Masters Running

Tuesday, 6.6.17 daily (Read 34 times)

Mariposai

Good morning running friends and greetings from London. The Easy Pacer and I are at the airport waiting for our flight back to our nest in Washington State. No running here, but I must admit that I have walked around the airport for an hour so far. We still have another  3 hours to wait for our flight, so I will have more chances to get in another hour Smile walking.

Here is to a successful day to you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Mornin' Mariposai, and those to follow.

Fly (and walk) safely, Mariposai!

Monday’s workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.1 tapering miles)

Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical, 15 min on rowing machine, and 30 min of weights/core)

BerthaSlayer (Day 2 - plank challenge, plus 1 mile, playground equipment work, and .6 mile)

Henrun (2 morning mizzle miles)

Holly (1000 pool yards, + 15 min weights & core)

Tomwhite (20 min X-bike standing + 40 min pool run w/ letters)

Tramps (5 EZ miles)

Spacityrunner (4 soggy, fun, trail miles)

Flats (7+ recovery miles, without ice cream money)

Mike (4 recap miles)

RunnerKSA, better to feel horrible on a taper run than in a race. I have confidence that you’ll do well and will have a blast at the H&M.

Good job (not) of sleeping in, Jlynne. Go with what Henrun says about retirement - he knows a thing or two.

BerthaSlayer, my DW calls me “Mr. Grip” because of my exceptional (or not) arm strength…

Sounds like a great time on the Cape, Henrun!

I hope you got your luggage back, Pfriese. Skip the souvenirs next time.

Holly, I wouldn’t know what to wear with my Lularoe leggings either, which is why I don’t have them.

Evanflein (and Stumpy), I’m perhaps stoopidly optimistic that the work we did in our Town Forest will stick, at least for a while. We’ll see. You have been busy, haven’t you? I’m glad you found time for some food & wine.

Stumpy - Beanie Babies & Vera Bradley?

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Twocat, with a race thrown in. You all look great, and I love all the smiles!

Thanks for the Harriette Thompson story, Tramps. She’s amazing!

Flats, I’ve got a lot of stories about when I drove an ice cream truck a couple of summers while I was in college…

Sorry, Tammy.

I dunno if Twocat envy is treatable, Steve. But don’t tell him about it!

I didn't want to skip 2 days in a row, so I went out in 47° temps, light rain, and high (20+ mph) winds this morning. It was...interesting. I almost got blown off the road twice. I went a scootch over 6 RW miles, and had a decent workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I've got just about everyone here envy for all the miles you guys pile up.

It would have been VERY tempting to reset the alarm for another hour or so, but no sound of rain at Jay o'clock +1 or so.  I had a mizzle and 49° with about the same gentle zephyrs.  I was tempted to wear some gloves, but in June?  3.1 miles around the lake.  Strangely enough not too many folks out this morning.

Happy travels, Mari

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jay.

2.6 muggy miles for this morning.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77 the problem appears to be that Ireland has moved to the US. Outside it looks just like Ireland. Cloudy with occasional rain all day. We left CT and it was this way, it was apparently this way while we were gone and it is this way now! Will summer ever arrive?

SteveP instead of envy, just join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club's relay team this year! You get to travel along with a great group. How about it? The race is this September 14 to the 16.

TammyinGP if people can put 0.0 stickers on their car you can get recapped for 0 miles! Well, at least my irregular version that is also a lot shorter than Jay's.

flats I pass a donut shop and think the same thing! We all have our vices.

spacityrunner if it is not raining when you start that is all that counts.

Holly S. if it were not for Mariposai there would be far, far, far, far, far, far fewer Facebook pictures! She is a prolific poster there.

Mariposai welcome back to the USA. Well, at least welcome back by the time you read this.

coastwalker when you violate the running rules what do you expect? The TM was invented for emergencies like the one you faced.

I am still in multiple recovery mode. I am half dizzy from jet lag. My quads are still sore. I am suffering from a severe case of O.L.D., what can I say. In good news, I cleared out a large pile of emails that had stacked up while I was gone!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Morning all!

I ran an amazingly sproinky 9 miles on this warm & humid morning on well-rested legs but with wheezy lungs. Next on the list mow the yard & boy did it grow a lot over the last 12 days.

Paul

I've been MIA for a few days and am playing catch up.

Stumpy - I have Mileage Envy, as well.

Loved all the pics of Ireland (TwoKitty and Posie Lady) and Spain and Italy (Paul)

Saturday I worked the start/finish line of the Grasshopper 30k/10.5 mile trail run in Southern Humboldt.  It was a ton of fun.  The temps were about 20 degrees cooler than the last 3 years, so unfortunately I missed out on that part of the running.  Dang!

However, there was a young woman running her first trail run who had never run more than an HM on pavement and wanted to sign up for the 30k.  She had been emailing the RD, worried she wouldn't be able to finish within the 6 hr. time limit.  The Grasshopper is a tough run.  The first 9-10 miles are all uphill with a total elevation gain of 4,268 over the 18.6 miles.  The RD told her to go for it, she had the full 6 hrs to finish.  Reports from the sweep during the first half of the race weren't very encouraging, but that young woman ended up getting her second wind on the back half and finished in 5:28 with her family waiting for her at the finish line.  We all were all so happy for her!!  I got all goose-bumpy and teary-eyed.  It was great!

Sunday I did about an hour of core/ST then got stuff done around the house.

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles after work.  Took me 50 freaking minutes!! *sigh*  Patience.  It's all about patience.  Ain't gonna help the speed of our relay team much.  Sorry, Tamster.

This morning was a solid hour of core/ST.  My body is pleasantly pooped.  

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie: the fun factor of having you on the team far surpasses any speed that may be lacking right now. It's all good. Those other speedsters on the team will more than make up any time. 

It's supposed to be 90 today, but dangit, I will run in that heat so I can make the recap tomorrow.  This will be our final day of heat for the foreseeable future. I'm calling for cool upper 70's, maybe low 80's, for the relay. The night up in the mountains though - - - that's a whole other story 

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

The photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing them.

Today I ran 6 miles. They felt good.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Tramps

Looks like a fun time in Ireland!  Congrats all around.

At home, it looks like I’m on the DL for a while.  After last week’s gait analysis, I went for my follow-up visit/re-examination with my sports doc today.  I’m terrible at medical stuff but here’s what I heard:

• My gait anomalies suggest that I have various muscle weaknesses (hips, glutes) on my left side.
                      • These weaknesses likely exacerbate chronic knee damage—probably meniscus damage.
                      • It’s impossible to know if these weaknesses developed as a result of altering my gait due to the pain, or if they helped to trigger the pain in the first place. Either way, running this way is not good for the knee; the weaknesses need to be addressed before I return to any running.
                      • I’ve got a battery of exercises to do at home for at least two weeks, as well as a recommendation that I stop all running during this time and cross train instead . (You can imagine that conversation: “All running?” “All running.” “No running at all?”  “No running at all.”  “Not even easy miles?”  “No easy miles.”  “Not even a couple?”  “No miles at all.” )  This is from a highly recommended sports clinic doc who is a runner, etc. etc.  Sigh.
                      • No need for an MRI now since I’m not showing any symptoms that would suggest a possible need for arthroscopic surgery.

I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was a bit of a bummer but I’m keeping it in perspective.  We’re at the beach on vacation next week and I’d been looking forward to long runs in a different place.  Now I’ll just have to settle for more beer and barbecue.  

Onward.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Buried at work as usual, so this is a read-and-run....

4.6 miles for me today in 53 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

That really stinks, Tramps!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hope Mike means the running part, not the beer and BBQ part.  But, yes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

• I’ve got a battery of exercises to do at home for at least two weeks, as well as a recommendation that I stop all running during this time and cross train instead . (You can imagine that conversation: “All running?” “All running.” “No running at all?”  “No running at all.”  “Not even easy miles?”  “No easy miles.”  “Not even a couple?”  “No miles at all.” )  This is from a highly recommended sports clinic doc who is a runner, etc. etc.  Sigh.

This sounds like conversations I've had with my medical professional in the past. We're all just a slightly different version of the same crazy. Sorry to hear this, Tramps, but on the GOOD side, no surgery and can be helped with strengthening the weak parts, which should be something we're all working on anyway! Enjoy the vacation.

Welcome home to all our travelers. Speaking of envy, I want to go with Paul and his DW on one of their trips...

Heading out soon for a mid-day run in mid-60's with sunny skies. IRC!

Tramps - I recommend this a lot to folks - running and non-running - because I've experienced amazing results myself, as well as seen the amazing results in others.

See if there is anyone practicing Muscle Activation Technique (MAT) therapy in your area.  It's not covered by insurance, unfortunately, but it truly has been a God-send to all folks who I have referred locally.  The very dumbed down explanation is is there are all these little muscles in your body that, for whatever reason, decide to go to sleep and let the big muscles do all the work, thus creating an imbalance.  MAT therapy works to wake up those little muscles and make them do their job.  It's the only thing that helps my sciatica when it flares up.  It's like PT on Valium because the movements are so small and minute.  I've found it to be very helpful when combined with regular PT, as well.

A lot of regular PT's (mine included) kind of poo-poo this type of therapy, but it works.  It absolutely works.

Let me know if you have any questions ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance