took the day off from working out and went to work. You know..skeleton staff, people sneaking out early, incoming fright trying to get 5 days of good delivered in 3. I planed on staying late. There was a cherry on top experience when my mentor stopped into the shop. We shared a few war stories..didn't answer calls...and offered each-other tips.

Wisdom is what's left when you've run out of dumb stuff to do.

SteveP

Tramps

Thanks, Steve.

I suspect it'll be a light day here, given all the cooking that needs to get done.

30F with a stiff breeze this morning. That's a bit chilly for riding so I opted for a little 3 mile run. Gorgeous out, though.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Happy Thanksgiving!

The local annual tradition continued.this morning as a rather largish group showed up at 0600 to run the 15k course (hilly) …. and the race is in March.  If I ever figure out how to post links, I'll try and link to the pre-run photo....between 50 and 60 or so again this year.  I got a couple in before the group start and another mile after for 12.3 total.  Fun course.  Lots of up and down work, about a half mile stretch along the Tennessee River (after running by the Fame music studio) and the best part:  a series of switchback climbs (not really too steep) with the reward of a fantastic overlook of the same Tennessee River (and Fame recording studio) but now about 120' or so above it.

Steve, Thanksgiving week always fun as a civilian maintenance manager.  Plant shutdowns would happen and we would be working all week (sometimes Thanksgiving itself) to do preventive maintenance, deferred discrepancies, etc.  Have a good smoking day!

Evanflein/Tet, not sure if it was the same guy but during my trip to Fairbanks we got out to Denali.  The trip back, just one radio station.  And they were broadcasting live from the Eskimo games.  The events sounded crazy (hanging 5 lb weights from earlobes and then walking?).  And the announcers sounded like they had imbibed some adult beverages.  Made the trip back entertaining anyway.

Have a greta day everyone!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for a delightful wrap-up of yesterday's activities, Steve, and a good start to today's. Alas, I fear I'll never achieve wisdom... Here is the story behind the cranberry relish recipe, and the recipe itself:  https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/16/666296027/cranberry-relish-the-npr-recipe-that-divides-thanksgiving-tables  We made it last night - quick and easy. I'm looking forward to tasting it later today on some bird.

Tramps and Falconfixer snuck in while I was posting - nice morning runs by both of you (sounds like great views, Falcon)!

I slept late, read some, and didn't head out till the sun was high enough to shed some light on the roads. I did my own 5K+ in 9° temps with the wind chill in the -5 range. I had dressed well for the weather, so except for when the wind slapped me in the face (which was more often than not), it wasn't too bad out there.

Now, let today's cooking begin - have a greta Thanksgiving!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps, sorry to hear about your woes -- keep us posted!

I've also become more confused than I used to be about what should be simple word forms. I say past tense "I swam" but past perfect "I have swum". Maybe it should be "swam" for both? Doesn't sound right. And what is the past tense of "dive"? Is it "dove" or "dived"? I thing I've heard it both ways.

On the dessert front, this is why I'm not a candidate to appear on "The Great American Baking Show". In making the (first attempt) pumpkin cake yesterday, I misread "1 cup canned pumpkin" as "1 can pumpkin", which is close to double the specified amount. In my defense, it was printed out in a really small font! After attempting to bake it and realizing my mistake, I ran out to get another can of pumpkin and remade the whole thing.

Did 7 miles on the trainer this morning. I'm definitely learning how to do a good workout and am gradually upping my average power and HR. I have a walk planned for Saturday and running on Sunday if conditions permit (supposed to be warmer over the weekend).

My DW and I made a rare trip to the movies yesterday afternoon and saw "Green Book". Really, really enjoyed it! Highly recommended.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

It's simple really:

Swim Definition:

To swim: to move through or on top of water by moving the limbs, fins, or tail or by undulating the body.

Example Sentences:

Have you ever swum in the ocean?

Do you want to go swimming today?

The Bethesda native graduated from Stone Ridge in the spring, but deferred her enrollment at Stanford, where she is committed to swim, until after Rio. –The Washington Post

Nominal Forms:

Infinitive: to swim.

Past Participle: swum.

Gerund: swimming.

Simple Tenses:

To swim is inflected as Swim>Swam>Swum.

I swim. (Swim Present Tense)

I swam. (Swim Past Tense)

I have swum (Swim Present Perfect)

I will swim. (Swim Future Tense)

Primary Six Tenses (Indicative)

1. Simple Present:

Singular:
              1st: I swim
              2nd: you swim
              3rd: he swims

Plural:
              1st: we swim
              3rd: they swim

2. Simple Past:

Singular:
              1st: I swam
              2nd: you swam
              3rd: he swam

Plural:
              1st: we swam
              2nd: you swam
              3rd: they swam

3. Simple Future:

Singular:
              1st: I will swim
              2nd: you will swim
              3rd: he will swim

Plural:
              1st: we will swim
              2nd: you will swim
              3rd: they will swim

4. Present Perfect:

Singular:
              1st: I have swum
              2nd: you have swum
              3rd: he has swum

Plural:
              1st: we have swum
              3rd: they have swum

5. Past Perfect:

Singular:

1st: I had swum
              2nd: you had swum
              3rd: he had swum

Plural:
              1st: we had swum
              2nd: you had swum
              3rd: they had swum

6. Future Perfect:

Singular:
              1st: I will have swum
              2nd: you will have swum
              3rd: he will have swum

Plural:
              1st: we will have swum
              2nd: you will have swum
              3rd: they will have swum

Subjunctive Mood:

Present Tense:

Singular:
              1st: I swim
              3rd: he swim

Plural:
              1st: we swim
              3rd: they swim

Present Perfect Tense:

Singular:
              1st: I have swum
              3rd: he have swum

Plural:
              1st: we have swum
              3rd: they have swum

Present Imperfect:

Singular:
              1st: I swam
              3rd: he swam

Plural:
              1st: we swam
              3rd: they swam

Past Perfect Tense:

Singular:

1st: I had swum
              2nd: you had swum
              3rd: he had swum

Plural:
              1st: we had swum
              2nd: you had swum
              3rd: they had swum

Conditional Mood

Present:

Singular:
              1st: I would swim
              2nd: you would swim
              3rd: he would swim

Plural:
              1st: we would swim
              2nd: you would swim
              3rd: they would swim

Perfect:

Singular:
              1st: I would have swum
              2nd: you would have swum
              3rd: he would have swum

Plural:
              1st: we would have swum
              2nd: you would have swum
              3rd: they would have swum

Imperative Mood

1st: we – Let´s swim

Progressive (Continuous) Forms

Indicative: 

Present Progressive:

Singular:
              1st: I am swimming
              2nd: you are swimming
              3rd: he is swimming

Plural:
              1st: we are swimming
              2nd: you are swimming
              3rd: they are swimming

Past Progressive:

Singular:

1st: I was swimming
              2nd: you were swimming
              3rd: he was swimming

Plural:
              1st: we were swimming
              2nd: you were swimming
              3rd: they were swimming

Future Progressive:

Singular:

1st: I will be swimming
              2nd: you will be swimming
              3rd: he will be swimming

Plural:
              1st: we will be swimming
              2nd: you will be swimming
              3rd: they will be swimming

Present Perfect Progressive:

Singular:

1st: I have been swimming
              2nd: you have been swimming
              3rd: he has been swimming

Plural:
              1st: we have been swimming
              2nd: you have been swimming
              3rd: they have been swimming

Past Perfect Progressive:

Singular:

1st: I had been swimming
              2nd: you had been swimming
              3rd: he   had been swimming

Plural:
              1st: we had been swimming
              2nd: you had been swimming
              3rd: they had been swimming

Future Perfect Progressive:

Singular:

1st: I  will have been swimming
              2nd: you will have been swimming
              3rd: he  will have been swimming

Plural:
              1st: we  will have been swimming
              2nd: you will have been swimming
              3rd: they will have been swimming

Progressive Conditional:

Present Progressive Conditional:

Singular:

1st: I  would be swimming
              2nd: you would be swimming
              3rd: he would be swimming

Plural:
              1st: we would be swimming
              2nd: you would be swimming
              3rd: they would be swimming

Perfect Progressive Conditional:

Singular:

1st: I would have been swimming
              2nd: you would have been swimming
              3rd: he would have been swimming

Plural:
              1st: we would have been swimming
              2nd: you would have been swimming
              3rd: they would have been swimming

See? Easy as pie. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - wow!

Our little town, which is on the outskirts of the "and vicinity" part of Dayton (if you cross the river at the Miamisburg downtown you hit cornfields, 4 miles the other way is I-75 and the Dayton Mall and you are deep in suburbs) has a population of about 20,000.  So, when nearly 10,000 people show up for the annual Turkey Trot, parking can be a problem.  That being said, I left at 7:22 to drive 8 minutes to the race, which starts at 8:30, just so I could get a decent parking spot.  Other years I have simply run the 2 miles to the start, but with my foot being problematic, I decided to drive.  Having secured a decent spot, I read my library book on my Kindle app until 8:00, then walked to the start, utilized a port-o-pottie, and lined up with thousands of other for this annual tradition.  This was the 40th anniversary, which makes it one of the oldest Turkey Trots in the country.

Here is the Relive of the race:  https://www.relive.cc/view/g27066150036

It was about 28 degrees at the start.   I left my car too early and was thoroughly chilled when we finally started running.  By the end of the first mile, I was fairly warmed up.  By the end of the second mile, I could feel my toes again.  My goal was to go slow, and see if my foot would hold out.  If so, I wanted to run the whole thing without taking any walk breaks.  I have run so little in the last 2 months that my running fitness is all but gone.  However, I was able to run the race with no walk breaks, other than a quick diversion to get a Bill's Donuts donut hole that a table on the sidelines was offering.  (Anyone who lives in south Dayton knows about the legendary Bills Donuts.)  My finish time was 56:12 - nothing stellar,  but my foot held up with minimal pain.  I am icing now, and we will see how it feels tomorrow, but I almost feel like I am ready to begin training again.

That being said, should I cancel my appoint with the PT and the follow-up with the ortho doc?

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and yours!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

I’ll just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.

Tramps

I’ll just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, Steve, and Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

10K (6.3 miles, really) Turkey Trot. 33 degrees but sunny and nice.  My daughter ran with me the whole way.  She's out of shape and I've had all the falls and sinus stuff, so we were a great pair.  We did well.  Might be my slowest 10K (68 minutes) but we just walked a little on a couple of the hills and I won my age group.  The course was a little convoluted with the 5Kers coming into the 10Kers and a lot of confusion- especially since Turkey Trots attract some people who normally don't race.   We did OK- and I'm glad it's over.

Had a work "situation" yesterday on my day off (of course) where we needed to craft a response to a Twitter post.  We had an altercation at the corporate office at the end of the work day Monday when a seasonal employee in our call center was coming into work and came into the lobby (after parking in a handicap space) inappropriately dressed and not showing his badge.  Our sweet receptionist asked politely to see his badge and he ignored her.  She came around the desk (not a good move) and asked him again and he started swearing at her and calling her a racist.  He had his badge in his hand and went through the security doors and got to his work area in the call center.  Our CEO happened to come through the lobby and found the receptionist in tears and asked what happened.  He made a beeline for the call center and confronted the guy and asked him to leave.  The guy got in HIS face and told him he had no right to tell him to leave (um, yeah, the CEO) and called HIM a racist.  It got ugly, but the guy left.  They called him and fired him, needless to say.  This behavior was out of character, so I don't know if he was on drugs or what?   Anyway, he posted on twitter that we were a racist company and blah blah blah.    It didn't get any traction, so we just issued a brief statement about our policies in response to this "former" employee.   Scary, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...Nice Racing guys.......

==========

40s here

but

I overdressed for it

......65-min HH at soccer fields 3-3s....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tramps—was that from grammarpolice.com?  

Happy Thanksgiving to all. DW and I are in Rochester at FIL’s house. She flew in early because BIL who lives there is in Thailand with his wife to support other BIL who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.   Not the happiest holiday, but glad we can make FIL’s time a little better.

I’ m still in major running doldrums. Not even a decent injury to blame.   Better get back to it—there’s a lot of puppy walking in our future.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

bioguy

Very small turnout for the turkey trot. Ran 5.2 with a friend, a former student, and her mom. Bitterly cold but nice when we got a tailwind.

evanflein

Thanks, Tramps, but I think this one is wrong:

Subjunctive Mood:

Present Tense:

Singular:
                              1st: I swim
                              3rd: he swim

It should be "he swims" with that pronoun. You don't say "he swim the 50 free" but "he swims the 50 free" so there is that. But you missed my favorite: swimmed. As in, Brian swimmed a LOT the other day! 

No turkey trot here. I think they had a 5k on campus last weekend, but I never do that. I never do races here in the winter because a) you never know what sort of footing you're going to have, and b) I can't be bothered. That (b) is probably the bigger factor.

Crazy times at work, KSA. Sounds like someone was having a bad day. Glad it ended without incident.

Slow start to the day here but I've got some general cleanup to do and then get the turkey in the oven by 1:30. DS1, DIL and MIL coming over so just family and low key. Will go for a hilly run while the bird is in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Local Turkey Trot turned out pretty good, just a little over 900 registered and 43 degree's at the start. As previously noted, Turkey Trots attract a few not regular racers so the start was a bit of a challenge being a narrow area to cross the mats. Overcame the crowded start, finished 21st OA and 1st in AG with a time of 20:12. Will be letting Cracker Barrel cook my turkey dinner around 6 pm.

Happy Running!