Masters Running

Tues 2-4 Master - Boomer's (Read 644 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all, Haven't posted in a few days because I spilled water all over my keyboard at home, while hydrating for my long run last Sat morning. Work has been off the charts, and actually kinda over whelming at times...but the money is nice. I have had some good runs in after getting over my bug....Last Sat had a good 16.5 miler which I brought water and gels with me and did better than my last 16.5 miler when I bonked the last couple of miles. Sun was a nice easy 7 miler, and last night 8 miles 1/2 easy and 1/2 tempo. Been enjoying reading everyones runs - races - relays - and just peoples life's in general. Have a great Tues all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The Jogger

Morning Gang Tim, you certainly have got in some good runs, it's nice to be able to get out and run after illness, it really makes you appreciate running and life. Anyway: 6m 01:03:41 @ 10:37 pace AHR 154 73% It was very windy out there but just set me up for lunch and work. Good Runs All Roy
        Nice runs, Tim. Glad you're feeling better. Tuesday = recovery for me. 5 miles keeping the pace above 9 (except for some striders), and AHR about 140. It was a bit windy here too, Roy, but 59F! I got to wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:52/mi, AHR 140 Overall: 5.1 miles, 45:08 Good runs!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

anachrotech

Hi Tim - I haven't been here for a while myself for work related reasons. 3 miles for me this morning. I only ran 40 miles in February. I think I'm getting old. My joints bother me in the mornings now. Read your post from yesterday Tom (tselbs). SmileThe cruise does sound nice. You are definately one dedicated runner. Sorry to hear about your MIL. Good runs all.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks for starting us off on a happy note, Tim. Nice runs, enjoy the gift! Nice smooth 8.2 miles this morning. First 2.2 with Tory in the balmy 57F, 84% humidity. Then 6 more at easy-GA effort. Lots of deer up close this morning. 8.2 mi 1:11:24 (8:42 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Real easy recovery 6 miler this morning in an hour with the local clubbers. I ran easy with my clone who's running the "Fool's 50" in a couple of weeks. (I'm sure it's not named after anyone I know.) It's a trail race of 1, 2 or 3 laps covering 25K (15+ miles), 50K (31 miles), or 50 miles. He's doing the 50K, 2 laps. He's going to do well in his AG - he's in great shape right now. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Bill – does your clone look like you, or just run like you? I had a fitful night’s sleep last night, and at 3:48 am I heard the Dexter-dog whining softly at the gate in the hall that keeps him out of the bedrooms. I had let him out at 1:20 and 3:13, so I wondered what was the matter this time. I got up and found him standing at the gate with his rope-toy in his mouth, tail wagging expectantly. As I approached, he put the rope down and picked it up again several times, wagging his tail happily, quite sure that I was going to play tug-of-war with him at 3:48 in the morning. What is with my crazy nocturnal animals? 36 degrees, steady rain, and 16-20mph winds this morning when I set out for my run. I ran 5 miles outside, with mile #3 at tempo (8:25). Then I came home, stripped out of my wet clothes, and did this on the treadmill: (3 min @ 8:20/1 min @ 9:40) x 5 Then 3 miles @ 9:40 made a total of 10 miles. My legs were tired, tired, tired today, either from Sunday’s 20-miler or yesterday’s strength training or both. I think I will have to move my lower-body workout to Sunday and Thursday nights, thereby giving me Monday and Friday as complete leg-rest days, but it’s hard to conceive of doing a LR and then strength training the same day. Maybe I’ll have to cut back to once a week until after the marathons. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Getaway day in KS, just a half day's work. I'll be home by dinner. No running these two days to rest the foot, but will go out tomorrow for three or so. Well, the relay information is coming in in dribs and drabs, but the net of it is that it was a great victory for a fine group. I hope that SkipAZ is doing okay. Skip, if you're out there, check in with us and let us know. I heard from my brother in law Joe, he of the 30 year running streak as you may recall. He ran a 4:06 at the LA Marathon, a tough, hilly race. Not bad for a 68 year old. He will be at Boston this year and next. I'm proud of him. Spareribs
                    Great to see you Tim and glad you are feeling better. No running for me today....waiting to board a flight to Harrisburg (at Dulles now). Fitful night of sleep as well for me Holly, but probably because I was worried I wouldn't hear my 3 AM alarm (first flight was at 5:30). I tip toed around upstairs so as not to wake up Boogie the beagle. He is deaf and yet has an uncanny need to wake up at the slightest stirring. I made it out and all three "boys" were still snoring as the garage door closed. My Runners World quote of the day today was: "Good things come slowly---especially in distance running" (Bill Dellinger---legendary Univ. of Oregon coach) Spareribs, what happened to SkipAZ? I saw the team results and read what Evanflein and Ileneforward posted. Now I am worrying! It's 60F here in DC and will be close to that by the time I land in PA. Smile Until soon! CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #3309

