Masters Running

Small Business Saturday Daily, 11.24.12 (Read 404 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It's always nice to have new people join the fun here, but it is too bad it is happening because another forum is having serious problems. None-the-less, it is great to have Cindy, BerthaSlayer, Dallison, and everyone else from RW join the fray and the fun!

Happy Birthday, Tammy! Did you have a candle on your pancakes at your birthday breakfast?

MikeE, how in the world did you come up with that name? Roll eyes

I'm glad to see everyone is recovering from the Monkey madness, and is getting back regular running routines.

<Rant on> Yesterday, I strung the LED lights on the trees outside. We bought these last year and the year before, but now there are 6 strands that don't work. They have fuses, but they are so tiny it is impossible to tell which of the 2 in each set has blown, or if both are shot. Of course, they come with one replacement fuse per set. I tried replacing one then the other in one set yesterday, but it took too long, and the lights still don't work. The lights have a 3-year warranty, but if you have a problem, you have to send a letter to the factory in China. No, I'm not going to write because there is zero chance that letter would ever be answered. But I will take these now useless lights back to where I bought them, just to let them know how poor this is. I looked online to see if there is any way to buy domestically-manufactured lights and, sadly, there isn't. So is what I've got the best I can get??? Sigh. <Rant off>

On a brighter note, we're happy to support local small businesses today, and will start with breakfast at our favorite local dive.

3.6 easy racewalking miles at 4:30 this morning. It was surprisingly mild at 45F, and was overcast with a refreshing light drizzle. Since I'm supposed to be racing tomorrow, today's workout was just to stay loose, so I did that, and did a lot of stretching afterward.

Enjoy the day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. I hear 'ya about the non-functioning Christmas lights. And I thought when you spent more money to buy the LED lights they were supposed to be a sure thing. Just channel your inner Clark Griswold and you'll get through this Big grin

Happy belated birthday Tammy! Hope it was a great day.

Sorry to hear your mother isn't doing so well Holly. It's so hard to watch our parents age...

Twocat - you pick the place for that drink!

Let me add one more welcome to all of the new RW folks posting here. I too was a victim of the Cool Running disaster back in the day. I love this site and Eric takes very good care of all of us.

Thanks for supporting Small Business Saturday Jay. That's where I'm off to. My last craft show of the season so I'm hoping I sell all of my inventory and there's nothing to take home when it ends this afternoon. DH is hoping the same - he's my put up/take down helper Smile

Have a great Saturday everyone.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good morning.

Heading onto the dreadmill for 4 miles then taking my son to the college open house. Can't believe my baby is in his last year of HS.

Jay, last year I bought new lights. They worked in the house. Then when we turned them on after installing them on the roof, half the strands were not working. UGH.

Jlynee, what kind of crafts do you make? Alas, I have no talent.

Can't wait to meet everyone else.

Tell me more of this "coolrunning" disaster. Was it similar to the RW spamgate?

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

..since I AM a SmallBusiness, yeah, GoodThought...........but let's make it a YearLongEvent......

========

but I digress.....

.........24min poolrun

temps hitting 22-degrees tonite

so

BIKE RIDE//////..........What could Possibly Go Wrong??

....................good running guys.........................only support Small Things..........

,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,,

NEVER MIND

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Another welcome to all the refugees.  We’re kind of like the U.S here; we’re a forum of immigrants.  Thankfully there’s no talk of walls or self-deportation.

I don’t quite understand why small business day is sponsored by American Express.  Confused

Jay—yeah, isn’t planned obsolescence a joy to deal with?  Welcome to the disposable society.

Holly—we went through that with my mother over a number of years.  It’s tough.

Tom—you always make me laugh.

It was Hillypalooza day for me.  18.3 miles of…you guessed it…hills.  Not big—200-300 footers—but lots of them.  I’m wiped.  This would be good training for Monkey...if anyone ever trained for Monkey.

Training tip of the day: If you accidentally hit the “lap” button on your Garmin, you can immediately improve your average lap pace significantly.  You're welcome.

Be safe. Be kind.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

3 or 4 miles planned later today.

It's so peaceful in here. 122 RW'ers are here and the kids are a little hyper this morning. It's not unusual for this group to have 50 threads less than 3 hours old at the old place. I have a group set up and most of the posting is in there, believe it or not.

King of PhotoShop

4 easy today gives me my 3rd 40-mile week in a row and I'm feeling super.

There is a one dollar fine for anyone who says "dreadmill," just so you know.

Tet, remember when you posted that picture of the start of the Seattle Marathon a couple of years ago when it was teeming rain? I wanted to use it in my Dallas Morning News blog, but as the pic came from the Seattle Times or whatever your local paper is there, and they wouldn't let me use it. But it was some great shot.

TW, the Lisinopril is a new med for me.  The dr. suggested that to get adjusted to it I should cut the pills in half for a while.  I didn't, so I'm guessing that was causing my problems. Occasionally when I get up from a chair I'll get a couple of seconds of light-headedness, but I know that's the pills.

Here is a Mike E story for you.  Locally, my RP here in TX used to be my best friend Mike Evans, and he and I are also friends on FB. So now I meet Mike E here on RA and we friend each other on FB last year and as many of you know, same name as my local buddy. Now things get confusing, as from time to time he will comment on a post, and some of my local friends think it's my local buddy. One guy I run with at the Lake actually friended our Mike E on FB, thinking it was the other guy. I have no idea what to do about this, as I have to look carefully at the profile pic every time I see a post from Mike Evans.

SpareTire and family coming for dinner. Smoked a brisket yesterday and now will finish it in the oven, a slow braise with bbq sauce.  Also, making bbq baked beans, cole slaw, corn etc. for a genuine TX bbq dinner.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

MikeE, how in the world did you come up with that name? Roll eyes 

Well, thanks for asking, Jay.  It’s nice to know that somebody cares about me. 

The story of my handle really goes back to the mid 50’s when, as a member of the notorious motorcycle gang, Hecks Angels, (my dad wasn't all that tough) my father was being chased by police after robbing a liguor store.  (It was, actually a candy store, but they sold 3.2 beer in the back room)  Flying through the city streets on his Honda (Dad couldn’t afford a Harley) he suddenly found himself heading straight toward a bus full of nuns which had broken down by the side of the road.  Rather than risking injury to the nuns, Dad swerved his bike into a ditch where he crashed and lied unconscious for some time.  When he came to, he looked into the sweetest pair of eyes he had ever seen—the police officer, although rough—had very nice eyes.  He was arrested and served 2 years in prison.  Well, it seems that one of those nuns on the bus had seen my dad and his bike screaming toward her and her fellow nuns and she prayed that God would intervene and protect them.  Suddenly, the motorcycle swerved into the ditch.  Feeling an overwhelming sense of responsibility for the capture of my dad, the nun visited him in prison.  Over the next two years, a transformation occurred.  It was truly remarkable.  Through many hours of talking and praying together, my dad was able to transform the nun into a biker chick.  When he was released from prison, the nun, turned biker chick, drove up on a brand spankin’ new Harley and picked up my dad at the front gate.  They drove directly to the courthouse and were married. Sometime later, I was born and, while my dad wanted to name me Harley, my nun-turned biker chick-mom looked at me and exclaimed, “Mike E!”  And so…in honor of Mom…I am Mike E.

Hey—thanks, again for asking, Jay.

Anyway--good morning everybody!  Yeah--welcome to all the immigrants.  I'm not sure what I am...this is the first forum I've been a part of...but I'm not a native because I wasn't here from the biginning...dang, I just never seem to fit in.

Wow--Tramps!  Nice workout!

Thanks for the extra friends, Ribs!  I'll take 'em anyway I can get 'em.  That's so sad...I have to rely on a mistaken identity to get a friend...

Okay--enough of this.  I have to get out of here before DW catches me!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that's funny, I always thought MikeE was like TomWhite except real.

Ribs - thanks again for keeping mum on all the posting someone was doing of that copyrighted Seattle Times rainy marathon photo around here back when you and others were claiming that it might rain during the Dallas White Rock Marathon or whatever.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed but a sudden, unseasonable turn of the weather today for the better this year may necessitate protective sun glasses instead of the new raincoat I've been wanting to wear.

Happy Birthtub Day Tammy.

When are you going to come up here

and re-do one of your first running races?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

that's funny, I always thought MikeE was like TomWhite except real.

...Easy There OysterBoy///.........

.you're gonna be needing

some Stiffle Pills again

one of these days.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Well, thanks for asking, Jay.  It’s nice to know that somebody cares about me. 

The story of my handle really goes back to the mid 50’s when, as a member of the notorious motorcycle gang, Hecks Angels, (my dad wasn't all that tough) my father was being chased by police after robbing a liguor store.  (It was, actually a candy store, but they sold 3.2 beer in the back room)  Flying through the city streets on his Honda (Dad couldn’t afford a Harley) he suddenly found himself heading straight toward a bus full of nuns which had broken down by the side of the road.  Rather than risking injury to the nuns, Dad swerved his bike into a ditch where he crashed and lied unconscious for some time.  When he came to, he looked into the sweetest pair of eyes he had ever seen—the police officer, although rough—had very nice eyes.  He was arrested and served 2 years in prison.  Well, it seems that one of those nuns on the bus had seen my dad and his bike screaming toward her and her fellow nuns and she prayed that God would intervene and protect them.  Suddenly, the motorcycle swerved into the ditch.  Feeling an overwhelming sense of responsibility for the capture of my dad, the nun visited him in prison.  Over the next two years, a transformation occurred.  It was truly remarkable.  Through many hours of talking and praying together, my dad was able to transform the nun into a biker chick.  When he was released from prison, the nun, turned biker chick, drove up on a brand spankin’ new Harley and picked up my dad at the front gate.  They drove directly to the courthouse and were married. Sometime later, I was born and, while my dad wanted to name me Harley, my nun-turned biker chick-mom looked at me and exclaimed, “Mike E!”  And so…in honor of Mom…I am Mike E.

Hey—thanks, again for asking, Jay.

Anyway--good morning everybody!  Yeah--welcome to all the immigrants.  I'm not sure what I am...this is the first forum I've been a part of...but I'm not a native because I wasn't here from the biginning...dang, I just never seem to fit in.

Wow--Tramps!  Nice workout!

Thanks for the extra friends, Ribs!  I'll take 'em anyway I can get 'em.  That's so sad...I have to rely on a mistaken identity to get a friend...

Okay--enough of this.  I have to get out of here before DW catches me!

Are we related?

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Mike E gee and to think I was always puzzled about your handle's origins.

No running for me today or elliptical either.  I am giving the ankle a couple of days off.  But there will be some sugar pumpkin roasting.  I have six.  Once roasted they go into the freezer so that I can make pumpkin various things during the rest of the year.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Welcome newcomers.  There were a number of turkey trots since my last post - Tramps, jlynne (1AG), dallison, OM, and Twocat.  Mike, I loved your story.  Happy birthday, Tammy.

Nice long runs for mari, Tramps,, and Mississippi

Yesterday, I got in 4 miles at just under 11 min/mi.  This morning, my brother, Dave, and I got in 4 miles at just under a 10 min pace.

Our family thanksgiving is continuing and we are all enjoying it.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Welcome newcomers-I'm the senior member here (by age).

Mike E.- lol

We returned last evening from Brooklyn after spending several hours of walking down 5th Ave. in Manhattan.

Ran a slow but delightful 5.5 miles along the Charles this morning (still in shorts) followed by shopping our local small businesses-fortunately we can find just about anything we want or need in our town.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--not too familiar with the LED strings, a little tool like this will test for blown fuses.

WESTINGHOUSE 28540: Westinghouse 4-Function Christmas Light Tester & Bulb Remover

If you have the old fashioned mini lights, this will solve a lot of problems without even having to find the actual bad bulb.  you just take one of the bulbs out and plug the socket into this and pull the trigger.  actually works.  find it at Home Depot.

on the running front--Let me add my welocme to any and all of the RW refugees.  It's a great place to hang out.

For me--4 miles around the lake.  It included a stop to try and find the ownerr of a nice husky that was hanging at locked gate of one of the cemetaries along the lake.  he ended up running around to one that was open and disappeared where I couldn't keep up.  So when I got home, I got in the car and made a circle through the cemetary and around the lake.  I saw hime with his owner, so felt better.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.