Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 1 (Read 441 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, here we go again..... Smile At least I am starting out with a more positive note this time: I managed to lose a 1/2 lb. Not much, but a step in the right direction. My Healthy Eating goal this week is to NOT go right to the snack cupboard when I get home from work for a handful of pretzels, cheese puffs, or roasted peanuts (I have trouble stopping with these) or some other salty snack. I get home too hungry to be able to stop with a reasonable amount, and end up scarfing down several hundred mindless calories before I even begin dinner. I will try having something healthy already prepared, like carrot sticks or grapes or chopped veggies or a small salad already made. My focus actually is not even the deletion of the snack but to make it something healthy and more filling, a prelude to dinner. So, how about you guys?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Starting this one off officially under 200 lbs. I weighed 199 this morning, down 2 from last week. My goal for this week is to continue what has been successful and when vacation is over to get back to getting my workout in early in the morning. Holly I think your plan is solid. The change is smart, simple, and it is not overwhelming to change just one thing. Way to go!

Renee the dog

Starting at exactly 135 lbs. More fruits and veggies. That's my plan to save my sorry _ _ _. (It really is a sorry looking one right now...) I am woefully deficient in the fruit/veggie area in the winter. Been making some casseroles and curries that I will put more veggies into, and I'll buy more fruit to make sure there's enough for the kids and me. They've been eating more, and I have been skipping the apples/oranges/berries in the fridge to save for the kids. Gee...maybe if I just buy some more, we can all have some..... Black eye

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Morning guys. Holding steady at 125, which is kind of depressing after being sick the last 2 weeks and taking antibiotics that made me lose my appetite. My goal this week is to try and eat something for breakfast. I don't have any appetite in the mornings (even after running) so I usually have coffee and a glass of milk or juice with my vitamins. By 10:00 or 11:00, I'm always starving and end up shoving anything available in my mouth (and this is NEVER a good thing). So, I will force myself to eat a piece of toast or yogurt to see if that helps. I've also tossed all the valentine peanut M&M's and candy conversation hearts. Is it too early to look for Easter peeps and jelly beans? Evil grin

Marathon Maniac #957

I've also tossed all the valentine peanut M&M's and candy conversation hearts.
            DH went to the grocery this morning, and I told him to keep a lookout for Valentine's chocolate on clearance.... Blush

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Well, I'm nothing if not consistent! 141.5 this morning, same as the last three or four weeks. At least maintaining is better than gaining... But geez, I'm running 50 miles a week and trying to watch what I eat... what would happen if I stopped running and stopped paying attention? Scary to think... Like Holly, my problem is that time after work and before we have dinner. With our crazy schedule, we're frequently having dinner after 8 pm, so there's too much opportunity for mischief in the kitchen... So as usual, my goal is to get a handle on that.
                Thanks, Holly. Glad to start this (yet) again. Found out yesterday that our team in the school district's biggest loser challenge is 4th out of 11 - not bad considering that we're in the middle of production of the school musical (read: lots of stress eating). We figure we're within striking distance of the leaders, even though they're an all-male team and, as a friend once put it, men just need to think about losing weight and they do. Anyway, I'm going to continue with my quasi-healthy eating until Fat (fatter-than-I'd-like) Tuesday, and then get in the BL game big-time on Wednesday. Hoping to be down 1-2 pounds by next Thursday. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

I can't go with today's weight - it's lying. Evil grin It says I'm up 2 lbs from just Sunday when I weighed and I KNOW I'm less. I can tell the way my pants fit. I had a fairly salty dinner last night, so will weigh myself again tomorrow a.m., and Saturday to get a more accurate estimate of my real weight.

Tammy

Hey All - Holly - Your plan to change what your munching on is a solid one. Sometimes it helps just to relieve that craving a bit. Through in an 8 oz glass of water, and you'll find your tummy much more satisfied. JLynne - You definitely need to be eating something in the morning, especially if you're working out. It's been proven that eating a healthy breakfast in the a.m. jump starts the metabolism and helps the weight loss. When my DH adhered to that -oh so long ago - he did very well in the weight loss department. His problem is he quit doing anything remotely health for himself. Evil grin Cranium - Congratulations! You've made some great changes to your eating habits and it's definitely working for you. And a gradual weight loss is much easier to maintain. Nono - When you partake of the fruits and berries as well, just think of it as being the post child for your kids on eating right. Smile Eliza - 4th out of 11. Kudos to your team! And yes (sorry Cranium), but weight loss is much easier for men. Sucks, but true. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after my surgery. I feel good, which means I have to remind myself that my body was invaded and and organ was removed, so take it easy. One positive side effect of this has been almost no appetite. I don't recall having a single hunger pang since my surgery on the 10th. That, with the added problems of gas build up and not being able to go to the bathroom, kept me from eating a whole lot last week. Consequently (but not in a bad way), I was down to 139 this a.m. Yea! Wish the not hungry feelings would stick around for awhile, but sadly, once I'm able to work out with gusto again, they'll probably come back. {{{sigh}}} My goal over these next 5 weeks to stay within 1 or 2 pounds of 140. The scone I'm cramming into my mouth right now probably won't help. But I did discover these whole wheat and raisin bagel bars at a different Safeway, so I'm going back there at lunch today to stock up for the freezer. Me LOVES my bagel and coffee for breakfast, and these appear to be healthier than that white flour crap I've been buying. Good luck, everyone!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

DoppleBock

I can't go with today's weight - it's lying. Evil grin It says I'm up 2 lbs from just Sunday when I weighed and I KNOW I'm less. I can tell the way my pants fit. I had a fairly salty dinner last night, so will weigh myself again tomorrow a.m., and Saturday to get a more accurate estimate of my real weight.
                      Wow you think about it a lot ... Funny things is after a week of boozing and glutony, I was up 20 pounds over the Monday before ... but I can't go with that weight as I know I had a liter of absolut in each shoe ... So I will skip this week and weigh next week. If only the scale moved a few pounds from water weight etc. I am not making fun, just saying you do not have it too bad - Good luck all. I was 230# on Monday ... I will likely be 215# next monday after I get the poison out of my body - With a goal of 190 my April 30th. No small change will do it for me ... I am good 80% of the time, but when I am bad I am soooooo bad that there is no recovery. My goal is to avg < 3,700 calories a day. last week was closer to 6,000 per day. oh and booze is evil, booze is evil, booze is evil! 3,700="" calories="" a="" day.="" last="" week="" was="" closer="" to="" 6,000="" per="" day.="" oh="" and="" booze="" is="" evil,="" booze="" is="" evil,="" booze="" is=""></ 3,700 calories a day. last week was closer to 6,000 per day. oh and booze is evil, booze is evil, booze is evil!>

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Holly, Think I will join you on this one. Are we supposed to post our total goal or weekly goal? Total goal for me is 10lbs. The WII Fit says I am 6 pounds over my usual weight but I would feel better losing 10lbs. I dont really have a weekly goal but would be happy with 1 lb per week. I do the same thing. I get home starving and the first thing I find goes in my mouth. So I guess the secret is to not have the sweets and fat treats in the house. Maybe having the veggies and fruit snacks precut and waiting to be eaten would help too. Heres a good salad recipe if any one wants it. -spring mix -chopped tomatoes (1/4 inch) -chopped onion -canned corn -black beans -a small avacado -small bit of crumbled tortilla chips -small grilled spiced chicken breast. My kids like it without the chicken. -small wedge of quesdilla -dressing. It goes well with ranch and you need a little fat in your salad. Hi Eliz. Good luck to all. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Another thing that might help you pre-dinner snackers is to have a healthy treat in the car that you can munch on the way home while you're battling the traffic. Lots of times that's when I'll eat my (almost) daily apple. If you missed it last time, here's a low-cal granola recipe I really like. Sorry Holly, I never got back to see your question re calories. The cookbook doesn't list the calorie, fat, etc., content, unfortunately. However, the brown sugar is the highest fat item in recipe, and at only 1 to 1 1/2 cups per 8 cups of oats, it's fairly low fat. Plus, I was reading an article in the WebMD magazine the other day that recommended, for heart healthy reasons, eating 6 walnuts a day. I'll look and see if I can find it again. Nuts, in moderation, have the good fats. A good way to portion something like this out for yourself is to use a measuring cup as opposed to handfuls and limited yourself to, say, 1/2 a cup 2-3 times a day. I often use those snack size baggies for snacks such as this since they don't hold much. These are just some tools I use to help myself. Mind over matter can be a tuff thing. Crunchy Granola (from Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen Daelemans) 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar 1/2 cup water 4 tsp pure vanilla extract 1 tsp salt 8 cups old fashioned rolled oats 2 cups chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds Dried fruit (optional) Preheat oven to 275. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microwave-proof glass measuring cup or bowl. No smaller - it could boil over. Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from microwave and add vanilla extract and salt. Stir to combine until salt is dissolved. Place oats and nuts in a large bowl and pour brown sugar syrup over them. Stir until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture on cookie sheets and bake 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. When mixture comes out of oven, it is still very pliable. You may choose to add dried fruit as a finishing touch at this time. When granola has cooled completely, store in airtight container. You can make this with 1 cup brown sugar and it won't be as clumpy or you can make it with up to 1 1/2 cups and it will be clumpier. Manipulate the raw granola just before you put it in the oven by squeezing it together in your hands and drop it onto the cookie sheets. The granola will clump together; however, once it is cooked, handle carefully or the nuggets will fall apart. PS - You may need to slightly butter your hands to keep the granola from sticking to it. I love this stuff in yogurt. Also, it makes so much, and depending on how fast you eat it, you may want to consider adding the dried fruit as you eat it. Otherwise, the fruit tends to get hard. I buy almonds, apricots, and dried cranberries in bulk and roughly chop the nuts and apricots. This makes A LOT, so I don't recommend doubling the recipe until you've made it at least once and see how fast you and family go through it.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Laurie - That salad is right up my alley. Thanks!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie - forgot to tell you. I made your granola recipe this week. It's awesome! Great just to eat but also wonderful on top of yogurt. Thanks for sharing! ETA Welcome Laurie! Post often and let us know how you're doing.
                                Hi Friends - down 1 lb from last week here -- my scale doesn't do decimal points. Still not finding my mojo -- no discipline with food journaling or my light workouts yet - tomorrow is 5 weeks post-op and something has got to give -- maybe i need to take vitamins every day or something!! Great recipes Laurie and Leslie - thank you!! I'm going to sign up for the Eastman splash, mash and dash - sprint triathlon June 20 -- maybe i need a goal to get focused and i'm planning on being able to start working out more after my 6 week f/u appt next week!! Keep plugging away!!

denise