Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.6.21 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I got a good night's sleep last night, and I'm getting ready to head out to the race and a meet-up with Henrun and Marj and ??. Meanwhile, here's some reading to get your day started.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I'm not out the door yet.  Got a good night's sleep and still recovering from the busy time in SC.  I am a morning person- to a point!

Don't miss Steve's last two posts on yesterday's daily.  "The one thing this group has in common is that we keep pushing ourselves."    Some other good insight there, too.

Jay- enjoy the race and meet up.   I'm working on getting out the door....it's cold here.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...mornin' jay...............enjoy the Race.......

==========

Struck Down by the Devil's Exercise Bike

by tomwhite

several decades ago,

we bought my Mother-In-Law an exercise bike

when

she passed away, we took it to our house

she had put 13-miles on it in about 6-years

I have

rolled the mileage over twice since then

so Thursday,

I decided to just stay in and do an easy x-bike work-out

about

15-minutes into it, I got a Back Spasm from Hell

somehow I think she had put a Time-Release Curse in the thing

it finally went away this morning

but

I'm considering having our minister come over and Exorcise the Exercise-Bike

not sure

if Presbyterians do that,

but I'm willing to find out

=============

...40-min PoolRun, no belt, w poolshoes...

...............Good Curse-Free work-outs to ya.............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks. I am at the vet with 2 of my 3 dogs to get their annual checkups and shots. DH and I are going to Columbus (1.5 hour drive) afterward because he wants to go to the Iron Pony, which is sort of like a motorcycle gear superstore, so he can pick up some cold-weather gear. Also we have an $80 gift card to a theater in Columbus called Shadow Box Live that does sketch comedy and music. So we will go to the motorcycle store, check into a Holiday Inn Express, get dinner, see the show, and come home in the morning. Last getaway before the foot surgery.

2.5 miles for me on the TM walking at an incline.  I think my running days are done, at least for this year....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi friends - chilly start here in MA, but it warmed up to the 40's with beautiful sunshine for The Run for All Ages!! So happy to see Marj, Henry and Jay there!! I did post pics on FB, but they need to accept my new friend requests as Denise Marie so I can tag them.

I don't know why I can't post the pic here myself - I did it once from FB and hasn't worked for me again!!

Cool note - I won 6th Woman Age Graded Award at my first race as a walker!!

Now time for a strength workout

denise

mrrun

all of us

photographer extraordinaire

Henry finishing with Denise and Jay cheering him on (cheered me on a few minutes earlier)

Race report: glorious sunny, fall day for race. Power walked and finished 1 minute faster then previous race.  Won $$ for 3rd woman walker

great to see Jay and Denise again - stumpy, we missed you

Tom - Sorry about the back, but hopefully the exorcism works. 

Steve - I didn't lose any files . . . I just wish I did. My boss, who was out of town all week but working, called yesterday to discuss a couple of clients then told me he had looked at my To Do list and we need to talk when he gets back.  He wasn't mean or anything, but I know what he's going to say - probates need to be turned over to our dept secretary, she should be cleaning out his inbox and distributing work, etc.  My response will be (1) she and I are working on the probates together so she can take over those, but they're on my list so I don't forget what she's supposed to be doing and (2) great!  Let her clean out your inbox (which I told him).  Not a problem.  But she didn't do it at all while I was on vacation, so maybe he needs to be the one to remind her it's her job (and I don't mean any of this in a snotty way at all).  She'll figure it out.  On the probates, he's had the recommendation to just give her the file and the CEB books and let her figure it out.  I'm sorry, but if you want to destroy someone's confidence, well, that's how you do it.

Today is a sit around in my sweats and maybe nod off now and then day. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Love the pictures.  Denise, did you try just clicking on the FB picture and copying it and then just hit paste on RA?  That works for me.

Glad y'all had a good meet up and race.  Tom- boo on your back!

My morning was, well, a little eventful.  I didn't get out early- it was cold and I was tired.  Finally went out to the truck to head over to the path and the battery on the truck was completely dead.  Ken thinks it has just run out of life and that we have never changed it in 6 years.  He's checking his records on that.  I took his electric car over to the path, which meant I had to run with the whole key fob.  Before I got started, my iPod decided to delete my music app, and one of my PowerBeats earphones decided not to work.  Not sure if it didn't get seated right in the case to charge or what.  That meant I had to run with my big phone. (First World Problems)  I overdressed, which I knew, but I was SO chilly this morning.  Started out not feeling like running at all- legs were tired.  Gradually settled in and managed 7.2 miles and a really strong run for me.  My Garmin watch was giving me all sorts of congratulations after I finished.  I was pretty sweaty.  Sunny and 47 to 56 while I ran.  It's raining in Charleston, so it's good I came home.  Now we have to deal with the truck battery.

dnaff

Wonderful pictures, congrats all around.

I cleaned off the last of the flower beds and pulled a whole bucket of weeds that had been hiding.  Frost had knocked out everything except the weeds.  Then I went for a run.  Probably 2 miles - I didn't take a watch or really pay much attention where I'd gone.  Just keeping an eye on traffic and taking the quieter street at every intersection.  I overdressed but its hard to find the right attire now that I walk so often during a run.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey, nice pictures.

Especially, I kind of remember

when the Seattle sky was blue

too this summer.

My morning was, well, a little eventful. 

I didn't get out early

cold

tired. 

battery on the truck was completely dead.

run with the whole key fob. 

delete my music app,

earphones decided not to work. 

run with my big phone.
                      SO chilly. 

not feeling like running at al

legs were tired.

. . . 

KSA - whew.  However, anytime "eventful" doesn't include falling down is good one.

Dave - I was going to say something about something the other day but, I guess, I forgot about what and what.

Leslie - sorry your up-and-down yesterday ended on a down, after all.

MLK Seattle visit anniversary - waking up to the sounds of pouring down rain a little more than four hours after Jay’s yesterday j-o’clock, I decided to defer any running until this afternoon in the unlikely event the now regular November rainy weather might improve and was able to catch the first broadcast of three over the weekend of this week’s Scandinavian Music Hour and stayed tuned in on the same Alternative-Talk station for the African-American Community News Hour afterwards for an update on the various 60th anniversary events commemorating Martin Luther King’s one-and-only visit to Seattle on November 8, 1961 that, as a freshman at the UW wondering what Seattle, or anywhere in the North, had to do with the marches and protests in the South and not only with the murders of three civil rights worker volunteers from New York by a KKK mob in Mississippi June still fresh in our minds but also with MLK’s invitation being withdrawn to speak at the First Presbyterian Church for fear of trouble, I was going to stay away from it all but I wasn’t going stay away this time.

Better yet, the city was offering covid boosters at the opening ceremonies at the same Garfield High School where King spoke in 1961. Even better yet, there was a $50 Fred Meyer Gift Card for everyone getting their shots there so DW came along too as we got the best of both worlds this morning and made $100 to boot.

In introducing a panel of community “elders” who had participated in the 1961 visit in their younger days, one of the speakers referenced an African proverb I liked that “(t)he youth can run fast, but the elders know the way.”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

It was a great treat to be able to spend a little time with Marj, Henry, and Denise at the Run For All Ages 5K this morning. It was in the mid-30s a little while before the race. But as the sun rose in the clear blue skies, so did the temps, and it was 43° and great racing weather by the time we started. I did well with an average cadence of 166, and stride length of .92m. I wish I could get my cadence up, but I don't know if I can do that any more. My gun time was 33:06 and net time was 32:57 for an average net pace of 10:30. That was good enough to win the walking div (new at this race this year), and $100, which will pay for our dinner out this evening. Congrats to Marj and Denise for their age-graded and age-group awards, and to Henry for improving his finishing time vs. when he last did this race in 2019.

I got home, grabbed a bit 'o lunch, and spent the rest of the afternoon moving leaves, cleaning up the deck, and collecting branches and twigs for more of this winter's kindling.

I hope you're having a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great pics! It's nice to see all your faces again. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Karen, batteries seem to behave that way these days -- when they drop below a given level, the whole car is dead. It's not like the pre-electronic era when a battery could just slowly run down and the car would crank slower and slower. Speaking of which, the battery in my DW's Mazda is about 6 years old...

A productive day for me as I hosed out the garage and did the final seasonal changeover right down to the winter welcome mat at the front door. Then it was some final leaf raking in the back yard and I still had time to take the e-bike out for a 11-mile ride. It was my first outdoor ride in weeks and surely one of the last of the year.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Way to go Jay- with the time and the $100.  And $100 for Tet and Mrs. Tet for getting the shots!  Very nice.

Sam's didn't have the battery, but Oh Oh Oh O'Reilly did (their counsel was at my meeting this week) and Ken is out in the driveway installing it.  It required moving some other things under the hood.  I walked the dogs so I didn't have to hear the bad words.

Yeah, Doug- it was strange.  Perfectly fine on Thursday when Ken moved the truck just a little to air up the tires- and then absolutely nothing this morning!

BTY

Wow, sounds like a fun time!   Nice weather, great people, a nice event...

A busy day doing some things that have been put off for too long, then went over to the pool for a workout preparing for tomorrow's 3,000 yard ePostal endurance race (virtual).   I did 600 yards each, pretty easy-paced, of breaststroke, back stroke, and freestyle, with the pull buoy.  Then 3*100 & 3*50 freestyle (100's between 1:25 and 1:29, and 50's between 0:38 and 0:40, then a "cool down" (not really) of 200 yards of freestyle, with the pull buoy, in 3:11 (a 1:35.5 / 100 yards pace).  It was sort of like doing an easy 5k warmup run and then some cruise intervals in preparation for a road race, back when I used to do such things.   The whole thing took an hour, almost exactly.

I am really encouraged that DS2 was inquiring about a membership at the fitness center that includes swimming.  It costs about $40/mo, and I get reimbursed almost all of it by my health insurance.  His health insurance at his new job will be kicking in and he wants to find out if he has a similar reimbursement benefit, and it sounds like he'll upgrade his membership to include swimming if it will cover it.  Of my three sons, (cue Fred McMurray), he is the most natural swimmer.  Of course he needs to get to the gym, but once he gets himself a car.....the local chain that I go to has a center with a pool only 10 minutes from his apartment.  Before COVID the barrier was that you had to get there to work out (swim, class, weights, whatever) 50 times per 6 month period, but since the pandemic started they eased the requirements - you still have to tell them how many times you exercised since your last reimbursement, but you don't have to show evidence, and I didn't see anything about a minimum visits requirement.   (50 times in 6 months averages out to just about twice a week, so it isn't a big hurdle...it's very reasonable in my opinion.  During the colder months I'll get in 50 visits in less than 50 days since a morning swim and a lunchtime weights workout are two visits in one day.  LOL).  

Tomwhite - I don't doubt that for a second!!