Masters Running

37th Annual Commemorative Long Beach Island 18 Mile Run Race Report (Read 954 times)

Renee the dog

Warning: this is going to be very long, and I still probably will forget everything I wanted to write about this.

Monday morning quarterbacking and quick summary:  I haven’t had a good race all year, and it was sure nice to finally turn in a satisfactory performance at such a fine race!  Everything set up in my favor, so if I hadn’t turn in a good result, it would have been my own darn fault. Results: 18 miles in 2:44:31 official chip.  324th place out of 746 finishers.  20th out of 55 in F40-44.  I’m thrilled! And, I’m very much still walking.  Now to focus on my marathon 11/21…

Too Much Detail:

This race was started the year of the Munich Olympics, to commemorate the slain Israeli athletes.  So, this is its 37th edition.  I received early bird registration of $25, I believe, as this was my original “BIG RACE” for the year.  Since we weren’t sure what would happen to us financially over the year, I registered Bayside (my husband) and I for all our key target races in early February, while we had the cash. Registering so early garnered me Bib #1. What a laugh when I received it in the mail (Bibs and instructions for packet pick up and race info are sent a few weeks before the event).

I live about 1:15 travel distance south of this race, so in the end, we decided to go to packet pick up late Saturday afternoon.  We had from 2-8 p.m. Saturday, and 7-9:30 a.m. Sunday to pick up packet and chip. They also offer a spaghetti dinner in the gym for $10 for adults and $5 for kids.  We decided to stay and have dinner.  It was good (wine was included) and the locals came out and socialized with the runners as though we were celebrities. Very “homey” and fun!  Desserts were mostly home-made and the generous quantity was mind-boggling.  After dinner, we drove about ½ the course.  It’s a beeline from one end of the island to the other.  I wasn’t looking for anything other than road crowning, as my right ITB was annoying lately, and I wanted to be mentally prepared. There was nothing significant. 

After a really good night’s sleep, I was up before my alarm.  Breakfast was cream cheese spread on a soft pretzel and coffee. Emailed some with dg. She got me thinking about my day and how it was just a training run. Soon enough I was off.  I was going to be way early for a 10:30 gun time, but was hoping to get parking at or near the St. Francis Center. Got there just past snagging a parking spot, so was on the curb on a side street across the way.  No big deal.

Busses, vans and motor coaches shuttle runners to the south end of the island. While waiting for the bus, I ate my second soft pretzel.  It was 1:15 before the start.  At the start was a massage therapist, water table and about 25 port-a-potties.  Plenty of room to hang out, and the little corner store was open.  Lady let me take a 10 cent fireball jaw-breaker without paying for it. (I will go back and buy her out of them, because it is now my pre-race favorite ritual). 

I had 20 oz. of coconut water for the race, and 1 clif shot cut in half.  I also had some Greens+ Energy bar bits wrapped up…wasn’t sure if I was going to need/want them, but was packing them anyway.  I also had $7 because there’s plenty of stocked vending machines along the route.  Better to have the ability to have options, I felt.   

It was warm, much warmer than predicted. At the start, it was roughly 55º F, but there wasn’t a wisp of air moving.  So, my choice of an orange singlet and running skirt was right on, as the non-white absorbed some of the sun’s heat, and that was enough to stay warm. I had chosen my Nike Air Track Star low-end running shoes available at Dick’s as my shoe of the day. 

Eventually checked my bag, and soon enough, we were underway.  I started almost completely in the back, and we had the full right lane of the boulevard.  I wanted to go out pretty easy – target was a 9:30 pace.  Ended up with a 9:39 split for mile 1.  By the end of mile 1, there was plenty of running room, plus a shoulder too.  We ran with the traffic, which took the left lane.  It is not coned off, but police ride motorcycles on the painted dashed line to keep folks separate.  It works! 

By mile 5, I knew I was going to make it, even though I’d never even run 18 miles before, I’d been sick, I’d had the right leg ITB scare.  It didn't matter. I just knew it.   The miles clicked along, and it was a blast.  I felt like I was running through a dog show and baby parade.  Little ones (1-4 yr olds) lining the route getting high and low 5s from the runners.  Dogs all along the route.  People clapping, and yelling for #1.  This continued for all the miles, though it changed in flavor as we went along.  It may be one island, but there’s distinct feels to the different towns along the way.  People were driving by filming their runners, screaming and honking for all of us, kids hanging out sunroofs with “GO DAD GO” signs…gosh it was just fun!   I've never smiled so much along a course.

As we passed the St. Francis Center, which is a little before the halfway point, the priest is out in a St. Francis of Assisi style robe, and saying as we pass, “We’re praying for you.”  Someone yelled back, “Pray harder, Father, so we can go faster.”  He laughed.  Each mile is dedicated to either an Israeli athlete or one of the residents from LBI who died in the Sept. 11 attacks.  So amid the fun, there was a purposeful feeling that I felt as we went through the miles.  We even had a fly-over in formation of some jets, I have no idea what kind, but it lent a cool feeling for a few minutes as the miles clicked by.

I knew the water stops were only water in the first half of the race, and that they were unevenly placed.  So I carried a 20 oz bottle of coconut water, and then and 8 oz “grenade” of coconut water too.  That lasted me to Mile 14.  It was warm out, but I was feeling OK.  Some folks were really profusely sweating.  I decided around Mi 10 to start using some water down my back to keep me fresh. 

Eventually that moved to dousing my head, too, in the later miles as the wind never picked up and the sun was beating on us as the temp rose to close to 70ºF.  There was one woman out in front of her shop with a hose and she gently sprayed anyone who wanted some…I took that for sure!   I ate my clif shot somewhere around Mi 9 or so.  Decided not to use my Greens+ bits, but instead to take advantage of the orange slices along the second half of the course (there was also a stop with peach slices). 

The aid stations the second half of the race were much more evenly spaced (including 1 with a portable shower to mist the runners), so three orange slices and a dixie cup of water over top of me got me to Mile 16, and on the verge of new mileage territory. I purposely slowed down a little and stayed very contained.  It was quiet, and a couple folks were starting to have problems.  One guy I thought would never stop hugging a telephone pole!  I felt good, and thanked my lucky stars for all my hot weather training. 

Finally I was at the last mile.  I was just going to cruise in, because it was only a training run, but then something happened.   At about ½ mile out, the crowd started building.  Lots of polite applause.  There were a few of us coming in…and suddenly, I just started running like my hair was on fire.  Just kicked it into overdrive and ran like a bat out of hell!  Folks started going nuts and cheering, which gave me enough energy to hold it all the way to the finish line.  It was cool to fire up the crowd like that! 

The finish line was well-managed.  As I came in, the man yells “GRAB HER” and two finish line walkers (teens) grab me, talk to me, give me an uncapped water and take me down to the chip clip area. I’m handed off to one person there, who holds me up while I have my foot on the bucket and another clips my chip off.  They make sure I’m steady before sending me off to the drinks and snacks.  Everyone was treated similarly through the finish area.  Oh, my final mile split was an 8:22 – so possibly I hauled in towards the finish slightly under an 8 min mile, which looks really fast when everyone else is dying off at about a 9:15 or higher pace.

The drink area is labeled “Gatorade”….”Water”…. “Birch Beer.”  BIRCH BEER??!!!!  I head that way.   It was from kegs! Man, was that a great taste on a warm day!  I went to bag pick up, was handed my bag, and stalked the birch beer pourers until they knew me by name, then finally walked out to the street to wait for a bus or whatever to pick us up.  Now in the instructions it said that there would be periodic shuttle service back, but “personal transportation from the finish” was recommended. 

So we’re standing along the road where there’s no sign, and a guy pulls up in a van. “Are you waiting for a ride back to the Center?”  The group of us responds yes, and he says, “I can take 13, I think.”  So we piled in and got a ride back to the Center.  I have no idea if this guy was official transportation or not, but he was a good driver, and it summarized the whole feel of the race.  Everything was just taken care of, in a low-key manner.  The whole island seemed to be involved and this sure gave a complete feel to the race.  It also felt like a runner’s race and not an event.  There wasn’t a whole lot of hand-holding along the way, and you were basically expected to finish.

When we pulled up to the Center, a Greeter welcomed us back from the race.  Since I was parked a couple blocks away, and there was food right inside the door, I decided to skip the complimentary shower (my shower bag was in the car) and head inside.  The person inside the door had those snap packs (that activate the icing feature) available, for those who wanted one. Each person working there congratulated us or clapped for us as we made our way to the complimentary LUNCH BUFFET.  

Pre-made sandwiches, wraps, make your own sandwiches, pasta, huge trays of olives, broccoli, etc. were available.  Chips...doughnuts, cakes, cupcakes...professionally and home made. Balloon centerpieces all over the place gave a festive feel to the gym. Rovers reminded us to go back for seconds.  It was great, but I was lonely.  My family was home, so I ate and got on my way. 

I can’t wait to do this race again!  I would definitely make a weekend of it, as many of the local motels and businesses were open.  And with post-season rates, it wouldn’t break the budget.  Neither will the entry fee of $30.  Pretty decent tee shirt too.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

That is a fantastic race report, Nono!  You had me grinning almost the whole way through (especially about the guy hugging the telephone pole and you running like your hair was on fire. )  The support sounds absolutely wonderful, too.  Congratulations on a great "race" (though it was just a training run).  You're gonna patooty at your marathon.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Fabulous report Nono (and in no way too long)! Well done on 18 miles and bringing it in down to the finish line with wings on your feet.

I loved each section of this report and liked the low key yet organized and supportive way the race is designed. I remember so clearly watching the '72 Olympics with my father (on TV) and then Jim McKay's voice taking us through that horrible tragedy. I am glad there is a race like this to commemorate and remember.

Seems like you are coming into just where you need to be for the 11/21 marathon. Not sure what it means to patooty at the marathon, but if it means rock it....amen to that! 

Way to go Nono!

Such a positive report!   Fun to read.   Thank you, and congratulations.

Prince of Fatness

Nice run.  I should really think about doing this race as I have vacationed down at LBI many times.  I'm sure that my wife wouldn't mind a weekend down at the shore in early October.

Good luck with your marathon.

Not at it at all. 

dg.

well.... what do I know??   Way to rock your training run!!     I'd forgotten about your bib#.  You lived up to it.  Smile.    

Thanks, I loved reading your report.   What a well run race, & great volunteers.     

Ok.  no more ITB scares, no more sickness.   11/21, oh boy.  almost there.  :-)

King of PhotoShop

(Okay, sekrit, no one tell. I am ape about Nono.)

This was so much fun to read.  Great run and great style.  Spareribs

Not sure what it means to patooty at the marathon, but if it means rock it....amen to that! 

Well doggone it.  I meant "kick" patooty.   And yes, it means rock it!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Fantastic RR of a terrific race!  You're awesome, Nono - as a runner and a writer.  Um, hello, 8:22 doesn't just look like a really fast pace, it IS a really fast pace.  Thanks for a terrific report and congrats on such a fabulous "training run."  You're gonna rock Rehoboth!

I'm putting this race on the calendar for next year.  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Loved this RR!  Not only did you have a blast, your time was great too!  Thanks for sharing and you'll smoke your

marathon in Nov. 

wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome race report, Nono!  I can't believe you took money for the VENDING MACHINES along the course --- That would be a new one! Sounds like you ran a good strong race and finished with your hair on fire - way to go!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wooohooo -- great race report Nono - esp. for a "training run"  you rocked it!!  had me smiling the whole time too!!

denise

Way to go #1.  You had a fantastic race, nono, and wrote a wonderful report.  It sounds like a well run and supported race.  You clearly enjoyed yourself and have every right to be proud of what you accomplished.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

What an awesome report!  And I love this race - I wish it were closer, because it sounds like so much fun!  And you did a great job - super pacing.  Excellent race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh, nono - this is a great report on what appears to be a real gem of a race.  Of course, the small-town feel will be gone now that we all know how cool it is.

Nice finish!  Isn't that just so fun to finish up feeling stong and fast? 

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason