Masters Running

Wednesday 2-14 Daily (Read 37 times)

Tramps

No round-up from me, I’m afraid.

Nice links from Leslie and Steve yesterday. Always good to be reminded that there are a lot of caring folks out there.

Bioguy—I mentioned you plight in passing to a teacher friend.  He sent me this for you.

I bet you Seattle-area folks are thrilled about the application for an NHL expansion team….what…no?  If they keep the same draft rules they gave Vegas, you should have a Cup in a year or two. I’m thinking “The Seattle Baristas.” Or maybe “The Seattle Umbrellas.”

5 miles before some serious warmth arrives this week.

Be safe. Be kind.

metalmancpa//..........Easy on the Hamstrings.....

........I fought that for 2-years before a friend who is a Dr said ''Don't be a DumbAss, get an X-Ray''

turned out to be bone-on-bone Hip Trouble

............hopefully

that isn't the same for you, but as had been said-

''When you Run Thru Pain, usually MORE Pain is Waiting for You''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

That's the problem with hamstring stuff-  it can be a hip rotation issue or back problems.  It's hard to diagnose and hard to treat.

3.5 treadmill miles this morning.  Going to try to get into the doc this morning to get my lungs checked out.  I'm throwing in the towel on this bronchitis.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

5.4 easy early morning miles. 63F and foggy at 5am. RA workout log doesn't have a 'fog' option in the weather conditions so I had to settle for cloudy+humid. Anyone know if there is an option to add other weather conditions?

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Dave59

So Seattle wants an NHL team. I know a one they can have (Sabres).

I ran 4 at the park this morning in a light mist. 52° so it was a shorts kind of day.

I don't think I have ever got Cindy anything for Valentines. Maybe some candy many years ago. So I decided to mess with her head and get something this year. Yesterday I picked up some Jelly Belly candy and a Valentines container to put them in. And this morning I went to a flower shop and got some flowers.  Cindy is out right now but I'll let you know if she drops dead from confusion when she gets back. She'll probably just think it was a waste of money and wonder about my mental facilities.

I went to the flower shop and they had about 6 things available for sale. Guess it is a busy day for them.   The woman walked over and said that was all they had, but I told her that was fine. I had set the bar so low over the last 34 years that a handful of weeds would be a step up. She didn't laugh. 

Speaking of making purchases, I had lunch at Chick Fil A yesterday. The bill was $7.16. The only change I had were quarters and pennies so I gave the cashier $7.26 so I would only get a dime in change. Well, that totally blew her mind. She had to return my penny and then give me 9 cents in change.

Marathon Maniac #957

The woman walked over and said that was all they had, but I told her that was fine. I had set the bar so low over the last 34 years that a handful of weeds would be a step up. She didn't laugh. 

Dave - cashiers these days seem to have no idea how to count money back to you, and don't know what your change should be unless the register tells them.

5 miles for me on the TM watching The Graham Norton Show.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Anzlo

Hey there folks 

I posted a brief intro back in October 2017 with some uncertainty of when I might get back to some regular running.  It now looks like I am able to do so, yeah!  I have to do it with some moderation compared to before for a time while some diet/allergy/nutrition issues are resolved around my ability to produce hemoglobin properly ... but I am running again.  I have 70 miles running and 110 walking since January 1st without noticeable decline in my test results so I am cleared to resume moderate training.

So, if you can tolerate another new guy transferred over from RW I will try to gradually mingle in this year.  I am a little casual on posting just so you know.

Bioguy - I sympathize with your student struggles concerning electronics.  Teaching HS students was my third occupation which I retired from last year after 13 years, and yeah, they are a nuisance.

I participate in events in the 65+ age bracket along with my wife who is younger and in the 60+ bracket.  Neither of us are speed demons but until last year I had kept my HM under 2:00 when my issues showed up.  My wife typically runs HM's in about 2:25 +/- a few minutes.  She wants to do a 50K in October this year and I would like to share the experience with her if I am allowed to do so.  She is able to do more mileage than I can this year.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day and a great week!

BTW, it's also Oregon's "birthday" the state I live and run in.

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Speaking of making purchases, I had lunch at Chick Fil A yesterday. The bill was $7.16. The only change I had were quarters and pennies so I gave the cashier $7.26 so I would only get a dime in change. Well, that totally blew her mind. She had to return my penny and then give me 9 cents in change.

My personal irk is when they hand you the receipt and bills and then dump a bunch of coins on top like a paperweight. You have to take the coins off, put away the bills and receipt, and then pick up the change. What do they expect you to do when they hand you change like that? Wad everything up and shove it in your pocket? Sometimes I ask for the coins first, and it befuddles them. Getting the coins first allows my to use my other hand to hold my wallet as I put away the bills and receipt.

Maybe I'm missing something because I'm being myopic; how do women using a purse put their change away?

The REASON many do it is because they are counting the change the way the cash register shows them; "$3.68" so they pull out $3 in bills and then count out 68 cents in change . Often the new registers show a PICTURE of the change, in this case three dollar bills, two quarters, a dime, a nickel, and three pennies!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

Welcome back into the fold, Anzlo!  I forgot that today was Oregon's bday also. Whereabouts in Oregon are you? I'm in So. Or. 

After 3 non-running days, I will leave work early to go run a bit. I have 22 on schedule for Saturday, so need to get in a few runs this week so as not to shock the legs with that distance. 

I, too, just shake my head at the ineptitude and pure confusion over making change in situations like Dave mentioned. it's not just kids, it's even adults that just don't grasp the concept.  and one day my DH stopped in at some fast food place - can remember which one - but something on the menu was in cursive writing and the new kid behind the counter needed help from a co-worker deciphering what it said because he couldn't read cursive.  Who would have thought that "can you read cursive writing" might have to be a question on a job application. 

Tammy

bioguy

Hi

I bagged my run yesterday after 2 miles. I was supposed to do 8x 600 meters and really was in an incredibly bad mood and just bagged it. First workout in months I've bailed on.

I appreciate all of your comments about student distraction with electronics.

I use a variety of educational sites, have my very wn YouTube channel, etc, but push comes to shove, about 15% of our population simply cannot resist the urge of music in their earbuds, a game app, or a snapchat/twitter/Instagram update.

Yes, I'd love to ban them, but realistically, it isn't gong to happen. How many times have you seen teens walking together and each is staring at their own phone. How many parents do you know that put their kids in the back seat with a movie screen for them? Yeah, six years later, let me compete with a biology text. There's a reason many tech moguls send their own children to schools without the latest tech bells and whistles.

Plan on a run today to make up for yesterday.

BTW, if you want to really see a cashier struggle, overpay them so you get fewer coins back in change....

Tailwinds.

Henrun

3 miles for me today. Have run 3 days in a row. Maybe running in the Florida warmth makes it easier for me to run consecutive days. Followed by a little beach time. Another 2+ week’s of this might be very addictive.

TammyinGP

speaking of electronics - my interesting observation the other day was watching a mom with her 3 kids at a sit down restaurant. Oldest girl appeared to be about 14, another girl about 10, a boy about 7 or 8. The 3 kids were interacting with each other although the oldest girl primarily ate her soup, looked around at the walls/ceiling fixtures, while the mom sat there on her phone for the entire 10 minutes I was waiting for my take-out, probably scrolling through her FB or IG. Not once did I see her look up at her children or connect with them in anyway. pretty sad reflection of her dynamic with her kids.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

My personal irk is when they hand you the receipt and bills and then dump a bunch of coins on top like a paperweight. You have to take the coins off, put away the bills and receipt, and then pick up the change. What do they expect you to do when they hand you change like that? Wad everything up and shove it in your pocket?

Exactly!  As for the purse question, my wallet has a zippered pocket for change, but yes, I have to put the change in first before I can deal with the bills.

Welcome back, Anzlo!

Tammy - my 15yo DD had about 6 weeks of cursive in the 3rd grade, and now doesn't remember any of it.  She has to have me interpret for her.  Meanwhile, I have recently returned to writing solely in cursive on the white board in the kitchen where I write my grocery list, just for the heck of it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I can read cursive, but my own version of writing cursive has changed mostly to print. My own font you might say.  My oldest granddaughter (age 9) has been learning cursive in school. I was happy to hear that.

3 miles at the McKay Tract after work yesterday.  First time I've been out there in almost year.  It was nice to say "Hello" to an old friend.

45 min of core/ST this a.m.

Love the discussion re writing in cursive, technology, and blowing cashiers' minds.  As far as getting change back, I dumped it in the bottom of my purse.  When my purse starts getting heavy, I dump the change in the counter, count it (usually $7-$11), and then it goes in our 5-gallon water jug we've been filling with only "silver" the last upteen years.  We are thisclose to have it full.  Once full, we're going to roll all the coins and put it an extra payment toward either the house or the car.  We're betting on how much is in there.  I'm guessing over $2,000. 

I'm having a bit of a personal crisis at work right now.  Our dept secretary has been out since Friday (sick kid, doc appt out of town, etc), so I've been taking all the calls, etc.  I've had no less than 5 clients leave messages saying they've called or emailed multiple times with no response from her, wondering why it's taking so long to get their documents, yadda, yadda, yadda. And there's a lot more going on than that as far as her not getting her work done. I talked with our office manager this morning and she said something that helped: You have to separate friendship from work, and right now Amy is not doing her job.  I get that she has a ton on her plate, but join the club.  We're all feeling the pressure, but we're getting our work done.  At some point, I think I need to have a heart-to-heart with my boss. . . . this doesn't feel good.

And on that note - Off to see the Wizard ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance