Masters Running

1st of July - Daily (Read 612 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy July 1st!

Out of a very easy 4 this morning.   Still quite cool out there, but that is suppose to change this weekend, so I'm enjoying it while we've got it.  10:09 / 10:05 / 9:45 / 9:57 - 10:00 avg. pace - 151 avg. HR    I'm happy to see my HR dropping along with my pace.  Big grin

I hope you had a grand birthday Slo-Hand!

Aamos - my DH pronounces the word Battery "Batt-Tree" - like it is a tree for bats!   It drives me NUTS!    I say it "Bat-ter-ee"   

Nono - your daughter is adorable and she looked so happy to go surfing.   Her coach didn't look too bad either!  Wink

It was nice to read everyone's June highlights yesterday.  Thanks for playing!

Happy Thursday.....one to go!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning Mary.

Yes, it was very springlike this morning.  Sweat volume was kept to a minimum.  Went about 10 miles in the Windsor/Bloomfield CT area.  Lifted first (tried to increase the weights by 10%, and was able to do so except for the lifts that used the shoulder.  That's still hurting).

Time to reassess those New Year's goals now that the year is half over...

Find the good.

Renee the dog

Nono - your daughter is adorable and she looked so happy to go surfing.   Her coach didn't look too bad either!  Wink

Yes, and that coach just had a baby 9 months ago! 

Hope everyone has a rockin' day out there on the roads and trails.  I went out last night with Renee and only could go 1/2 mi before my leg was aching.  Was on the hook to put dinner on the table when I returned, so I just rolled some BioFreeze over it, and had a martini with dinner. (Gotta love Bayside!)

This morning, I went out without Renee for 4 miles on the boardwalk.  Leg got twingy at about 1 1/3 miles, and did my best to relax myself.  Gave it 2/10s to calm down, and it did.  Right now, it is the slighest of aches, which is fine -- ds's first swim lesson of the summer is today.  He's only 3 1/2 (and this is his 3rd year doing it!), so it means I'm in the pool too. Our town pool is the anti-hot tub. So, my leg will get some cool water therapy in a bit!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

...you guys are off to a good start this morning........

hips were a little stiff this monring

(characteristic of arthrits)

but

found a GREAT 39-page booklet

''The Arthritic Athlete''

only addresses hips and knees, but VERY useful ''loosening up'' exercises.

gonna

poolrun tonite,

and here's a link to Galloway

on how to do it.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/newsletter.html#cross610

I have been using a normal leg lift,

but

since he was right on the 4/1

will try the scissors move tonite with my legs.

we'll see.

.....................good running guys............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Morning, gang!

Mary -  we're supposed to have rocketing temps and humidity by Sunday here as well.  Nice 4 miler - with Brinkley??

{{{{{PBJ's shoulder, nono's leg and Tom's arhritic hips}}}}}

Tom - thanks for the Arthritis Athlete reference.  I didn't know Galloway was into pool running.  I've always used Pfitz's method. 

Since I skipped the rest day yesterday, it was supposed to happen today.........but it was so nice and cool that I just had to do a few miles on the road - 3.25 @ 10:15 and 153 AHR (DH lended me his spare chest monitor).  Then I hopped on the elliptical for another half hour.  Will probably go for a walk for lunch today.  Next week temps are predicted to be in the mid to high 90's with matching humidity - yuck. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

lamerunner

Good morning! "Batt tree" sounds very north country. My DH says it that way on occasion but mostly just to be annoying.

I ran an easyish 8 this morning, very nice temps and low humidity.  Hope it lasts. Maybe a little tennis clinic this evening.

I cannot believe it is July already!

Dave59

Happy Canada Day.  What's wrong with "bat-tree", eh?

Took me 3 hours and 35 minutes from alarm to run this morning.  Practicing my procrastination skills before they go dull.  Just another 3 mile jog.  I need another goal.

Here is something for the weekend cookouts.  The BBQ song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY&feature=player_embedded

Mariposai

Hi procastinator dave.

Lamerunner, I did not know you are a tennis player. My DH has been trying to talk me into learning to play tennis, I just don't have any desire to do so, but maybe I should give it a try one of these days.

July 1st is here and today I start reading the Tempest. Every summer for the last 24 years I pick a Shakespeare book to read. After much pondering and searching for the one I wanted to read this year I decided on the Tempest, written in 1610. I guess Prospero, Miranda, Ariel and Caliban will keep me company for the next three months (yes! it will take me that long to read it since I have so many other books I am reading too )

Yesterday: 3 miles of walking. My walk to and from work are getting faster.

Today: 5am. 49F. I ran to the track as a warm up. Then ran 5x1000m in around 5:20ish, then ran back home for a total of 7 miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Dave - that BBQ song is a hoot!    Holly can sing it while cooking from The Pioneer woman cook book!  

