Masters Running

How to Clean Running Shoes (Read 191 times)

I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 5 running shoes that I'm about to retire.  I'd like to wear them casually however they are filthy from running on dirt (sometimes muddy) trails.  Can the shoes be put in the washing machine or would that ruin them?  Any tips on making them halfway presentable would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TammyinGP

when I've wanted to clean off the dirt from mine before, I've just taken the hose outside, put the nozzle on "jet" and sprayed them real well. The jet setting is usually powerful enough to make a noticeable difference. Then I let them sit in the sun and dry - which of course wouldn't really work this time of year, but maybe place them by a heat vent in your house. I've even taken my "Magic eraser" to clean up the scuff marks along the base/outer sole of the shoe.

I hear mixed things about throwing them in the washer. Some say it doesn't harm the shoe, others say it does, but since you are retiring these and not wearing them for running, I don't see the harm in that either.

Tammy

Tramps

Finally, something I'm an expert on!

I basically live in old running shoes.  Here's what I do:

1.  While dry, I brush off any dirt and mud.

2.  If there are some stains, I put some of that pre-wash stain remover stuff and let sit.

3.  I take out the inserts and laces and throw it all in the washer with detergent in cold water at the longest cycle.  (A little baking soda is also useful in neutralizing any odors, I've been told.)

4.  That usually does the trick, but if they're still not clean enough, I've done another wash in warm water--but that can cause them to shrink a bit.

ETA: air dry only, of course.  Crumpled newspapers in the shoes will help absorb moisture, if you're in a hurry.

Good luck!

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I basically live in old running shoes.  Here's what I do:

1.  While dry, I brush off any dirt and mud.

2.  If there are some stains, I put some of that pre-wash stain remover stuff and let sit.

3.  I take out the inserts and laces and throw it all in the washer with detergent in cold water at the longest cycle.  (A little baking soda is also useful in neutralizing any odors, I've been told.)

4.  That usually does the trick, but if they're still not clean enough, I've done another wash in warm water--but that can cause them to shrink a bit.

ETA: air dry only, of course.  Crumpled newspapers in the shoes will help absorb moisture, if you're in a hurry.

Good luck!

Ditto

I could wear a different pair of retired running shoes every day of the week

I figured you high mileage types could help me!!

Thanks!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance