Masters Running

Quickie Boston RR - (PR, yahoo!) (Read 498 times)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Hi folks,

It was great to see some of my online running friends at Robin's get together.  I haven't been here or KR and definitely miss hearing what everyone is up to.  Btw, apologies for posting the same RR here and KR, but not sure if many people read both.

Anyway, I thought I'd give a quickie RR of my Boston this year.

One liner RR:

Marathon PR, Sub-3, beat Boston '09 by 6 mins, woohoo!

Slightly longer:

My goal was to try and dip under 3hrs in Boston, which seemed like a stretch, but training has been going well this year.  I did a Half a month ago (1:25) which indicated it is possible if the conditions were good.  While the sun was a bit hot at times, today's conditions were indeed good.  

My 'plan' was to start close to 7:00 for a few miles and then speed up.  Like so many previous marathons that plan is rewritten in the first 1K :-)  I thought I was holding back but with the downhills I ticked the first few off at 6:30.  (Glad I didn't have to apologize to KSrunr for going out too fast with him again)  I figured I would just run a comfortable pace, which seemed to be about 6:30. I didn't have a pace-band (first time!) or obsess about things.  I eased back on the uphills and didn't go crazy fast down.

I started to lose energy at about 23, and felt the first signs of cramping at 24 and slowed to 7:30s.  I was on vapors up to the final turn onto Boylston.  When the finish banner is in sight, I can easily calculate how much energy I have left and squeeze it all out.  I wasn't sure I was under 3hr so I pumped away.  The clock wasn't visible until I got to the final block and it still started with a '2'.

Overall it wasn't the smartest way to run a marathon, but I'm _extremely_ happy with my time.  Things to improve/avoid:  I only ate 2 of the planned 5 GU, drank less than called for, and had to visit a mid-race portolet for 45 seconds (of course I watched the time).  Things that went well: I ran by feel and ignored my splits, HR, and any other data.  It was very freeing to not fret about a specific pace.

2:58:46, 6:49pace, OA 1168, Div 82

I'm looking forward to hearing how the other RA masters did as I didn't get to catch up with people there.

Craig

Full pic

-2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
    also on Twitter
    PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

You did it, Craig.  Congratulations.  Sub 3 in Boston will be remembered forever!
      coastwalker

Hi Craig,

It doesn't get much better than running a marathon PR at Boston - congratulations! You had a beautiful day for the race, and lots of speedy company and cheering crowds to keep you going. It must be very satisfying to have run by feel and done so well. Greta job!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Awesome........Way to gut it out. Nice race !

WOW!!  sub 3hours even with a port-a-potty break -- you are AMAZING!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!

denise

Great job yesterday, Greg. All that training paid off - congratulations on an awesome race.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Congratulations Craig! That looked like the perfect Boston!!! It was great seeing you again!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Sweet!  Congrats on the PR and sub-3, and you get the prize for the first Boston RR, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow, just wow.  I liked the run by feel part, but it must take an experienced runner to do that and not crash and burn.  Congratulations!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

Nice time Craig!!!!

SteveP

WOW!!  sub 3hours even with a port-a-potty break . . .

I thought the exact same thing!  Congratulations!!!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Craig, wow.    I can see why you would be extremely happy with this!!!    Very cool how it worked out I think.   Why do you think you didn't have the other GU?  Just curious.  Maybe part of that overall relaxation (if it can be called that!)    How many times have you run Boston?   Can't imagine how it will go with the slight improvements you mentioned.   Congratulations!!!
                            Awesome Craig! Congratulations!
                            Tramps

Wow!  That is a great day. 

Congratulations on the all the work this must have taken to get you there and on successful--if a little unconventional!--execution. 

And drop by more often.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Overall it wasn't the smartest way to run a marathon, but I'm _extremely_ happy with my time.  Things to improve/avoid:  I only ate 2 of the planned 5 GU, drank less than called for, and had to visit a mid-race portolet for 45 seconds (of course I watched the time).  Things that went well: I ran by feel and ignored my splits, HR, and any other data.  It was very freeing to not fret about a specific pace.

2:58:46, 6:49pace, OA 1168, Div 82

I'm looking forward to hearing how the other RA masters did as I didn't get to catch up with people there.

Craig

Full pic

I am so glad you did not listened to traditional wisdom. You ran with the heart and you got your PR.

Great race. Kul picture too Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard