Masters Running

Winter Waddle 5k -- RR (Read 233 times)

HermosaBoy

OK, not really a race report, but I will give you some details. Bottom line: 4/203 Overall 4/97 Male 1/33 AG -- Won a nice camping chair... A bit more narrative: Started easy and then picked it up. Ran in a Hawaiian shirt and swim trunks while carrying a martini glass and shaker (yes it was loaded -- nice treat at the finish -- well shaken!). Happy with the result even though I did not really race. More of a workout than anything. I think the course might have been a bit long... Didn't plan to run this fast. Positioned myself about 20 meters back from the starting line. Looked around thought I was in the right spot -- wrong. As we made the turn onto Lake, I knew that there were a lot of yahoos ahead of me. So, moved left of the cones and just started cruising. Probably had passed 30 people at this point and began to count back from the lead car. Felt fairly confident that I was in the top 10 or 15. What to do? Just cruise it. Made the right off of Lake and saw some people I could pick off. Probably passed 5 more by the time we got to the light at the bottom of 28th(?). At this point, there was nobody else in sight. Made the next right back onto the parkway and saw that there was nobody close either in front or behind. Just kept turning them over. A bit slick in spots, but not too bad. Splits were 6:06, 5:49, 5:44, 1:00 (yeah, it was a bit long) -- 18:39. Thanks for reading!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I think you could have downed the martini before the race and still have us all easily beat. Congratulations, and a nice race report! Walt
        hermosa, I like your attire and martini shaker. You sure did well for "not really racing." I envy your speed, but am happy for you enjoying yourself. Congratulations. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

1/33 AG and didn't even spill the drink - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

sounded as though you were on cruise control the entire way. Very nice, indeed.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            coastwalker

That's a heck of a way to shake a martini! Congrats on your top-5 placement and the AG win with hardware (or soft-ware, as was the case with your cool camping chair). Nice race for not really racing... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Okay, running with a martini and still finishing first in your AG at a pace most of us can only dream about is just rubbing it in! Big grin Amazing stuff and fun to read. But let's see some real effort next time, okay? P.S. "Yahoos," huh? So that's what you call us slower folk. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

huskydon

Congratulations! Sounds like you were just out for a casual jog and you ended up a winner!
                  HermosaBoy

Okay, running with a martini and still finishing first in your AG at a pace most of us can only dream about is just rubbing it in! Big grin Amazing stuff and fun to read. But let's see some real effort next time, okay? P.S. "Yahoos," huh? So that's what you call us slower folk. Roll eyes
                    Nah, just the ones that line up right on the line when they are not planning to be up front at the finish. I have much respect for everyone who crosses both the starting line and the finish line -- regardless of pace...

Rob

Tramps

I have much respect for everyone who crosses both the starting line and the finish line -- regardless of pace...
                      Yeah, I know; just kidding! BTW, I've already forwarded this to a friend with a note about how this is the way real runners do it! Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Was this in Minnesota? Big grin Great job! Classic martini or apple?

Runners run

HermosaBoy

Yes, in MinneSNOWta. Classic, VERY dry. The vermouth was in the house when I poured the vodka into the shaker...

Rob

#artbydmcbride

I think you are supposed to hold the bottle up and show the vermouth to the vodka. Big grin

Runners run

HermosaBoy

If they are in the same house -- they are acquainted. I use the vermouth for cooking and the vodka for drinking. Yes

Rob

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice casual race Hermosa! Man yuz fast! At least you got to pass alot of runners! I bet the drink was good at the end! Congrats on the 1st AG! Nice way to end the year. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova