Masters Running

Newbies or is it rehab thread.... (Read 521 times)

Rindaroo

Hey all -

New thread, isn't it about time?

I called the doc & they say they are waiting on approval for the MRI from insurance.... oy!  so I'm in waiting mode.

I did my yoga DVD last night & that felt good, am still walking...  think maybe I'll work on muscles for a bit. 

dg.

yep.  new thread time.    thanks Linda!

How long do you think it will take?   So frustrating.   I'm glad the yoga & walking are ok...  TM or the hills?   are your bronchials still ok?

there are things i wanted to catch up on the other thread, hope to do that soon.  

I'm doing ok.   this is a cutback week & I was ready for it.        next week, eek.   am learning that even if you've been doing better for a while it pays to keep paying attention! 

I hope you're all doing ok.   Frances, owies better?   Mike, are stuck in a kayak? 

better get busy.   cleaning house.  it's cold here today!

Deb, what does that mean?

Linda, ditto. Hows the breathing? Inquiring minds want to know. Isnt it weird the way we take something as breathing for granted until we dont have it anymore?!

MIke, just facebooked me saying he did 11 today. Whew. I was starting to worry he was stuck at 4. Mike you will do just fine. Rock on!

I did about 8 miles today...well 8 miles on the Deerfield river. lol. I think I am stuck in the kayak. Two long trips last weekend. One this weekend. I think I need a kayak  break. My equilibrium is off and I still feel like I am on a boat when really I am sitting on the couch.

Met up with my tri friends on Wed. We swam across the lake and joked about police waiting for us on the other side because we were in a no swim area. Sure enough they were waiting for us on the boat launch with hands on hips. Boy was he pissed. Told one woman to 'get in your car immediately'. Lol. I feel like a criminal for swimming outside the ropes.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.  Guess it’s been a while.  realized yesterday that not only have I not run a whole lot, I hadn’t even downloaded last Sunday’s run.  Not that it was really worthwhile, but every mile is precious to me.  This morning I hoped to go a little longer than just my normal 3, but at 6:30 it was 77º and 94% humidity.  Once again 3 miles.  I lost 3 lbs in that short time.  We’ve had the first heat wave of the summer this week, but t-storms coming through over the next couple days, so hope it’s just a bit less humid on Sunday.

Didn’t run on Tuesday because I had a golf/training seminar outing.  Lot more golf than seminar.  It was in the mid-90’s.  Even with a cart, the way I play golf, I got a lot of walking in.  Drank 3 Gatorades and 3 waters and didn’t have to take a walk in the woods for any reason other than to look for lost balls until late in the afternoon.

Also had fun on Sunday trying to take advantage of the “cash for clunkers” rebate with our 1993 Caravan (the last new car we bought)  Drove a Yaris that was the dealer’s weekend special and loved it.  I drive 100 miles each day and my outback (which I love) only gets 25MPG so seemed like a good time to get a high mileage car.  We started on the C for C paperwork, and my salesman came back and told me that someone had called in a down payment on the car WHILE we were driving it and it was no longer available.  They then offered one a year older with 3000 miles for $3000 MORE than the one on special.  WTF?   once again.  Now I know what I’ve missed not buying a new car for the last 16 years.  to make a long story at least a little shorter, I found another Yaris at a different dealer, negotiated a reasonable price and completed all the paperwork within an hour.  Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for the government paperwork to clear.

Laurie--less than 2 weeks to go.  Hope it works and you can get back on the road again for good this time.

Linda--insurance is a joy, but good to have, I guess.   Seems like most everything else is going well?

Deb--sorry you missed out on the Crim today.  Or did I misread that and you didn't go to just visit?  be kind to your hammies if they're yelling at you.  I've forgotten what cold is.

Mike--hope the kayaking is going well.  that, and the 4 milers.

Hi to all--have a good Sunday.  Hope you all have good runs and good weeks.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

Hey all -

Debbie - most important time is when you're feeling good (to pay attention that is).  It is always the most dangerous time for me.   Breathing is good Smile  Have no idea how long the wait is...  doc said they are just waiting to hear from insurance.

Laurie - to repeat, breathing is good!  The diaphragm is actually working...  and I think that was the part holding me up.

Kevin - insurance... oy! well, it was really good to have for the surgery, hospital stay.  But MRI's are another whole story!!  Its really hot here too.. but a dry heat.  Its been 100's this week, I think yesterday was only the 90's though.

So, I put a brace on my foot/ankle yesterday & did 2 loops.  I ran a little/walked mostly on both loops.  The breathing was amazing Smile  Ankle was just fine with the brace now that the sinus tarsi is calmed down.  Alignment is an issue though, so need to be working my muscles. 

CYL!

lswife

Very cool weather at night, lingering in the morning a bit = now I can run through our neighborhood.

The TM is easier for me, but running outside is necessary to get ready for 5Ks. This morning - first run outside in a few weeks. I ran/walked until I was dying, quit, but satisfied with my effort. According to the weather reports, this cool weather will be with us for a while, so I hope to get daily runs in until Labor Day. Hope also to improve each day.

I'm slug-slow but faster than I would ever be if I stayed on the couch. Health issues are improving slowly (diabetes, blood pressure), and the drs happily encourage me to get out there and run!  "Thigh ache" has disappeared : ) 

lswife

Yeah, "rehab thread" is right. Running on the asphalt roads in our neighborhood really aggravated my left hip pain, something that has been hurting lately. Today I went back to cushioned TM and went farther and with no pain.

Lowest of all lows. Leg feels like someone cut it from my hip to the back of my knee. Just got the worst haircut of my life and my friend canceled tomorrows lunch date. Oh and I broke up with the kayaker last week.

bwaaa

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Beginner all over again

Linda - Yay, a new thread. I like it. Looks nice !  Yoga sounds nice.  I'm afraid to torque myself incorrectly so I haven't ventured to Yoga quite yet.  That's just me. I'm not very coordinated *wink  Oh are you walking now?  Progress! I'm glad for you

Dg -- glad you enjoyed the cutback week.  I always seem ready for mine too when they come due.  Must to something to that training concept after all, eh?   Yes, I had a week off and then ran every 3 days for the first 2 runs back , or something like that. I'm not looking at my log. Feel free to click on my log there.   But yes, everything feels great.  Not sure what it was, but with my job overtime I couldn't have run anyway. So I'll consider that my cutback week and  do my Next Cutback Sept 21st.

Laurie - I am so impressed with the kayak.   Yeah…!....I've heard about youse guys, you Criminal Swimmers…what's t he world coming to….*wink……….oh just read you are having a horrible day!  Just like Alexander http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Terrible-Horrible-Good-Very/dp/0689711735  Hope your next day is better!

Kevin…..yikes with the Yaris thing. I hope it works out for you.  I almost bought a Yaris  a while back.  Are you plan on running a bit more now?  Maybe October when all the heatwave breaks for everyone (!)

Lswife - glad to hear you are really giving it a go on the Outdoor running.  You can't be any slug-slow'er than I am.  Glad the "ache" is gone. I hate it when those happen.  Come to think of it, before my recent (do I have an Owie??) scenario, I started getting on pavement. I wonder whether that was it.  I had 100% always run on grass and dirt before.  Somehow I averaged a 17:30 pace today, whatever that was about! 

And hello to Everyone Else I'll try to come back soon and address ya'll personally.

Heal well all !

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I'm not injured, but it's been such a hectic week with family and my out-of-state visitor that I haven't run all week!!  Yikes.  Tomorrow will hurt.  Oh, well, a break now and then is probably a good thing, right??

Laurie, sorry about your rough day.  Is today going better?  I hope so!

Kevin, I'm glad the car transaction worked out for you!  You're the only person I know to have done that. 

Linda, that's great your breathing went so well!  Good luck!

Beginner all over again

it's been such a hectic week with family and my out-of-state visitor that I haven't run all week!!  Yikes.  Tomorrow will hurt.  Oh, well, a break now and then is probably a good thing, right??

Hi Teresa, I hope your run goes well tomorrow. I thought my first run after a week was going to be quite difficult, but I felt good actually......all that good Rest Time I suppose.

Hi, all,

Laying low in terms of the internet this week to really make the last week of summer more like vacation, but hurricane Danny is messing with my plans at the moment. 

Ran yesterday.  It was the first time since Sunday that I had anything other than flip flops on  my feet and I paid for it dearly! 

Back to schoolwork . . . . at least until it stops raining.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Laurie--sorry to hear that things have a high suckage factor at the moment.  a couple of weeks and you won;t notice the haircut (I hope).  I guess the kayak giveth and the kayak taketh away.  I figure that's why we haven't heard from Mike in a while.    Particularly sorry to hear about the leg.  hope you didn't sneak in a run too soon and that it feels better soon.

Teresa--just spent the night up at the lake to fix a shower probelm before people arrive for Labor day.  on my way to pick up coffee in Gray this morning, I saw a truck with the plates "CVL ENGR" and thought of you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cool, Kevin, I wonder who it was??

Frances, you were right - I had a good run.  One hill that usually bugs me didn't seem bad at all.  I need about 19 more miles to make 100 for the month, so I need to get busy!

THeresa, what the heck? A swam. I am ready your posts thinking 'who the heck is this swan person?'. Then I realized it was you. You threw me for a loop. Well swan theresa I am glad you got a good run in. Maybe the week family break helped.

Hi Linda, so good to hear you can breathe! Hows the foot?

Kevin, yep the kayak club is a roller coaster ride! Kayaker 2 steps into the picture out of the blue and starts chatting with me online. Maybe I should give up the sport. Now thats a good idea. Quit kayaking and become a runner.

If you guys have facebook then you can keep up with Mike. He seems hunky dory.

Eliz, back to school already? Ugh.

Leg is bad again. Pain wrapped around my right hip now. I dont even know what I did to aggrivate it.

Laurie