Masters Running


Tuesday August 14 (Read 356 times)

Bushrat Runner

    Ran the world-famous Valley Road Run yesterday. The writeup will take me a while, so I'll get it done as soon as I can. But the summary version...we had glorious weather, we ran, we exulted, we bonked, we crossed rivers, we encountered the largest bear in the history of earth on the road and we backed off and so did he...and we all finished, but barely...


    The longer version will be...longer...when it is done...


    And it turns out the valley road run really is 23.00 miles...unfortunately my legs really were about 18.7 miles there was some pain involved...

    Shirtless wonder

      Great job yesteday Troy.  Looking forward to race report...


      Out for 5+ miles today.  Humid with temps around 68F, which given the high temps we been having of late, felt good.  Nothing exciting animal or otherwise this morning just an early pre-dawn run.  Average pace was just under 8 min miles.  Started to drizzle on last mile which felt good on skin. 


      Have a great Tuesday.


      Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 


        Sounds great, Troy!

        Joe--yeah, if it's gonna be drippy humid, you might as well get a drizzle to cool things down.


        I’m very far behind but just saw Dove’s victory this weekend.  Impressive!

        Nice racing for Mike and his son, too.

        And Erika! You’ve got guts and are a good sport to do that fundraiser.  Nice job.


        Thanks for the computer advice yesterday.  Didn’t get a chance to open up the case last night because I was installing kitchen cabinets and…surprise! …it took a tad longer than I’d hoped. Roll eyes  I’ll get to it tonight, though.  And, yes, I’m vigilant about back-ups.


        Easy 5.4 miles in pretty swampy weather today.

          Let me know what you find Tramps. I was going to add in the part that Byll spoke off. Blowinging all the dust bunnies out. It'll be full of them.


          An easy 6 this morning.


          Just Running...It took me a while but I've finally broke free of the electronic leashes. I am now running more often without any type of timing or measuring device than I am running with one. A sub 2:30 marathoner and Sub 9 hr Ironman, (101st in Kona) does it, why shouldn't.


          He's got some very interesting theories that make sense...some mental, some physical. I will be doing a track workout without a watch this week. This will put my anal tendencies to the test.

          King of PhotoShop

            If Troy writes it, I'll read it.


            Tramps:  I liked Bill's advice to do it outside and don't ask him how he knows this.


            5 easy with my RP.  Trying to get as many miles in early in the week as I am taking Thursday off from running. I have to go to court as a witness in an assault case.


            This chemical element gets its name from the Latin word Stannum.   Spareribs





              who did you assault?  I mean, see assaulted?


              Running is stupid


                Mornin' all,


                I got up late this morning (woke at 3:30, and the next time I opened my eyes it was 4:30), so I shortened my workout to a quick 4.2 miles. Two meetings took up 4 hours of my morning, and we have inlaws (with their kids) coming for an overnight stay on their way from NJ to Maine for a get-away. DW was sick yesterday (but is, thankfully, better today). I'm a little a little overwhelmed, but I'm still smiling, so lief is good.


                Congrats to Dove, Mike, the kitchen crews for their good work, Mariposai on her anniversary (sorry I'm late), and anyone else I've missed in my absence. Gotta go...



                Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

                MM #5616

                   I'm a little a little overwhelmed, but I'm still smiling, so lief is good.




                  Yeah, you sound a little a little overwhelmed!  Me too.  But lief is good. 


                  Congrats on completing the run, Troy. Looking forward to your report.


                  Nice cool 6.3 miles this morning in Bear Creek Lake Park.




                  I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

                  King of PhotoShop

                    Well I had to give you an easy one.  No one would answer any of the others.


                    Here's my main guy in better days:





                      Dove, just incredible!!!  Yeah for making the competition crumble!!!


                      Spent the whole weekend being a tourist with my sister in Seattle.  I am kind of all "Seattled-out" so to speak.  The weather has been amazing - low to mid 80s, sunny sunny sunny and another little heat wave coming our way this week with temps over 90.  The best part is the mornings that are relatively cool, so I can still run.  I managed to sneak out for 4.2 miles on Saturday morning before my sis woke up, and then yesterday we did a hike.  We had a really good visit together.  I put her on the Amtrak train headed to Vancouver BC last night so now I am back to my usual routine.  4.2 miles this morning, still no Garmin and I am starting to like it that way, just like SLO.

                      "During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

                        Good thing our grandson wasn't with you Troy. He'd want you to bring the bear home.


                        Cool Enke.


                        We got some rain last night and there was fog this morning. It seemed like a great opportunity to run up and down the clay covered trails. Tag and I spent an hour on them. In one spot, we spooked up nearly a dozen partridges on the out and on the back. The down hills were pretty steep. As well as looking out for my footing, I also had to look ahead at the hair pin turns and decide which trees had the fewest thorns when they assisted me on the turns. 


                          Hello.  My boring life continues.  Running, working, and trying to keep up with the grand kid.  Today was 3 miles on the gym TM and then I killed myself with a tough workout (after not being at the gym for a few weeks.)  I hope I will be able to stand up tomorrow morning.


                          I am submitting a request to a local college (Saginaw Valley State) for an intern that will keep up with all the stuff going on here and craft appropriate shout-outs.  In the meantime, congratulations to Dove for 1st overall in her ultra.  That is amazing.  All the rest of you get a pat on the back too. 


                          I just received a copy of 14 Days to Alaska.  It came through the air to my Kindle.  I'm looking forward to reading it soon.  I sure do love the Kindle.  I love real books even better, but when you are extremely lazy and want instant gratification is there anything better than the Kindle (and Netflix and Amazon Instant Prime....?)

                          And so it goes

                            Posting from my iPhone here, so this will be short. I am in Olympia for work. Last night I ran on the Woodland Trail for 7 miles. What a great trail to run this morning was starting my run at 5:30 as glympses of stars provided a lie bit of light to my path. It is amazing how dark is at that hour. Oh,this morning was 9 miles with zombieslecks. Smile))

                            "Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

                              ...Leif is just like that sometimes jay//................hang in there




                              ..........34min poolrun



                              a lace-up backbrace, so I tied my shoes today................... maybe Leif is just like that

                              ..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

                              The Goofinator


                                Tramps:  I liked Bill's advice to do it outside and don't ask him how he knows this.



                                I am not touching this with a 10-foot pole.  Nope.  . . . walking away . . .


                                I wasn't particularly motivated to get up this a.m., but was out the door by 5:00 for an EZ 3 miles, followed by an hour of core/strength training whilst watching "Mona Lisa Smiles."  I'd forgotten how good that movie is.  And apparently my arms are still sore from Saturday's chopping and pruning fest as they are especially cranky at the moment.


                                Now I'm watching our office parakeet to see if he'll eat the treat of hard boiled egg yolk mixed with his carrots.  He's sitting on the treat bowl

                                'cause I hung his mirror behind it, but so far no luck.  He seems off his apples and pears, so I've been trying to introduce new things.  He's stubborn, but from what I've read on the budgie forums, it's par for the course.


                                He sure is a happy little camper, and there's been more than a few times clients have wandered back into our office looking for him when he's in full happy mode, i.e., screeching, chirping, and generally  making as much noise as possible - usually when there's three or more of us in the office talking or one of us is on the phone.  Then, he feels like he has to out-volume everybody.

                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain


                                Trail Runner Nation