Masters Running

Tues 2-4 Master - Boomer's (Read 644 times)

Stunning day out for March here in CT! Ran 14.41 miles with my TP. Aamos -- I totally agree with your perspective about your race and the sad news that a runner died (yesterday's daily) . It is quite sad. But as we all know calling off the race would not have done him or anybody else any good. Spareribs -- every time I read about your job related traveling I think "boy am I glad I do not have his job!" But this is what makes the world run, we all like different things. You seem quite happy running around from place to place which given you do is quite nice!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

6 easy miles this morning,37 degrees when I started and 34 when I got home???? Holly,I have 2 pigs,I mean pugs at home and I have laminate floors...so I can hear them walking around at night... I will be running in downtown Lynnwood on Thursday and Friday mornings, so probably no posting and my girls have DI Regionals on Saturday...
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      btb1490

Hello gang! Aamos- did you bring some of that springtime home with you? Thank you for your post yesterday. ...savor something about your day you might otherwise have ignored... . That was nice. There really is a lot out there that we take for granted every day. Like being able to simply swing our legs over the bed in the AM and stand up. RIP Adam Nichol. wildchild- being able to run by feel is a great ability to have. I agree that the Garmin is a great training tool, but so many people I know have become too dependent on them, forgetting how to run on their own. Also, the success or failure of a run shouldn't be determines by the clock or miles, as you found out yesterday. Smile Mariposai- I hope you and your family feel better soon! Teresa- talk about motivation to finish your run in time! eliz- how long have you had the orthotics? They should only take a few days to a week to get used to them. These things are an art as much as a science, and often times it takes a few tries to get them right. If you aren't feeling good in them soon, I'd head back to their maker. Sounds like you had a nice scenic run at least, soon to be graced with egrets. runningindc- that was some speedy warmup you had! Wink Are you able to eat normally today? JJJ- I'm learning about those types of runs from you! vista- what a great opportunity you have to help your friend out. It speaks volumes about your character that you were the person entrusted by your friend to help. A big heart always has the capacity to do more, and you've shown that to be true. biketm- there you are! I'm glad you are finally back to 100% again. Thanks for the kickoff this morning. RoyC- what's the verdict on your training plan? WRFB- less than 7 weeks to go and you're rolling right along. anachrotech- Hi! Welcome back! Please don't be a stranger so much. Keep those joints moving! perchcreek- sounds like spring has sprung by you. breger- if your clone is like you, then yes, he is in great shape right now! Holly- get that pooch out running with you, and it will have no trouble sleeping through the night! Hopefully you will keep your head from hitting the keyboard at work today. Maybe I’ll have to cut back to once a week until after the marathons. Smile This has my vote! Chances are you are still recovering from your long run and yardwork. But as I mentioned the other day, if this feeling persists, maybe a checkup is in order. Spareribs- good luck with your run tomorrow! CNY- I'll bet Boogie is afraid he'll miss out on some quality pets, or else a snack! Nice quote, thanks for that. So many people are impatient and want the fast track to doing well in the marathon. Most times taking that path doesn't end well. I hope you get some time to read this article, it's really good. http://home.hia.no/~stephens/torart.htm Get some sleep tonight! PeterNC- Isn't it great when runs turn out that way? Dave- thanks for checking in as you zoom on by... SueT- ok, yes I thought your 15 miles on the track was heroic, but now that I know you ran multiple 20 milers on an indoor track, I take it back. You are just plain crazy. Wink I'm thinking the same thing about DST coming early... poop. Rochrunner- did those leg curls bother you when you were injured? If so, then being able to do them pain free now is a great thing! Perhaps your leg just has some residual knots in it from the injury. Think about getting a deep tissue massage to break things up a bit. Twocat- it wasn't super windy by you this AM? Geez, here if something wasn't nailed down outside, it was gone! lyndenrunner- talk about a cold front moving in. No running today for me, a scheduled rest day. I too joined the restless night bandwagon that seems to be going on around here. Can't blame it on the dog either, he sleeps like a log at night. Someone could walk off with half the house and he would never know it. I'm taking prednisone for my sinuses right now, can that cause you to be wired? Got up at 1am and felt like I was ready to go. Did some yoga and core work and other stuff this morning. Haircut at lunchtime. Unrelated to anything, I have solar power for my house for electricity. Over the past couple of months I've been noticing that my electric bills have been on the positive side instead of showing credits. I thought maybe it was due to a cloudier than normal winter this year. But on Sunday after my long run, I looked at my power meter and it was still running forward instead of backward, which was very odd because it was a bright sunny day, and I knew nothing was on in the house other than the usual appliances. I check the inverter which is the thing that converts the DC current from the solar panels to AC current that your house uses, and it's dead as a doornail. It probably has been like that for a while. DOH! The guy came and swapped it out yesterday, and the meter was back to spinning backwards this morning! Yay! These are the things that I find exciting! sigh... Wishing you ALL a great Tuesday!
        mustang sally

Bad faerie

Skip's fine - no worries necessary. He started the relay feeling a little under the weather, although none of us knew it: he decided that the way to support his team was to Soldier On Manfully. Unfortunately, the flu and the desert sun caught up with him, and he needed some pretty intense rehydration - more than we could handle with Gatorade. He bounced back quickly once he got some medical help, and was released into the tender care of his SIL to rest and recover from the flu bug. Other team-members picked up his remaining legs, and we were overjoyed to see him after the race, looking much happier. His gracious hosting, fine cooking, and stalwart support made the whole effort possible. Am planning on about 13km on rolling hills today, as if I didn't get enough hillwork in the desert over the weekend Smile
            Second day home with my son who is sick, mild flu? We both had a much needed nap yesterday afternoon (me because of the 20 miler the day before!). DH had this crud last week, I wonder if I will be able to dodge this bullet before my HM on Sunday? Will head to the gym tonight for 8 on the TM. It's fun reading about the ragnar relay over at KR. Great desert photos. It's motivation for me to get faster and stronger so that one day I might be able to partake in one of these events. Smile Good runs all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Mustang Sally, now when I see the skirt in your avatar, it brings back a bunch of happy memories... and visions of dAAve... oy. Big grin The colder temps of yesterday morning have passed and we're having wonderful mild weather now. Should see +35 today! I brought my running togs to work and will head out on some not-so-hilly terrain after work for about 5 miles, plan is for EZ to recovery pace. Holly, I don't know anyone who would condone the kind of constant workouts you give your legs. You really do need some rest days in there, and that doesn't mean knock out 60 one-legged squats... Roll eyes
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Beatufiul" day in Maine - 38 degrees at the time of my run (8:30 am). Windy, but it felt OK since it was so warm! My running partner and I decided the main road in our area was still too icy and narrow, so we headed to our favorite rural road - wide, sunny, and very little traffic. We ran 4.1 miles, and it felt great. My RP hasn't been running much, so I was actually out in front of her for a change! Good for the ego, lol. This was my 6th day of running in a row, another record. Being a newbie is great because I'm continually setting new records for myself! Tomorrow will be a rest day. Have a good one! Teresa
                  Track workout tonight. It's supposed to be a 2 mile TT. Not sure yet what I'll do. Feel good post relay, but I've got a half marathon this weekend and want to be well rested and still recovering from my marathon, too. Will post something eventually over on Kick about the relay. I find it really hard to write an individual report for a relay. Suffice to say, I had a wonderful time and came home with many good memories and new and strengthened friendships. Good times. Erika. Snork! This coming from the woman who ran 14 miles the morning after we finished the relay.... Tongue I agree, Holly, that I think you overdo it sometimes. I just don't think you give your body the rest --complete rest -- it probably needs. It could also be why you aren't happy with your long runs. At this point in your training, your 20 milers shouldn't be feeling quite so difficult. ( My two cents. Look at my log, though, and you see what a cross-training slacker I am. Roll eyes )
                  evanflein

Erika. Snork! This coming from the woman who ran 14 miles the morning after we finished the relay.... Tongue
                    Yeah, but rest days are sacred and I always get one a week if not two!! (of course, that's cuz I'm lazy and frequently blow off my XT days...) Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika and Soundie – you’re probably both right. I thought that by giving up the weights and just doing exercises, that would be okay, but I think even that may be too much right now. But in my last training cycle I kept up the weights all through the training – it’s not actually that big a workout. I’m just running more miles this time out.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, think of cross training as complementing your running, not taking anything away from it during marathon training. I do very little cross training while training for a marathon. Some yoga, walking the dogs and maybe some rowing or light weights when I feel like it and have the time. If I skip the cross training, I don't beat myself up about it one bit because it's running and the mileage I'm focusing on. I leave the "serious" cross training to recovery periods (or periods when I'm injured...) Then, its purpose is to give both my mind and my legs a good break for a while. That's usually cycling for me. (Gah, you know, just writing this, I am really looking forward to cycling this summer.)
                          I think it would be fun to put Erika, Holly and Sound all on a track and see WHO would quit first. The peer pressure and the conditioning of the three of you would be a RIOT to watch kick in. Mind you, watching the three of you run would be fun in itself, but that is another topic. My heart is 3.5 miles stronger this evening thanks to a nice run at lunch time in 69 degree weather. We got a little rain last night and that was most certainly welcome. We are already 3 inches behind in rain fall for this year and it is only March. btb.....that solar power is interesting. I am the president of the local homeowners association and we have been asked to look at allowing owners to put in solar panels on the roof. So the dial goes in REVERSE? Interesting. I need to look into all of that more. teresa.......I have done that same thing as a new runner. If I had never run the 2.8 mile distance, I would do that so that I could say I had a PR at that distance. It is all a part of the mind game that we use in order to accomplish the physical part of the run. If it works for us.....then let's do it. Everyone be careful. There is a lot of sickness going around from the sounds of your posts. Avoid it like the plague. Basketball time. Have a good evening folks
                          Vista
                            I think it would be fun to put Erika, Holly and Sound all on a track and see WHO would quit first. The peer pressure and the conditioning of the three of you would be a RIOT to watch kick in. Mind you, watching the three of you run would be fun in itself, but that is another topic. My heart is 3.5 miles stronger this evening thanks to a nice run at lunch time in 69 degree weather. Have a good evening folks
                            lol. You've been paying attention (as always) vista. Wink I like how you put that -- your heart being 3.5 miles stronger. Nice imagery. Nice run. To you, too.
                            btb1490

btb.....that solar power is interesting. I am the president of the local homeowners association and we have been asked to look at allowing owners to put in solar panels on the roof. So the dial goes in REVERSE? Interesting. I need to look into all of that more.
                              Cool! Email me if you have any questions or want more info. My email address is in my profile. Yes, the meter does spin backwards. I'm not sure if your utility company allows you to sell back excess electricity to them. If they do, and if you want to take advantage of that, you'll need to replace your old dial meter with a new digital one. It's not as glamorous as the dial one though, it just shows an arrow pointing to the right if you are using electricity, or pointing to the left if you are selling back. You can keep the dial one if you really like to see it spin backwards, but then you can't take advantage of selling back to the utility company. Keep me posted!
                              evanflein

I think it would be fun to put Erika, Holly and Sound all on a track and see WHO would quit first.
                                On a track?? I'm out... can't do the running in circles thing very much. Put me on a trail though, and I'll see you next week! Big grin