Masters Running

Over 50 is every other day running enough for health (Read 338 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Right now I am only doing 5 miles 3 times a week.

I would like to build up to 7-8 miles every other day with a weekend run a 10 miles.

If I run the same miles does it matter how many days a week I run.

right now I am only interested in health and not racing

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

an amazing likeness

From what I'm understanding of the various (and often conflicting) health and aging studies....more often exercise has more benefits than more intense. Shorter and more frequent (but not more intensity) seems to be a common theme for best impact on aging health (rather than running success).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

agreed,

running 3-4 times a week should keep you in GoodHealth and GoodShape.......

How long have you been Running??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I started running in 1977 I quit for a few years in the 90's

The last few years  i  have only been running 10 miles a week.

I would like to get up to 30 miles a week.

I  have some problems with my right knee so that is why i thought every other day would be better.

..Good Thinking,

also Soft Surfaces would be good too................Think Soccer Field.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have been running off road since august which seems to be helping.

Are you able to mix in some cross-training?  Elliptical or cycling one extra day a week can add fitness, while keeping the stress off the knee.

I'd also suggest, if you are not already doing it, adding in some focused strength work...... particularly core and hips.  That will definitely help the knee, and keep you from getting injured as you ramp up the mileage.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have been lifting weights for a long time about twice a week.

I also walk my dogs out in the woods every evening.

I would like to increase the running for overall health and to lose about 25 pounds

Mike E

MM #5615

After developing Achille's Tendonitis back in 1998 (age 40), I started running every-other day and continued that until about a year ago.  I basically did 10 miles every-other day during the week and alternated speed work and a long run on the weekend....averaging around 40 miles a week.  I ran a few sub 3 hour marathons with that schedule.  Just thought I'd pass that along...

I turned 60 last July and have slowed down considerably the last year or two. I'm also not able to run as many days as I used to. I mix in a lot of cross training and have been lucky. Besides back surgery for a herniated disc my knees, hips and feet have held up fine. (she said knocking on wood!) While I bemoan the fact that it's not as easy as it used to be (and I've also put on a few pounds), I'm still thrilled to be out there. Being in an urban area it's really hard to find running trails with a soft surface close by. I wish I had access to a track but the high schools in this area have the gates locked outside of school hours.

Henrun

I'm way over 50 (78) and tried running just about every day- leading to my present injuries. As I attempt to rehab I'm doing a lot of walking. I'm also in an urban area. Fortunately there are good soft surface reservoir loops nearby. I'm also doing a lot of cross training (cycling,elliptical,swimming) at the gym. Once I'm able to run again I hope to do every other day (if my running addiction can be controlledSmile).

coastwalker

Hi Tom,

You're getting some good advice from these folks. I think, as others have said, that it is important to mix up the intensity of your runs, as much as the frequency and distance that you run. I'm 64, so I've also got a few years on you. And I switched to racewalking in '03 after some foot surgery. Racewalking takes some time to master, but is a lot easier on your joints when you start to get used to it. I try to take Mondays and Fridays as rest days (although I'm not always attentive to my own plan), so I walk no more than 3 days in a row. I mix up my distance and intensity, depending on how I feel and what I did the last time out. I average about 25+ miles/week and over 100 mi./month.. Cross-training is great for improving/maintaining your overall muscular tone and balance. Also be attentive to wearing the right shoes for the way you run and, as Tom said, go on soft surfaces when you can. Henrun is a great example of people who continue to run and stay fit and in great overall health well beyond when other people think they should stop because of their age. He's also an example of the fact that our addiction to running/walking, at any age, can make us subject to overuse injuries!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I'm 66 (67 in March) and run 60ish miles per week.  I run every day barring anything unexpected.  I run fore/midfoot so run in flats.  Without landing on one's heel that force of impact doesn't travel up one's skeletal system.  It prevents knee and back issues.

Tramps

right now I am only interested in health and not racing

To me, this is the key sentence.  My understanding is that there are rapidly diminishing returns to running more than about 20 miles a week.  In other words, if you're doing more than that, you're not doing it for health anymore.  If you have the time, I suspect you'd get more health bang for your buck by supplementing a modest 20-25 mpw running schedule with the other activities others have mentioned...strength work, etc.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I wish we had "Like" buttons on our forums, so I could have clicked for Tramps comment.  First question I ask people is, "What are your objectives in running?"  Tom is pretty clear, so I am with Tramps.  FWIW, I am 66, run 40 mpw and don't like days off either, but I run because I'm competitive and like to race. Daily running is best for me.

But if I were doing it for health, overall fitness, weight loss, etc. I'd be an every other day runner in a minute, give that knee some extra recovery time too.  I'm also in solid agreement with all who suggested core and flexibility work. Over 50 years old, it's imperative I think. We lose flexibility and tone as we age, so my suggestion is you run every other day, and do core and flex work on the off-days. As to the weekly mileage, only you know what you can tolerate, not us. Good luck to you.  Spareribs