Masters Running

Thursday, June 5th Daily (Read 650 times)

Sayhey, it is still Wednesday here, I must admit but it's Thursday on the east coast and you know I am sort of on eastern time as I watched the Sox game on ESPN tonight against Tampa Bay (we won and are in 1st again!) Big grin with the DH in his hospital room as this is the night before open heart surgery Sad. Only under extreme circumstances would I hijack the daily from Vista but I hope y'all will give us a good thought or prayer today. We went to Steamboat Springs this past weekend and I ran the marathon while DH ran the 10K. I finished; he didn't. In fact, he died, but the incredible response of the very special Steamboat folks saved his life. Just before the finish, he collapsed. The race announcer, Rob Powers, cried out to the EMTs, who sprinted in and were administering CPR within seconds. His heart had stopped. They got it going again. Meanwhile, Rob called the ER--happens his wife was the ER attending, so she got notice of what was on the way even before the dispatch call in to her. At the ER, he was stabilized, then airlifted to Ft. Collins. The next day, an angiogram showed significant vessel blockage, even though his heart is normal and strong. By way of background, he'd run a 10K here at the end of April, and then May 4 at Ft. Collins. In addition, he has biked for years, and completed a century ride not too long ago. I haven't noticed any symptoms, and I have heart disease in my family, so I think I would have noticed. (Not to meniton I this very morning cross-examined him [and I'm a public defender] as to whether he'd been hiding symptoms and he swears not.) That is what is so striking. He sees his doctor regularly and his cholesterol is within ok limits, a little high blood pressure, but takes some medication for that and has always checked out well at exams. [Not the right place for a rant on why our health care system is not more preventative, but you have to wonder. DH. said the angiogram was less bothersome than a colonoscopy, so why don't we do those regularly on folks over 50, or at least, over 50 with a family history?] He is scheduled for bypass surgery tomorrow. We are actually very grateful about the unfolding of events. He has a family history (his mom, who is 85, had a bypass some time ago) and in his youth, smoked and ate a lot of pizza, etc. While he's been following a healthier lifestyle for a while, 'the damage was done,' I guess is a cliche that works here. Given the silent nature of this disease, it is entirely possible DH could have collapsed while out on our bike path a training run with no one around, while biking down Spearfish Canyon, or shoveling snow. While the stress of the race, and the altitude might have combined to force the issue at Steamboat, all we can say is "Thank God." In our view, running saved his life. I am so sorry for the extra work we caused the staff and volunteers, but I hope and trust they will share in our view that they very clearly saved a life. If this had not happened as it did, at a race with such a committed and talented core of people around to respond, DH might well have collapsed and died somewhere in the immediate future. I believe, and he does too, that is quite possibly what would have happened. Truly, we are at a loss in trying to think of how to convey to the race officials and the town people (every single person we encountered unfailingly gave of themselves to help us) how deeply we are indebted to them. His surgeon has completed the Hawaii Ironman a few times, and the Tevis Endurance race (Western States for horsemen) and promises DH will be jogging in 6 weeks and running better than before in a matter of months. Thanks for reading, and for any goodwill, karma, or prayers you can send our way. Most appreciatively, A
    Masters 2000 miles
    evanflein

Oh, Aamos, that's one helluva way to start a daily! I do hope he'll be ok... sounds like he's in good hands. I've often thought of that though... what if something happened like that to any of us? From an accident to a heart attack... I run many places where simply "Road ID" wouldn't be enough... Someone has to stumble across you first!! Prayers and best wishes for a successful outcome, and hope he'll be back out there real soon!

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Aamos! Way to see the glass as half-full, but I totally agree with you - it could hardly have happened at a better place, with all those trained medical people on hand. This serves as a reminder that just because we think we are healthy doesn't mean we don't need to take precautions. Sending prayers for your DH (and for you) with hopes for a speedy recovery.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holy crap Aamos! Quick intervention is key, so DH's timing was key to his survival. Being a runner he is in great shape so he will tolerate the surgery well and recover quickly. Good luck to you both. Fran p.s. From a First Responders point of view, the best thing he could do is seek out his caregivers and shake their hands...that would be all the thanks they'd need! flkjr
            {{{{Aamos}}}} Prayers for you and DH are happening now and will continue. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Aamos am very impressed with your attitude and very happy to hear that in the end everything will work out well. A friend of mine was saved from a brain tumor by skiing (long story) and is now one of the few long term survivors in the world from that type of cancer. Just goes to show you that physical sports can do more than keep you healthy. With a bit of luck they can actually bring out problems in time to save your life. Aamos, best of luck to you and your DH

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Most definitely this needs to be placed in our thoughts and prayers today. We are praying for YOU Aamos and for your DH. About the only better place to have had your DH collapse would have been at the entrance to a hospital and even then, they might have wanted to try to process the paperwork first. Thank you for giving us this story in detail as it is a great reminder to all of us to be checked for all areas of medical fitness. I am a firm believer that our lives are in the hands of God. None of us will exit this life any sooner than the time of Divine appointment. Obviously this was not your DH's time yet. Again, our thoughts and prayers will be with all concerned during this medical procedure that once was considered more dangerous but that is done routinely today. Have a great day everyone. There are many of you busy in your lives today with new jobs (Yeah! Wildchild), soccer trips (Erika), graduation (deez4boys), PT (Dave59), parades/funerals/graduations/good byes (Mariposai), camping (Eliz), travel (CNYrunner) and of course wife/nurse (Aamos). Wherever your feet may take you today .........be safe.......enjoy the experience.....search for what your purpose for today is in that experience. Joey
                Vista
                  WOW...Aamos, I didn't take a breath while I was reading until I got to the last portion of your post. I am sending you and DH strength and support and huge hugs. You have an amazing perspective and I am looking forward to the post-surgery post that says he came through with success. You've got my prayers and as many good thoughts as you need. The reminders that life seems balanced on the head of a pin are everywhere and this is yet another powerful example. We've got your back Aamos Karin P.S. 10 miles of running for me this AM in Boone, NC...my miles for the rest of the week will be for Aamos and her DH
                    wow Aamos - you and your DH will be in my prayers today -- and yes - another reason to give thanks for a well organized race with well trained volunteers - He definitely works in amazing ways!! ((aamos and dh))

denise

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

{{{Aamos}}} That was as scary as it gets! A very lucky day for your DH. All the instant response.. lucky, lucky.. 4 magical healing miles with Tory in 40:12 (10:03 pace). Drippy 73F, 90% humidity... just the way we like it Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I'll be thinking of you Aamos & your DH. Hope the surgery goes smoothly. Hugs and good vibes coming your way!

King of PhotoShop

I will be with you both all day today. All the best Amy. Spareribs
                            Amy- These days cardiac surgery is better than ever and you are so right that he is a very lucky man...my thoughts will be with you both today-{{aamos and DH}} if you have questions that I can help with, please let me know Dale *(I've done over a thousand angiograms and despite the fact it might seem like the disease is very predictable, it is not always so. Doing invasive procedures is frought with risk, so there are many other ways to assess risk-ie stress tests etc...So, doing cardiac caths on everyone over 50 is simply not the way to go. Checking in with your doctor periodically is-especially if you do have risk factors for CAD or new/worrisome symptoms like exercise induced chest discomfort or significant breathlessness.)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You are in my thoughts and prayers today Amy and Husband. Sounds like he is in good hands. {{{hugs}}} Wildchild - congratulations on your new job!! Tomorrow is my rest day. We keep getting threats of stormy weather but so far nothing. It is awfully humid though. Neighbor overslept I guess, so it was just 3 easy miles with Brinkley this morning. One cat scared the crap out of me - one bunny darted across the road - and it was very foggy (spooky). Went out to let Hailey out this morning to find that Leroy had escaped his box and was bugging her. This is the week that they turn into little monsters. Happy Thoisday!! Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Aamos, Wow. I'm so sorry you both had to encounter this, but so thrilled by your attitude. What an uplifting story you wrote to start the daily -- thank you! I will be hoping and praying for a super-smooth transition back to normal for you and your husband in the coming weeks.
                                About the only better place to have had your DH collapse would have been at the entrance to a hospital and even then, they might have wanted to try to process the paperwork first.
                                Vista, I spit my coffee out on this one. Wink No running for me until tonight. Between storms, I hope to get in another tree. Two in, one to go. It wouldn't take so long, 'cept I have to keep hauling away all the sand I dig out and man, wet sand is HEAVY! Good runs to all today. I'll be runnig mine thinking of Mr Aamos.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!