Masters Running

Sunday and its still cold on 23 March (Read 43 times)

C-R

Hey where is everyone? Sleeping and racing I guess.

I made chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for the kids this morning with the neighbors maple syrup made from his own trees in southern Indiana. Great start.

Well its the trails for me with some friends and then beer tasting so this is looking to be a fun Sunday. Still a bit sore from yesterdays effort but it makes me feel energized.

Have fun everyone and looking forward to the race reports.

Well done tet. Your fortitude is amazing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R, I meant to congratulate you on that speedy half yesterday!

Tet - wow, amazing!!  Glad you enjoyed your mud puddle.

Just feeling so weekendy right now, aimlessly puttering around and thinking about where and when I should run.  It will be a high of 56F today, and into the 60s tomorrow, the trees are flowering, the daffodils are out and it is sunny and SO SPRING LIKE.  I wish I could share it all with you Easterners.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

I ran with the running club this morning.It was my last long run before the Paris Marathon, 17.2 miles.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

My run today was in 29-32 degrees with a stiff wind.  Felt great going in one direction but not in the other.  Still, dry pavement wins over ice every time.

20.1 miles, slower than dirt.

I have never felt less ready for a marathon than this one.  My new strategy is to drop 8 lbs in the two weeks before the race to help my speed.  Given my dieting successes of the last few years (none), I don't have a lot of faith this will happen.  HOWEVER, I am mostly just grateful my Achilles is all better.  Fat and slow is WAY better than injured.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Holly, fat and slow is better than being injured or not running at all. Good job on your 20+ miler. When is your marathon? I am feeling a bit behind for the Ave of the Giants as well.

Tetsujin, you never stop to amaze us!

Paul is running the Paris marathon. Have fun!!!!!

Like Enkie, I am just doing some come-caring and waiting to run later. A friend of mine is visiting us, so I spent the last 28 hours cooking and entertaining. I made a delicious breakfast for us all and now I will have to go out and run longish Smile).

The highlight of our morning for my DH and I was to keep twocat company  for a few minutes (via phone) on his 16 miler this morning. Bluetooth is the lone runner's best friend, I tell ya.  Welcome back to the USA, twocat. I am sure you will have some stories to tell us here. Did you bring back any Irish whiskey?.

Go racers, go!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Windy here too at times during my 22.1 miles with teammates. Good and strong pace at 8:20s and we ran a Boston-like course with the climbs toward the end. 85 mile week. roar. Hang in there Holly and don't try to diet too much---food is fuel and energy and you need that in a marathon!

Nice racing C-R! and I think my stomach just growled reading about breakfast at your house!

Paris marathon! I'd love to run that some day---on the list.

Tet rocks!

Love the word weekendy. I'd like to extend that feeling too. Lots of travel last week so many early am runs and such. Ah well, just grateful to be moving forward in all ways possible.

Your David is so wonderful Tammy and indeed a tribute to a great mom.

Refueled after today's run with a kale, broccoli, spinach and egg white omelette (turmeric and garlic for some pop) accompanied by a bowl of blueberries and raspberries.

On to some errands and time with super-granny

OK - if anyone hears me say I'm going to bootcamp class again between now and Boston - TIE ME DOWN!!  That had to be one of the dumbest things I've done lately!!   My legs were still so sore today - probably didnt help that I drove 90 minutes to the Cape and 90 minutes back yesterday, but I did sit in the hot tub last night to try and loosen them up!!

17.3 miles today in 2:43:10 -- avg pace is where I wanted it at 9:25 but very inconsistent splits with a fast of 8:55 and a slow of 9:55 -- think it had a lot to do with the course tho.  We ran hill after hill from Haverhill, MA through Atkinson, NH!!  Always a great run when running with friends!!

Happy Sunday to all!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  I made it out for a short run this morning.  No twinges in the hammy for a few days so I did some stretching and rolling last night with no ill effects.  None after 3.1 miles around the lake, so I'm hoping this was a very minor setback.

right now I'm sitting and watching the parade of birds to our window feeder.  For the past few minutes it's been alternating bright red male cardinal with gold finches getting into their bright summer colors.  Pretty neat.  Hoping it's getting towards the end of feeding season, but we are supposed to get ANOTHER winter storm in a few days.  No one is giving any real predications at the moment, but some of the models I've been looking at show Boston with over 12" of snow.  Oh yeah, and down to 12F tonight.

Amazing total for you, Tet--glad you haven't lost your love of stomping in mud puddles.

Nice long runs for Paul, Holly, Karin, and Denise.  And I guess TwoCat, even though he doesn't seem to want to talk with the rest of us.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

5 miles at my Mountain.  Felt sproinky again....gosh, that was nice, two days in a row.  I think it was the bright fuchsia shorts I wore.  Or just the fact that I could wear shorts.  I love IRC!!!!   Today is blisteringly sunny.   Going to cut the grass soon, and right after, crack open an ice cold tall boy.  It doesn't get any better than that!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Refueled after today's run with a kale, broccoli, spinach and egg white omelette (turmeric and garlic for some pop) accompanied by a bowl of blueberries and raspberries.

Sorry, but after 22 miles, I would rather have breakfast at C-R's house....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

An amazing effort yesterday, Tet, puddles and all!

I also like "feeling so weekendy" Enke.

Holly, do you really want to drop 8 lbs in the two weeks prior to a marathon? Read again what CNY said above. You're more ready than you think...

Speaking of dieting (or not), lots of good cooking and eating (and drinking) going on around here today!

Lots of great long runs too, Paul, Holly, CNY, Deeze - you'd think we're heading for marathon season or something!

Glad to know the hammie is behaving, Strumpy. Yeah, we're keeping an eye on that potential mid-week storm too.

3.5 RW miles around the indoor track before this morning's racewalking training session. I forced myself to take it easy today after yesterday's longish workout. At the session we looked at some video of some very talented racewalkers, and then did some quick-step drills and hip-rotation drills. We have a few folks who have never done any racing before, so we talked about training for racing, and about race day prep and strategies - all fun stuff! ON the way home, I say lots of folks pulled over to take photos of a snowy owl perched on phone pole. I also saw the little sign for the scallop boat at Rye Harbor again, so I went back at noon to pick up a few more pounds. They freeze very well, so we'll have some tasty meals to look forward to for a while (including tonight).

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I wish I had the time to comment on everybody's posts...there are some good ones.  Karin...talking about somebody who rocks!  You are going to crush Boston.

I was also going to try and talk Holly out of trying to lose weight before her marathon.  I just don't think this is a good time to skimp on fuel for your body...just eat smart.

I did my 8K.  Not real fast.  I don't have the official results but my Garmin said 31:10.  I really wanted to go under 31 and was feeling good until we had to turn back into the wind.  By mile 4 I was ready to start walking.  Oh well...it is what it is and I fun seeing some friends.  Including Hermosaboy who, I'm sure did very well.

Okay--I have to get going--it's bowling league night.  Oh yay....

Oh--C-R--nice half yesterday.  Very nice.

Oh--Enke--I don't want to hear about your dang weather anymore!  " I love "IRC!!!!   Today is blisteringly sunny.   Going to cut the grass soon..." Blah Blah Blah!  I ain't listening!  I ain't listening! I ain't listening!

...Congratulations to tet//...................and Belated Congratulations to david..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

NHLA

9 miles 1 hr 47 min   Wolf Mt & Long Rock  tough trail   hard to run fast but its a great trail.

I ask a 50 stater what was your fav      Paris... good luck/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Although I love the Mercer Island Half Mary and the 13.1 miles of smooth, barefoot-friendly pavements around the island, for some strange reason, I was just too tired for it today and,went for a picnic lunch in the sunshine under the full blooming cherry trees instead. Supposed to be into the sixties, if not 70 on Monday divechief, so hope you get some time off..  thanks again.

I'm still relishing the 41.6 miles (1)around and (2)around and (3)around and (4)around and (5)around and (6)around and (7)around and (8)around and (9)around and (10)around and (11)around and (12)around and (13)around Green Lake. yippee. no wonder I love running, albeit walking, so much.  Mou ichido, arigatou MikeMP,.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)