This is my most favorite ditty of late and I can't stop singing it!!    Probably due to the people I have to work with every day.  Big grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7X5_K7LhE

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mari - nice intervals

Hopeful - so funny, my Father also says Bat-tree, and most annoying, Reg-lar instead of Regular.  His Scottish ancestry got passed down and I inherited some of his weird pronunciations, like Chewsday (Tuesday), Jewel (Dual), Juring (During) and in the same vein, enjurance.

So all my body parts decided to go on strike at the same time.  Another challenging 6am run - 4 miles - with a sore lower back - stopped to stretch it out several times, a wonky knee that feels like a loose joint unable to make up it's mind where to settle and a hip that gets sore after a few miles.  Other than that, it was incredibly quiet so early in the morning, cool (52F) and still.  I soaked that in.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

CNYrunner – great profile pic - you look like you’re 5 inches off the ground!  And that son of yours – quite a handsome young man!

Aamos – that would drive me crazy, too.  After all, those radio people are paid to enunciate, right?  Another one that is a pet peeve of mine is hearing people pronounce “nuclear” as “nuc-u-lar.”  It's "nuc-lee-er," people.

Nono – that was the thing I hated about my kids’ swim lessons – my having to get into the freezing water.  At least the kids were splashing around, but the adults just sort of sit there in the water helping out (and in my case, freezing).

TomWhite – that link you gave yesterday – I have to admit that is one song that has never popped into my mind while running....

Mariposai and Deez4boyz - nice intervals!

9 miles for me today, including some assorted fartleks and one mile @ 7:54, with 3 x 3 minute hill repeats at the end.  Lunges, squats, and bench step-ups afterward.

This workout felt very tough today, and that 7:54 mile felt like as fast as I could possibly go.  I have no idea how I got 6:42 last week.  Maybe that mile was short.  Maybe I can only go that fast in a race.  Maybe my legs were tired today from Tuesday’s hard workout.  Who knows?  But it’s done now.

Today is DD’s 8th birthday.  I got up a half hour early at 4:30am so I could hang crepe paper, balloons and ribbons from her bedroom door frame.  As I crept down the hall in the dark, I heard her voice, “hi Mom.”  What was she doing awake that early?  But after I had had my coffee, I checked and she was asleep again.  Whew! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Today is DD’s 8th birthday.  I got up a half hour early at 4:30am so I could hang crepe paper, balloons and ribbons from her bedroom door frame.  

One of the great things about having young kids around (and especially girls in my opinion) is to do stuff like that.  They really seem to get excited over it.  (I never had boys but they don't seem like they would be the same.  Correct me if I'm wrong all you people with sons.  I guess if you themed it more towards a boy?  Maybe we should try for a son and then I could try it out.  No, that's not a good idea.  I should stop thinking and get back to work.)

No run today. Or workout. Two days in a row of nothing. Just woke up the last two days exhausted and feeling beat up. lower back aches, shoulder hurts, a touch of carpal tunnel in my right wrist. And just tired. Even late for work both days. The landscaping on my property and pool repairs have sucked up all my time and have exhausted me. More to do after work tonight. Have a swimming pool pipe leak and a severed underground sprinkler pipe in addition to the landscaping. Pool water is cloudy so I need to get it fixed before the July 4th BBQ and b-day party. What a mess. Running is shelved until I get some time back and get ahead of this stuff. Hoping to get a jog in tomorrow morning and a good run Saturday morning. We'll see.

MTA: At least my legs still feel pretty good so I'm thankful for that. And a week on Martha's Vineyard is coming 7/24 so I'll just keep looking forward to that.

Trying to catch up on the dailies.....some folks here don't like oysters? Hmmmm.

Ran 3 easy miles with a spry Australian Shepherd mix I've been fostering, with an eye to adopting....he's resting now.

Don't fret, Tet. There's hope for the uninitiated, oyster-wise.  Walt

Hey All - I am waaaaay behind on the dailies and most likely won't go back and read them.  So I hope everyone's percolating right along and enjoying their summer thus far.

I left last Wednesday with my friend, Karen, to head to Squaw Valley for the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run.  Her sister, Kate, ran it for the first time and finished in 28:59:56!!  What a freaking unbelievably fantastic 5 days we had!  So so much to tell.  Karen and I crewed for Kate, and after being up for about 42 hrs straight from Saturday to Sunday then the drive home Monday, I've been a bit whipped.  Managed 10 miles w/hill repeats yesterday morning, but today I slept in and got about 10 (not uninterrupted unfortunately) hrs of sleep.  It felt sooo good!  I'll get in 4 miles tonight after work.

Anyway -I'm on my last two days of my Thurs/Fri job.  Will start full-time at the other job on Tuesday.  I'm very excited about the transition, but will miss working for this boss.  We've been together for over 12 years, and he treated me like royalty.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance