Masters Running

Wednesday Cinco de Mayo Runs (Read 669 times)

Good morning everyone.  Happy Cinco de Mayo, and easy on the margaritas tonight.

{{{Trent}}} I watched the national news last night. Wow - the damage is unbelievable. Is the water receding where you are? Any insurance estimates yet? Keep running, my friend.

Roch - that's sad about that poor dog. Makes you wonder how he got on the freeway to begin with. I hope he made it off the highway safely.

Cross training day for me. 5 miles on the eliptical followed with machines for legs and back. DH booked a hotel room for the Twin Cities marathon last night. Looks like it's official now...

Dave59

My easy 3 miles this morning was run harder than needed.  Long day at work yesterday, dealing with bureaucracy, made me want to feel some pain this morning. 

What amazes me is how little coverage the floods in Tennessee and surrounding areas is getting. Seems like the news is fixated on the oil spill.

Anyone else love the comic strips?  I like to read them every morning.  For the past few years now my favorite is Pearls Before Swine.  I must have at least 6 friends who are into model trains and this morning's strip was for them.  Cracked me up big time. Choo Choo

CNY, why are you tempted to go to Paris?  The Paris Marathon is not till next April.

Jlynne, hotel, shmotel.  It's official when you mention it on a Daily.

Today I tried my first speedwork since Boston.  And it felt like it too, especially now that the H&H appears to be back.  The plan was for 13 miles altogether with 13 x 2 minutes @10K pace (7:35ish) with 1 minute jog recovery.  After about 4 or 5 repeats I wasn't at all sure I was going to be able to finish them all, but I hung in there - one at a time.

13.1 miles at 8:48 pace.  The repeats were run at paces of:

7:36, 7:42, 7:41, 7:32, 7:40, 7:33, 7:37, 7:31, 7:32, 7:23, 7:28, 7:36, and 7:27.

Tired now.  Recovery tomorrow.  Cinco de Mayo celebration at lunch time!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Thanks for the start this morning Jlynne.

A nice run last evening of 4 miles on a route near my house that has two killer hills.  Being an out and back route I get the benefit of the downhill along with the challenge of the climb.   A lot like life huh?    Most challenges produce benefits and most benefits include challenges.

Trent .....We all continue to be concerned for you.  Hopefully the associated "red tape" that is often a part of such matters will be quickly moved along.  Certainly a daily run will be helpful in handling the stress that you are facing.

Have a great day everyone.

Joey

Vista
            Ran early this morning and felt great---easy paced 6.6 loop in the neighborhood without a watch. temps cooler at 40º

Legs feel great but no marathoning again until September for me. Any tips on the Clarence DeMar course Aamos?

Ah Speedy Bill...you saw my KR Post! Indeed as I was boarding my flight last night to come home from Atlanta they were announcing final boarding for a flight to Paris. I was sorely tempted....and not for the marathon (April 30, 2011). memories of a French boyfriend long ago?....wandering in and out of museums and parks?.....incredible food and wine...oh I don't know!!!?   My parents were married just over the Swiss border in the French Alps---they hiked to a monastery designed by my Dad's mentor---Le Corbusier and got married in their hiking clothes---very romantic and cool for 1958.  I was thinking of that as I heard the flight announcements. Home sweet home though and off to Ohio later this afternoon. It will be great to see Holly!

((((Trent))))) Keep running as you can. We're all thinking of you.

Happy running all

Wannaberunner----great job in Pittsburgh. Post your RR on the thread! 

No margaritas for me. I'm on a mission to drop 10 lbs and get faster. to that end:

A moderate 5.2 miles this morning @ 8:53 pace. 2nd run with the new Garmin. I got a 205 and like it so far. A very nice run on a beautiful Spring morning. Felt good.

I survived my first ever track workout last night. Last night was a 1 mile time trial. The coach had a sign-in sheet where you put you name and a projected time. I sensed some sandbagging from the group . I was conservative and put down 7:15. My best 5K time was 23:10 18 months ago so I thought that was an OK goal but i was secretly hoping for sub-7. Coach was calling out the splits and I actually started at 6:40 pace. I slowed that a little but my finishing kick got me 6:57.  Not bad. And I felt pretty good doing it. I did get lapped by a young buck though running a 5:45 or so. Next mile time trial is August 17th so hope to knock that down to 6:45 or so.

1 mile warm-up, a few strides

1 mile time trial, 6:57

8 x 100 meter pick-ups

1/2 mile cool down

First track workout in the books and I'm looking forward to next week's workout: "Mystery Fartlek". I guess it's random pick-ups and stops along the track for boot camp style core and strength work.

I look my best blurry!

Wannaberunner----great job in Pittsburgh. Post your RR on the thread! 

I put it on Sarge's thread.  Thanks for asking.  You might regret it.  It is kind of long!

Slo

Jlynne.......While it's awesome that you have committed to doing your first Marathon I am greatly saddend by the State and City you chose. But.....since your doing it for Spareribs I guess it isn't like your pulling an ole number 4 on us.

No run to report.

CNY.....Great interview. I finally got to watch it ! Thanks for the link.

Here's to Us !

Slo

I put it on Sarge's thread.  Thanks for asking.  You might regret it.  It is kind of long!

wannaberunner 

Damn......Awesome running ! Very nice race......excellent report.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – I have no doubt you will do great!

Roch – that is sad.  I know that image would have been haunting me also.

{{{Fatossig}}}  Always hard to say goodbye to a loved pet.

Breger – nice workout!  I have to remember that one.  Although, I have no idea what my 10K pace is.

EGH3 – nice time trial!  I don’t think I’ve actually ever run a 6Tight lippedx mile.

Wannabe – you should post it on a separate thread so it will get the notice it deserves!

It will be wonderful to run with Karin tomorrow!  Although, she's so fast now, I may just have to tie a rope around her waist to keep up. 

Legs were tired and stiff today from yesterday’s workout, so my pace was slow, but how could my heart not be light as I hummed along to Keith Urban’s Love Somebody Like You in the awakening dawn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6VQ91P_rc

6.25 miles in 55° (ave pace 10:26).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Breger – nice workout!  I have to remember that one.  Although, I have no idea what my 10K pace is.

Just run each repeat "comfortably hard" (or "fast tempo" pace).  Then you'll know what your 10K pace is.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Trent continued best wishes in getting through it all.  The reports on TV look just dreadful.

fatozzig my condolences on the loss of your pet.  It is tough to let go of such good friends.  Very sad.

tselbs boy do I know what you mean!  In my first ever HM there was a cop directing runners at about the 9 mile mark and announcing that this was the last hill.  Well maybe the last except for the one a mile down the course!  As I was running up the next hill I heard a guy wondering out loud what kind of person would tell people the prior hill was the last!    I still chuckle whenever I recall the whole setting and the plaintiff way he said it.

rochrunner I sure hope the dog made it but it does not sound good.

Not much to report today on my end.  Gorgeous day here in the north east!  DW has signed up to do a 10K this Saturday with a friend of ours.  She is encouraging me to go and run/walk it as my day's run.  I am kind of torn about it.  I would like to do it.  But, I also know me.  If I run the race I am likely to push it as hard as I can.  Whether that would be such a good idea I am not sure.  [editor:  Get me Mariposai on the phone!  Then get Spareribs!  After that the leg shackles!]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Good morning. I forgot about Cinqo de Mayo. ..Karin I know what you mean about tempting flights; it seems like forever since I went somewhere for fun. We  used to take the kids  off to hike a couple of weeks in the summer, sometimes western US and a few times Switzerland.  I want to go back,   maybe go  do the Jungfrau marathon some day; the first half looks ok.. no doubt if I mess the time cut off a hook will be lowered from a helicopter and  I would be plucked from the course.  I would want to have the energy to hike after though...

Anyway, back to reality. 8 miles this morning again, sunny and 50s, though it felt warmer  than that . Reallly do want a swim later.

Erika, you encountered the wind shifter machine, which, along with the hill tilter, sometimes conspire to make runs a bit more difficult.

Trent, I hope things are ok. 

Happy running to all!

Mariposai

I think Mrs. Twocat is right, you should go to run that 10k with her, her friend and the editor. But walk/running it with them and not alone...that should keep you out of trouble. ...now...What Would Ribs say?

Bregarcito, look at how fast your legs are recovering after the marathon. I can't wait to see how you do in your next marathon.

Yeah, Trent's situation puts life in perspective, does't it?

Up early today to make a special breakfast for DS#2 who is doing his AP Calculus 5 hour test today. The poor kid is nervous today.  6 crispy miles for me prior to making breakfast and chicken mole for dinner tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Erika, you encountered the wind shifter machine, which, along with the hill tilter, sometimes conspire to make runs a bit more difficult.

Big grin