Masters Running

4 for H.A.N.K Race Report (Read 191 times)

I don’t normally write “official” race reports, but figured this one was too good not to share. No, not because of my finish, but just the event itself and all that came with it. This was a race that came about because of a Ft. Worth police officer killed in the line of duty named Hank Nava. He was shot (and later died) while serving a parole violation warrant. My friend Becky is married to a Ft. Worth detective who was friends with Hank, and helped to build the case to convict his killer. He told me today that he had to witness Hank’s autopsy as part of the investigation. Let’s just say that this made me appreciate all the more the men and women who serve in our community to protect us. The race benefited families of officers killed in the line of duty and helps new officers to have wills in place. I know most of the races we run in benefit great causes, but this one was just felt a little closer to home today. It was great weather for a race…mid 50’s and overcast. Prior to that, Becky introduced us to the acting chief, such a nice humble lady. Then she (acting chief) and my husband Kerry headed of for the 1mile race. He had planned on the 4 miles, but had back problems earlier in the week. He had his fastest time for a mile and had a great time with no recurrence of the back pain. After that Becky and I headed off to run the 4 miler. Prior to the race, Hank’s widow spoke, and then we had a moment of silence. During that time, the new class from the police academy marched in chanting a cadence. It was a very moving moment realizing what risks they take, and how very real they are. So off we headed. This is the first time I have truly run a race with anyone else, and Becky and I pulled and pushed each other along the whole way. The course took us through the Ft. Worth Stockyards and then on trails and paths along the Trinity River. It was a bit sloppy and muddy in spots, but we all stayed upright. I volunteered to sing along with my ipod for my friend who was podless, but for some reason she didn’t take me up on it Wink. We hadn’t necessarily planned to run together, but were really evenly matched. I’ve been running a bit more, but she is a better overall athlete (Black Belt in Karate). So we got towards the end and agreed to cross the finish line together. As it turns out, my foot (chip) must have crossed just a bit before her, and I got 3rd in our age group. It should have been both of us as our times were only 2/10ths of a second apart. I tried to get her to come with me to claim OUR medal, but she said I should go. Our time was 35:21, and while I know that’s no land speed record, it was much better than I expected and my first 4 mile race. Oh, and fashion report: Hot pink shorts and a pink flowered “fresh produce” tank with Brooks Adrenaline shoes.
    Progress Trumps Pefection
      Hey Carol - Congrats on a great race. And, yes, definitely for a worthy cause. I have such respect for our men and women who are willing to put themselves in danger to save others, a very special courage Hope things are going well and all your jobs aren't driving you nutty. We miss hearing from you over at the 40's gang.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Nice race and RR. A worthy cause and a race with friends...can't get much better. Thanks!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        huskydon

You ran well, and for a wonderful cause. Yes, we really need to appreciate more those who put their lives on the line every day. Next time, you can let Becky win by a foot or a hair or whatever. Thanks for the report! huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on your 3rd AG placement! Great cause, great race!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

great race report and a great reminder to us all about those who put their lives at risk every day!!

denise

I am so glad you did write a report for this special race. This is important and inspiring. Thank you! Good running too with a better than expected finish. Congrats! CNYrunner
                  Carol, you ran a nice race for a great cause. Congrats on your AG award. TomS
                    Thanks for the thoughtful RR. You can let your friend win next time. You're right about appreciating the men and women police officers. Here in Los Angeles we are still mourning Officer Randy (the first LA SWAT officer killed in action).
                      Way to go Carol.... The race report was a great read and congrats on the AG award as well. You've become quite the speedster my dear. Hope you have many more great runs/reports ahead of you! Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      SteveP

Well done on a fine event!!!! Mom was a cop in Collier County Fl.. Though she was at a desk, she often had stories. It is a very good cause you raced for. Thanks for posting.

SteveP

btb1490

Carol, I'm really glad you decided to write this report for all of us, not only for your great performance, but also for the great cause and reminder that this race was intended for. Congratulations to you, and my best to all who were affected by Hank's death, and to all our enforcement officers that put their lives on the line daily for our safety. Thank you.

King of PhotoShop

Thank you so much for writing this report. As a Coppell, TX resident, I remember this incident quite well and how saddened and shocked everyone was. I am glad you participated, ran well, and wrote to tell us about it. Spareribs