Masters Running

Sunday 11/21/21 (Read 42 times)

Good morning folks!  I'm not going to attempt a recap on 5+ pages of posts yesterday, but a HUGE congratulations to bioguy on finishing his race in an amazing time.  And I'm hoping he doesn't need the stuff in Steve's post a whole lot this morning.

Tet - I can't believe (well, maybe I can) that someone would be so idiotic to park you in like that.  Maybe call a cop so he could watch you "ram" your way out and plea self defense?

BTY - there should be more people like you in the world.  Thanks for helping your neighbor out.

Mike - UWGB sure needs your DGD to take off that "red shirt" and help their team.  They're not off to a very good start!

It's so nice to see Twocat popping in every now and then.  Now we just need Tom back, Mariposai and a few others that have left us.

I walked 2 miles this morning.  Feeling a little sore after spending the day yesterday up and down ladders stringing Christmas lights and hauling stuff up from the basement to put a few holiday things up for everyone coming over on Thanksgiving.

Have a great Sunday people - can't wait to see bio's recap!

Dave59

Thanks for the start Jlynne.

Congratulations Bioguy. Who knew that watching a blinking blue dot on a 3 inch screen could be so interesting?

Woke up early and did a little 2.17 mile jog/walk. Less than 20 miles to go in the fall challenge. The plan is to finish it up in the next few days. Well before the 12/21 ending.

I worked most of yesterday but I got enough done that I can relax today. Church, football, and hockey on the schedule,

That was really a pretty good recap, Jeanne.  Thanks.  Tet- I agree that was a ridiculous parking situation!

Congrats again, Bio/Joe!  Tremendous accomplishment and now you can enjoy the holidays with that behind you!     Yeah, Steve- a kid or a dog?  BTY- agree that you have a really good heart.

A guy in our local running group ran his first marathon yesterday in 3:45 here in Nashville and his Garmin said it was "unproductive."  Makes you want to smash the thing.

Got out in the gloom and wind this morning for 4.3 miles.  RA tells me that I only need .2 miles a day to reach my goal of 2021 miles for this year.  I think I'll make it.

Have to file my unemployment certification thing.  Still haven't been approved or gotten any $$$$, but I suspect it takes forever like everything else with the government.

Have a greta Sunday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

10:40AM and no RR from bioguy yet? We're going to have to have a discussion with him about priorities...

Tet, when I was working over in Italy I saw a better approach to a really tight parking place. Someone driving something small like a Fiat 500 "Cinquecento" would pull in front-first with the front wheels up on the sidewalk and the rear end slightly sticking out into the driving lane. Seemed to work for them. Parking was always a challenge and I made sure to keep away from areas where people were double-parked since I didn't know the rules. One thing I observed is that they would leave the double-parked car unlocked, so if someone came out and was blocked in, they could open the door, release the brake, and push the car forward or back far enough to get out!

We're just having our usual foursome here for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I remember last year when we did a delivery/carry-out dinner for my DS and MIL. Anyone else having a small or large crowd at their place?

Nothing scheduled for today other than an afternoon walk with DW assuming the weather permits (cold is OK, rain is not!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dnaff

Doug, I agree.  Where is that race report?  Is he resting or something? 

4 for Thanksgiving at our house too.  My husband and I, one daughter, and my sister.  If the whole family comes, the number only rises to 6

Karen, great job on your 2021 goal!  And Jay, from a couple days ago -I sure enjoyed your Seacoast youtube.

We had takeout Mexican food last night and I am slow to recover this moring.  I don't think food poisoning - just a weird combination of things that didn't sit well.  Coffee didn't even sound good whan I got up so I knew things still weren't right.

I thinkg a shower and a dog walk will give me the nudge I need to get this Sunday started though.

Henrun

Belated congratulations to Bio.

dnaff-I had Cuban food and a large beer for lunch yesterday and I had the same result as you.. However, after some delay I got out for 2.5 miles (the fastest run I’ve had in a while).

Went to museum yesterday for an interesting exhibit on Frida Kahlo This afternoon we’re heading to another university museum to see the work of a Cuban artist.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bio - unless, of course, you are busy at school on another Sunday getting ready for the Monday classes or something, have a great day trying not to fall asleep at church, resting up at home watching the football games or something and getting treated like a king by an appreciative DW for your accomplishing something most people who haven’t done it can’t even imagine and, in fact, some of us who once were able to do it, can’t even image we could anymore.

BTY - after the 30th ‘versary pictures, I bet your T’giving feast one'll be pretty nice too. When do you start preparing?
                ps - almost as much exercise as splitting wood that I loved to do too, when I lived where it snowed in the winter, after I shoveled our sidewalk that I loved to do, I had a list of neighbor friends’ I got to do too and would proudly carry my shovel highly visible on my shoulder for anyone elses’ place in case they were too busy, out-of-town, etc. Their appreciation was all the reward I needed, . . . lots of cookies, too.

Now that I’ve got the car of my PR parking predicament, drove over to the island’s only park with any waterfrontage along the island's 17-mile perimeter for a couple of misty circuits.

ps roch - neat about Italian parking.

Did your Italy overlap in either place

or time with Falcon?

Were you cycling then?

Do your indoor route options include Italy?

ps jeanne - in the interests of full disclosure, as I realized being unable to extricate the car from being jammed in between two cars both touching my bumpers so I couldn’t get out for three days was inconveniencing DW more than I thought, I kind of changed my story from getting blamed by an otherwise unbelievably tightest parallel parking PR I never could have imagined to getting boxed in, instead. whew.  I wish I could run as well as I can park.

ps Tom - are you okay?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Mike - UWGB sure needs your DGD to take off that "red shirt" and help their team.  They're not off to a very good start!

I know.  I'm not sure how I feel about the red shirting thing.  I guess we're all trusting the coach knows what's best for her and the team.  But, after watching her play every year since she was in 3rd grade, it's hard seeing her just sit on the bench.

It is really windy here!  I might just have to break down and run on the treadmill.  That way, I can watch the Vikings-Packers game... hmm... dealing with 25 mph winds might be less painful.

Okay--gotta go do something.  See ya!

ps roch - neat about Italian parking.

Did your Italy overlap in either place

or time with Falcon?

Were you cycling then?

Do your indoor route options include Italy?

I doubt if we overlapped since this was in the 1990s. I was mostly in Torino (Turin), working on a project for Comau, a robotics subsidiary of Fiat. I wasn't into cycling but definitely was running. Although my schedule didn't give me much time for it, I do recall a couple of runs (maybe on a weekend) along the narrow neighborhood streets where I was staying in a residence hotel in the vicinity of the Fiat Mirafiori factory. I also spent a little time in Milan, working for an aerospace company called Tecnospazio. Some of my work ended up being part of an experiment performed by a Russion Cosmonaut on the old Soyuz space station!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Morning, Folks -

BTY - I think that's a great ministry to start.  The church we used to attend does a road clean up every year on the road where the church is and will sometimes do minor work in folks' yards, if need be.

Tet got himself into the parking trouble. 

I awoke to Chico going crazy meowing for whatever reason, and as soon as I said his name, he got even more talkative.  He's funny that way when he wakes up from a nap.

The Ducks game last night - .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

OOPS!

Ran 12K instead of the 16K on my 50K plan.

It's okay though, because I'm definitely into new territory running 5 days a week. Normally I have lots of gas in the tank and speed up on the last Kilometre or so, but not today. The extra days of running and doing 8K yesterday at a moderate pace had me pushing a bit to keep the slow pace I set for today in the last Kilometre.

Dipping my toes into a whole new world!!!!

Anybody wake bioguy up yet?

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jlynne.

Fun to goof around here yesterday cheering on bioguy's first 50. Reminded me of early days when a number of folks--myself included--were doing their first marathons.

Roch--interesting that you prefer the simulated rides. (I suppose you'll love the metaverse. ). I can see the appeal but for me a big part of run/walk/ride is getting out for the fresh air. I just like being outside.

tet--I get to see your Kraken tonight finally. (Or at least a period or two; doubt I'll stay up for the whole game.) I understand the former Caps goalie, Grubauer, has been a big disappointment for you so far.  I bet he has a better game against his old comrades.  Meanwhile, this is the fifth game (in five different cities) in seven days for the Caps, so I suspect they're running out of gas. Opportunity for your guys.

Pretty gray and gloomy here today.  I think that contributed to my "meh" feeling about today's ride.  Too cold to ride first thing this morning, so I waited until it warmed up and did 19 miles. It was okay but I just never quite got into it, if you know what I mean.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

It was fun reading about all you guys following a little blue dot yesterday.  I particularly liked Mike's wife's comment. Glad to hear BioGuy finished!  That's just amazing.

Yes I haven't been around in ages. I haven't been running so there you go.  Started back up a week ago.  As in, I did one 3.2 mile run/walk last week and a 4.0 mile run/walk this week slightly faster, so easy to improve when you are starting from scratch.  Nothing really hurts except some arthritic big toes I guess.

I'll be in Italy for a vacation last week of January, and thought it would be cool to be able to run there.  So 2 months to get fit for that.  Naples, Rome, not sure where else.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Jlynne - thx for the start

bioguy - congrats on awesome run.  And yes tramps it was reminiscent of days gone by

power walked 6 this morning - 3 of which I would actually call race pace.  GS started hockey & it was streamed but we opted for art museum instead.

doing turkey day with DD and family, so there will be 6 of us.  Last year we did a pre-thanksgiving dinner with DS because GD2 was starting school(ending zoom)  and we wouldn’t see her inside for 3 months.  We couldn’t see DD because she was in a different state.  Yes there is progress

SteveP

Enkephalin!  You just made my day!

SteveP