Masters Running

Saturday May 3 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 513 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Yesterday Spareribs said, “too many hours per week in training can work against recovery and adaptation. And as for the marathoner's "long run", I would rather see them curtailed at 3 hours, irrespective of the number of miles, but have the runner do more of these, than the oft-suggested "3 long runs" etc. Spareribs” This got me thinking…good discussion yesterday on this. 2.25 short miles today in 63 wet and windy degrees , including 4 minutes at MP (four whole minutes, lol) I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s marathon. It’s so nice to be relaxed, not a bundle of nerves, not worried about time or performance. Weather is supposed to be IRC – 46-53-ish during our runtime. Off to pick up our race packets in Cincinnati early, then packing and more packing for the rest of the day. Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

We're so looking forward to your RR Holly!!!! I'll take running gear with me. We gotta get out to Mom's. Her memorial is next Saturday. A few weeks ago, DW and I discovered that the Traverse City State Theater has a 10:30 show every Saturday. All seats are $.25 . http://www.traversecityfilmfest.org/statetheatre/?page=comingsoon The first time we went, it was just the two of us and 400 screaming kids!!! We saw "The Rocketeer". Sat in the balcony. Before the show, cartoons were played. One smart young man, about four, whom I've never seen before, wanted to see a Batman cartoon. It gives up hope for today's youth. Since then, we've had a standing date, but have borrowed kids who have not been to a theater often...A couple may not have been at all. We've only got three today.

SteveP

Mariposai

I am up early to get ready to drive the one hour to the Methow were I will be running my 21.7 miles trail race. The weather should be cloudy, 50 degree in the morning going up to 65 degrees in the early afternoon, which is a perfect weather condition for trail running. I am wearing my Eugene 2007 t-shirt to make me think of the fun folks are having in Eugene this weekend. Good luck in your race tomorrow Holly and speedy packing today. Nice to see you here Batman. What was the final score last night SR? Is the Saint running her half mary this weekend? Now is time to eat my breakfast of champions and then I should hit the road. Here is to a happy Saturday to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

annied

Nice and easy 6 mile run. Felt a little better. Holly, good luck on the marathon tomorrow. You are one strong woman! Do you ever get injured?

King of PhotoShop

Good morning Mariposai. Sharks won 3-2 in OT forcing a game six. And there is a fine for saying "half mary" but yes she is running her half tomorrow. I am very excited for her. Good luck in your trail race, sounds tough. Thank you Holly. Joey asked a good question and it's something runners should at least consider: time on your feet vs. miles in long runs. I have seen some very long long runs timewise and I often wonder if they were helpful. I'm headed out for 3.3 in a few minutes. Just got up after watching that stoopid game. Spareribs
            anachrotech

Good luck Holly ! I'm still having some intermittent morning joint soreness so I didn't get my run in on Monday or Thursday. Tuesday was ok with 3 miles in 33. Today, I decided not to fight myself by trying to keep my pace up. I think that has been working against me. So I kept my pace at 11:15 (can I go slower? Yes, I can !) and was able to finish 4 miles in 45:18. This is my first 4 miler in a long time. Smile Good runs all.
                Holly - Have a great marathon tomorrow. Will be thinking of you when out there doing my 38K...in the rain. Hope it's nice for you. Have a great run Spareribs. No running for me today. L and I are dining with Topdown and his DW. Then 38K tomorrow. Was reading thru my training plan and noticed this funny entry from my coach for a workout the week before the Ottawa Marathon. Sun May 18 15k 5k easy, 5k at MP, 5k easy. Run the right pace. If you go too fast, I will beat you senseless and tell everyone skinny me did it to big strong you. He knows me so well. Good luck racers and great training runs for those that are not racing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

dg.

morning all, Stevep, that's a nice thing to do. and I'm glad you've stopped kicking yourself. welcome annied. glad you're feeling a little better. {{{Lou's knee}}} Liz I'm so glad to hear from you and am duly impressed. what a month. You're fun when you're chatty. 'am but a swimmer'.. like that involves no effort?. Look at your last year & how you've persevered. give yourself the credit you'd give someone else. Doug, congrats to DS. I hope this bout of soreness is short lived. did you immediately cut back as planned? i'm having a little of the same this week, but was able to go ahead & run yesterday. yet i hurt all night. I haven't really been keeping track of how much/ how fast I've been increasing.. have you? maybe a good idea? Tomwhite, thanks for the link. best of luck for your trial run. early am yoga & some SS planks, my favorite. then assorted housework & lots of dandelion pulling. Ribs, no falling out of trees. good luck Holly, Mariposai, the Saint, & everyone racing this weekend!
                    Good luck Holly. And good luck to all the Eugenians this weekend, also. Lot's of great experiences happening this weekend...enjoy it all! Looking forward to more rr. I'm still trying to get out the door for some easy walking. I had 3 days of 3miles easy walks planned for this week and didn't get out the door once. It seemed there was always a good reason excuse not to go. Maybe today is the day. I do have a plan in place, though, to get back to it. I'll be going to Grand Canyon this next week for some business training. Staying on the south rim. I've never been to the canyon before and really looking forward to it. I plan to get in some short easy runs and soak up the beauty. Happy belated Birthday WRFB! Your cakes looked mahvelous.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Just got up after watching that stoopid game.
                      I'm pulling for Dallas too, as they're probably easier fodder for the Wings in the next round. I'm also impressed that you used the word "curtailed" in yesterday's post without some reference to dog watches. Big grin Off to Mt. Pleasant for graduation ceremonies later this PM. Transitions are always tough for our family and this is a bigger one than most. But it will be nice to see the DS in his cap & gown!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning Boomers. Practice run for the CellCom half marathon coming up on the 18th this morning. 13.1 in 2:06:10 with one "rest" stop at Super America. That's 3 minutes faster than when I ran it two years ago! Great running conditions this morning - overcast, no wind, 51F. Legs were tired the last mile but I always try to remember my George Patton quote: "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do noe thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired. You have always got to make the mind take over and keep going." Sometimes this works, sometimes not! Good luck to all the racers this weekend - get out there and dance all night! Jeanne
                          Holly good luck with the marathon. I am looking forward to reading the RR. Mariposai a 21.7 mile trail race! Wow! I did a HM trail race once, not easy. I am always impressed by the people that do these things. Best of luck. dg. I bought a weed puller a few years back. Does a great job on the dandelion's. Boy do those things produce deep roots! Great practice run Jlynne. You will have a great HM in two weeks! Today was my longest run since coming off the DL. The local jogging club has moved its starting location to the local train station near my house. So I ran do there, went with them, then ran back home for a total of 10.37 miles. The move is seasonal. When you do not need a parking pass they start at the town beach. When you do they move to the train station. All I can say is, man am I slow! :P I started off with a group I normally go out with and had to watch them disappear into the distance. Well nobody said getting back in shape after a one month layoff would happen instantly. In other news it looks more and more likely I will run the Missoula Marathon on July 13. Some friends of mine from Montana are going to run the HM so that means I will have some company if I go. So far I booked a hotel and car. Basically, I can cancel them at no cost if I decide to bail on this and figured the reservations would keep my options open. Good runs to everybody today. I hope to return later to read up on the day's events.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Eeeek! Less than 24 hours! Hi, just packing up, and will be leaving soon. Feeling better today, ears aren't ringing as much anymore. Mariposai - good luck on your trail race! I want to hear all about it. Discussion about cutting off long runs at 3 hours. Well, I would only cover 16 miles in 3 hours. I really felt I needed to get within one hour of my likely finish time to be prepared psychologically, if not physically for the marathon, so that meant, yeah, over 3 1/2 hours 20 milers. It did me no harm (i think). Good runs everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Here is what I was thinking about during my short run this morning (3.3 in 29:05). When you are totally out of shape and miserable, let's say you are at zero, you feel rotten. When you are in the best shape of your life, say at one hundred, you also feel rotten because there are always some injuries lurking, you expect every race to be a good one, and you're always worried about something. But when you are in between, say growing mileage or part way through a long training cycle, that is the most exciting time of all. Each week you can see yourself becoming fitter. You watch the miles add up in your log, your average pace gets faster, and you have the excitement of seeing the plan being fulfilled. That's where I am right now and it feels so good. So 25 for the week and tomorrow I start 3 weeks of 30-mile weeks, beginning with a long run of ten. Things aren't looking rosy for the Saint's half tomorrow. She has been having some back pain the last two days. Spareribs
                                Things aren't looking rosy for the Saint's half tomorrow. She has been having some back pain the last two days. Spareribs
                                So sorry for The Saint. Back pain is pretty annoying -- hopefully it goes away soon.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com