I had a fitful night’s sleep last night, and at 3:48 am I heard the Dexter-dog whining softly at the gate in the hall that keeps him out of the bedrooms. I had let him out at 1:20 and 3:13, so I wondered what was the matter this time. I got up and found him standing at the gate with his rope-toy in his mouth, tail wagging expectantly. As I approached, he put the rope down and picked it up again several times, wagging his tail happily, quite sure that I was going to play tug-of-war with him at 3:48 in the morning. What is with my crazy nocturnal animals? Happy Tuesday!
                      No wonder your tired Holly Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Where's Dark Horse when you need him?!! Big grin
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hill Runner

Good morning all, It is starting to get a little warm here...63F at the start this morning. I had to drag myself up and out today as I just didni't feel like running this morning. 6.51 miles of hills @ 9:19 pace.. It was a lethargic run for me but as it turned out I ran all negative splits with the last mile @ 8:26 pace. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Dave59

I'm very tired and very busy but I thought I'd make a quick stop and say I ran 4 miles on the TM at the gym. I'll try to come by later and see what everyone else is up to today.

Good morning, all! Tim - glad to hear you are feeling better - you've had some good runs! Roy - - good to have you back again - missed your posts. Holly - Sounds like Dexter needs an adjustment to his biological clock ;-). A few years ago a trainer told me that he recommended only one day/week for leg weights during marathon training. He said 2 to 3 days/week was fine for the off season, base-building period, but that it was too much stress during the high mileage period. To those who thought 15 miles on the quarter mile track was heroic (and thanks for your support!), when I lived in Michigan, I used to do 20 milers on an indoor eighth mile track during the winter. As long as I have an audiobook, I don't mind the hamster-like tedium. 6.85 hilly, windy miles in balmy 45 degree temps this morning - I shoulda worn shorts! According to my calendar, we change over to daylight saving time on Sunday. I didn't realize the change was so early this year - that means the morning runs will be in the dark again - poop. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Morning all, Haven't posted in a few days because I spilled water all over my keyboard at home, while hydrating for my long run last Sat morning.
                                And the dog ate your homework? At least we haven't heard this non-post excuse before as far as I know. Wink
                                According to my calendar, we change over to daylight saving time on Sunday. I didn't realize the change was so early this year - that means the morning runs will be in the dark again - poop.
                                I'm with you on this one, Sue. Just as it's getting light enough to see well on an early morning run, we're going back into the darkness. Angry
                                As I approached, he put the rope down and picked it up again several times, wagging his tail happily, quite sure that I was going to play tug-of-war with him at 3:48 in the morning. What is with my crazy nocturnal animals?
                                Maybe I'll send my nocturnal son down there to play with him. My DS is apparently constitutionally unable to go to bed before 4AM. Of course, that woke me up this morning, and since my alarm goes off at 5:30 I was unable to fall back asleep. I hate to think of the coming conflict if he has to come back home to live after graduating in a couple of months... After feeling soreness/tightness in my leg when running yesterday, I just did weights this morning at the rec center. As a general self-evaluation, I got onto the hamstring curl machine (one where you lie prone and lift a bar with your ankles) and tried it with both legs and then one-legged. Nada -- no pain at all in the left leg, even with a decent weight selected. And this is purely a hamstring exercise. Not sure what this result means, but I'm anxious now to run again tomorrow and see how it works. ETA: Almost forgot to say "Welcome back, TomS. Glad to hear about your cruise, and that you were able to get some running into your "busy" schedule.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"