Masters Running

Wednesday 4/3/19 (Read 45 times)

SteveP

RunnerKSA has 3.5 miles on the treadmill. It's still too dark for her taste. Her PM bonus run is out doors for 2.1 miles.

Rochrunner, I'm sorry about your loss. He also gets 3.5 trail miles in with DW.

AnneB gets 4.6 outdoors.

Coastwalker gets 5.4 miles in. I don't care for the light headed stuff.

Stumpy checks in from NC.

Wilma Wonka geared up at the Y. She had an amazing hour on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the recumbent bike and 20 min weights and core.

HollyS has 5.1 miles before work.

Joe618 throws out the SOS for 6 miles with a couple of near hits from invisible runners.

Fatozzig is tracking down the source of pain. I hope the floater catches on quickly.

Dnaff is planning on four miles.

Tom White gets 40 minutes of cycling in despite knee pain. I hope Pickles' conditions clear up.

Anzlo breaks rule # 1 for five miles!!!

Henrun has a 4 miles river run before yoga.

Tramps beats the rain with a 22 mile ride.

MikeE is chatty and records a weights work out.

TwoCat has 6 miles and has been given the green light for speed work! POW!

Tetsujin209 cross trains in the garden.

Mariposai has a barking knee. hopefully rest will fix it.

Evanflein has a nice 5.1 though the knee got a little tight.

I was on tap for a manhandle day at work and was only going to run light, if at all. The rain/snow made the decision easy. I'm in and out of that stuff all day. DW hit the mall and got 2 miles in before going to a penance service at one of the churches.It's like a quicky confession. There were hundreds of us in attendance and a dozen priests to listen. I didn't get into specifics, but had plenty of time for self reflection prior to admitting the nature of my short comings to another person.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve. "Quicky confession?" Is that something like speed dating?

Pretty scary near-misses (or near-hits) in the dark, Joe. I don't understand why people don't make sure they can be seen if they are out in the dark. Are they competing for a Darwin Award? "Christmas tree" Twocat may go to the other extreme, but better that than making yourself almost invisible.

Official sunrise here is 6:23 and, as Anneb said, it starts to get light about 20-30 minutes earlier than that. We're also a lot closer to the eastern edge of our time zone. But for some of us, sunrise is still too late to be able to workout outside without headlamps and reflective gear. Maybe in another couple of months...

Bummer about the bilateral knee pain, Tomwhite. You and Pickles are quite the team.

How well you'll like retirement, KSA, depends on what you plan on doing with your time. There is no reason you can't be just as social and as challenged as you are now, just in different (maybe even more enjoyable) ways.

How long did it take her to tell you to grow it back?

Less than a day.

Ready for speedwork, Twocat - wow!

I hope some rest helps your knee, Mariposai.

This morning's nor' easter wasn't as intense as predicted, but there was still enough rain and wind to lead me to another morning of sleeping in. And I did sleep (unlike other mornings when I read or work instead), so I must have needed it.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve.  Good morning, Masters!

3.5 treadmill miles this morning.  Didn't feel quite as tired and picked up the pace a little.

My job is somewhat unique in that I get to interact with more interesting, intelligent people and deal with some fun issues (and some boring and not fun) day in and day out.  I have friends outside of work, of course, through running, church and other interests, but the level of discourse is not the same.  No insult to my friends, but my profession and where I've landed in this last job makes for an extremely challenging (in a good way- usually) job with a lot of rewards.    Minor things-  I would probably lose my Southwest Airlines A List status (unless I traveled a lot on personal trips- which I might),  I wouldn't get to go to really fun legal conferences and would definitely lose touch with those people, I would lose my discount at our stores Smile .    First world problems, as they say.....   That said, I don't want to get too old to travel more and just....RELAX!!!!!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks again, Steve.

Sorry Mike.

KSA--similar issues in my case, though it's easier for me to keep in touch and interact with colleagues. I'm trying to wrap things up and ease into retirement but I keep getting asked to take on or continue projects.

Another chilly, below-freezing morning but it should warm up nicely today.

4 mile run for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

Good morning all! Lots of chatter yesterday.

Joe and Twocat - it always amazes that I see runners out in the dark with no headlamp/etc, but also so reflective gear at all. As I am wearing a light (but don’t see anyone who’s not reflective until really close) I figure they see me and could at least call out “morning” or something. But usually they don’t 🙄

I also echo the whole dark work clothes/dark neighborhood thing. I am probably guilty. While we have some street lights, I live in a wooded neighborhood that is very dark. To make things worse, when there is a lot of snow lots of people walk to/from train in the street to avoid un-shoveled walks. Or in heavy rains some corners flood and you also walk in the street.

Twocat - speedwork! That’s really something.

I had had planned on running an hour today, BUT that doesn’t work with sleeping in until 6- oops. I got up, but only had time for 40 minutes, so 3.7 miles around the neighborhood. 39 degrees, pretty quiet, not dark. Just a few more degrees and I’ll be in shorts everyday.

Anne

mrrun

Steve - as usual thx for recap

twocat - congrats on next steps

((roch)) - my sister is the matriarch now and has been for over 10 years

I've always been jealous of the late sunset in Holly's area (where Henry's DD lives also)

I don't usually run in dark (lots of walking but generally well-lit streets), but biking I do look like a Christmas tree with flashing lights/ bright colors etc. i figure the only cars that will miss me are texting..

Out this morning for 3 mile power walk to be followed by another couple later on when we're off to our weekly lecture series.

Off to enjoy another wonderful day of retirement - and yes, like everything, retirement is what you make of it.

marj

,,,howdy......

just figured out what I was doing Wrong

kneeling during yard-work,

then

rocking back on my heels which puts the pressure on my knees

gonna stick with cycling

for the rest of the week,

sit on my tuckus during yard-work

then

ease back into doing the soccerfields

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

How well you'll like retirement, KSA, depends on what you plan on doing with your time.

Agreed. I was worried about slipping into idleness and not feeling useful but it's been several years and that hasn't happened yet. I LOVE the free time to travel, spend extra time running and working out and hanging out with my grandkids. I have time to volunteer in my community, go to the library and just do "random" things, like decide to hop on my bike and ride one of the trails for an hour or two. I haven't had any problems picking up an odd job when I feel like working, though the salary is definitely not the same! Still, it's been very enjoyable, and DH and I haven't killed each other yet, being together a lot more during the day   Do it while you're feeling great and able to travel and do things you love. After losing my sister so unexpectedly a few years ago, I realize that life is too short. That's my .02 worth anyway.

Thanks for the recap Steve, and sorry about the bad day at work.

Nice runs Tramps and anneb.

Sorry about your bad weather Jay.

Take care of yourself Tom.

Twocat!! How cool is that? Good luck with your speed work this weekend.

45 minutes on the elliptical this morning, then 4.5 miles on the trail with the Y girls. It was "brisk" out there. Temp only 34° but at least it's getting light out earlier and the sunrise was gorgeous. Definitely worth the chill.

Ok - your resident TV critic has another review for you this morning. DH and I watched "The Highwaymen" on Netflix last night. Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner played the part of two "retired" Texas Rangers out to find Bonnie and Clyde. And even though we all know how it ends, just a great "redo" of the story. Some interesting facts at the end - I think 15,000 people went to Bonnie's funeral, and like 10,000 to Clyde's? They were definitely the hero couple of the downtrodden back in the Depression years.

Have a great day folks!

Tramps

DH and I watched "The Highwaymen" on Netflix last night. Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner played the part of two "retired" Texas Rangers out to find Bonnie and Clyde. 

Thanks. That's on my "to watch" list. I also noted your mention of that PBS series.

I'll watch anything Ricky Gervais does. Loved the original "Office" and his comedy specials; "Extras" was good too. His two most-recent mini-series "Derek" and, now, "After Life" are wonderfully poignant and uplifting, while not being saccharine--a very tough balance to achieve. They celebrate ordinary people--warts and all--and the efforts of some to be kind. Not a bad message these days.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't usually run in dark (lots of walking but generally well-lit streets), but biking I do look like a Christmas tree with flashing lights/ bright colors etc. i figure the only cars that will miss me are texting..

Actually, we hope ALL the cars miss you.  While dog walking I have a hi-vis jacket that has both fluorescent yellow AND orange, plus many strips of reflective tape.  Doggo has a bright orange light up collar.  Figure IF someone does hit me/us, at least DW will get a good settlement. 

What's that quote about good intentions?  anyway, no TM this morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!  Had a couple of doctor appointments yesterday -- routine checkup things, so no biking yesterday.  I did do yoga, though.  Both yoga and biking today.  Oh, and quartet rehearsal tonight!

I finished reformatting my files, so now I can try the upload again.  Here's hoping more than the first dataset goes in!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Other thing for me wrt retirement is that I have some golden handcuff type incentives here so that when I do leave I'm leaving a lot of $$ on the table because I have stock units that vest in the future and every year I get more.  Of course, you just have to pull the plug at some point, but it makes it a little harder to do.  That's besides walking away from the salary and what I consider really good insurance benefits.   I don't quite trust what might happen with Medicare, either.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Steve - Quicky Confession, I've never heard it called that.  I think a lot of people enjoy the communal services because there's a greater chance of not getting your own priest.

KSA - I retired at 52, so closing in on 8 years.  I've enjoyed every bit of it.  Some of the things I worried about missing out on never really mattered anyway.  I read somewhere (and wish I could find the link) that the people surveyed who worked until 65 only enjoyed 3 years of retirement.  So something to be said for getting out earlier and enjoying more retirement years.

Chiming in on looking like a Christmas tree in the dark - I've not had much trouble when running, but walking the dog often.  She and I now wear flashing gear.  Collar and leash for her and a belt for me.  Most needed in the winter when lack of shoveled sidewalks forces us out into the street.

4 mile time trial last night and I ran the exact time as the last time.  And characteristically predicted a way different time so I wasn't in the running for any prizes.  There was so much icy wind last night that I built a minute into my time that I ended up not needing.

Joe618

I wonder if I would like retirement?  I really like the socialization I get from my job, but the day after day thing is getting to me.

So coincidental you mentioned this on Tuesday, Karen.   I had the exact same reaction to my day.    Like many of you (and as Karen describes specifically), I like my job and have very interesting things to do while manufacturing medical devices.    And there are days (more than there seemed to used to be, or so my DW observes) when I feel I could walk away and be just fine.   It's not too far in the future, I'm sensing.   But not yet.

Wednesday rest day from running. 

So much I would like to comment on from all of you but gotta go! 

Rock the day.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Anzlo

Steve - Thanks for the recap, I think, apparently I am in violation of Rule #1.

Help, what is Rule #1 ? ... I don't want to break it again Smile

Continuing my alternating day, run/walk and walk only, I did my 3 mile walk followed by some light strength training today.  So far so good, almost 3 weeks into this new workout routine with adjusted trial by error diet and feeling pretty good here. Off to some real life stuff rather than fun stuff.

Have a good day runfolk !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD