Masters Running

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - who's running and not today? (Read 31 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm not.

Taper day after running for seven consecutive days for the second time
    in my life since I did it once just to do it in 1985.   Believe me, in light

of my skimpy running regimes, it was a big deal then,

and still is, so I remember it well.
    Rosie - I hereby vow to do my very best to start running from your operation day this Friday at least a little everyday until you can run again.  I’ve always been amazed at perchcreek, spareribs and others who run every day, rain or shine (sorry twocat) so this will be my chance for a mini version. It’s the least I can do for all the inspiration you’ve all been to me over the years in running so many times when I otherwise would not have.
    ps re stationary cycling in the gym - since most still seem to think that cadences for both cyclists and runners provide maximum efficiencies at 90 rpms/90-strides-per-minute, respectively, maybe get a earphone metronome to try to get used to replicating a good running cadence on the bike. I was learning Chinese when I was using one in IM cycling days and now, whenever I’m lagging in races, starting to count in Chinese automatically restores a more competitive pace.  Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Taper boy ran 7 days in the row. Wow... we need a dancing bananas for him.

RCG, good luck with the surgery. Hugs to your sisstahh.

Aamos, good luck with the diagnosis. An congrats to your DH for his many biking miles.

Enkephalin, how did the interview go yesterday? I was thinking and praying for a successful interview for you.

Spacityrunner, howdie. Great to see you posting here.

Hallar, howdie to you too. It is so good to see you posting again.

Ohh, I miss Rtravers, star, jlynne, spareribs Smile

5 miles for my wings today with my new runningn partner and her doggie. It was a great run.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Great discussion yesterday about injuries.  Amy - I'm with MIke - when you know the answer to that, let me know!  Rose - if you are getting surgery in your hip, what is the pain in your feet caused by?  Good luck, btw, and I will send prayers for quick healing for you.

The sports med doc, Dr. Sinha (awesome lady!) told me that my inner knee pain is still hamstring, and while I have been working my calves with the PT, said I need to work my hamstring more, and gave me stretches to add to my repertoire of PT stuff.  She said I can ride the stationary bike (yay - finally some decent cross training options) and that she thought this hamstring issue will likely resolve pretty quickly, maybe in a week or so.  That would be nice, but I don't know.  I literally cannot run without a serious limp right now.  Also, she said my back pain was from my SI joing, and gave me some stretches for that, too.  I don't know what I did over the weekend to cause the back pain, but it is getting better each day, and I think will be gone soon.

See the PT guy this afternoon.

30 minutes on the bike trainer today, followed by PT exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

enkephalin enquiring minds want to know how the interview went! Post already!

tetsujin209 I am checking the book of prophecies now.  I seem to recall some major event or another foretold by someone running many days in a row who never runs many days in a row . . . I hope it is a good prophecy although I suspect if it includes running in the rain then it might not be . . .

Mariposai dog running! What fun. I hope you two did not tucker the doggie out too much. Does her dog write like Avenger Doggie does?

I ran 8 miles this morning with my old training partner. I am going to have to change her to just "my training" partner since this now seems to be a weekly scheduled run. I also need to adjust my schedule. At first she was like no more than 5 or 6 miles. As she has not been running. Then last week she picked the route and it turned out to be 7 miles. This week again, she picked the route and it ended up being 8 miles. After which she said she would go kayaking for a short time.  Okay, I get it. The "no more than 6 miles" thing was a ruse. The question is at what mileage does she stop? Now this is a woman that would regularly place in the top 3 in her AG at marathons with 10k+ entrants.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hang on and enjoy the ride, TC. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

enke, it was great you had a good weekend with the kids at the cabin.  RCG, wishing you the best on your surgery.  Aamos, that calf issue clearing up during a marathon seems strange but it's hard to argue with success.  Holly, it sounds like you've got a good doctore.  enke, good luck with the job interview.

This morning, it was about 70°, humid, and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:22 pace.

There is some progress in the kids situation.  The insurance company has put them up in a motel and they are in contact with an adjuster.  There was apparently more damage in the Lansing area than I was aware of.  Their adjuster was flown in from Louisiana and 5 more adjusters were flown in to deal with the claims.  The kid's adjuster said he had 35 cases to resolve.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

For enke and Barb:

Image result for good luck

TomS, I totally agree.  Ran a 10K this am before work, took it easy but no twinges or anything even resembling a peep from my calf.  And I for true felt something after mile 1 in the marathon; enough to shut down running for walking.

I had been walking and not running since July 5, wearing a compression sock, etc.  I'm really curious because if not for the marathon, I think I'd still be nursing the calf (that's if you buy into the hypothesis that all the up and downhill walking in the marathon succeeded in stretching out the issue in the calf.)

And in November, 2014, I DID run through a twinge in my ankle and blew it out such that I ended up on crutches for a few days following.  That was the same injury Stumpy had, or very similar. ( ---> and what he said to you, TC! Wink

'tis a puzzlement.  hoping everyone's injuries magically clear up and surgery goes well.......maybe Barb and Holly can work up a bike routine they can premier in Cincy??

Mari, glad to see you survived the audit.  Hope you are not working so hard/much.

The Tuesday Night Party was a good one last night!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

7 days of running in a row for Tet? What the hell is going on here -  Did Tet's account get hacked?!

No run yesterday, but will run today after work. maybe a track workout.

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thank you, Tetsujin!  Today. When I rode the bike to nowhere.  I kept it on RPM rather than mileage or speed!  Much more enjoyable ride. I kept the RPM between 90-96 for an hour and got 17.67 miles.  Woo hoo!  It felt good to get my heartrate up. Today's musical station was REO Speedwagon.  I think I might be pushing my luck at the rec center though... As I lip synced through that song by The Knack.  Hopefully there were no lip-reading patrons watching me freak out on the bike.  If you know The Knack song to which I am referring, you might realize the lyrics could be R rated...

Holly. Exactly!  Nobody is listening to me regarding my fascist feet BUTT.  I actually could run when only the feet hurt. It is when what I thought was piriformis syndrome started flaring... When my Right Butt complained... I could not run. The pain was searing.

It is not exactly and only in the Right Butt. If you make an upper case C with your hand and grab your hip anteriorly and posteriorly.  That is where the pain is. Dr. 10th Grader asked where the pain was and when I showed him he nodded, "Yes. That Classic C sign."

SO. I do not know if the feet and the hip are two separate issues. I am concerned that we are fixing something just because it is broken and it might not be the only intervention necessary to get me back in my sneakers and on the streets of this town. What we know is that the labrum is torn and fixing it might be helpful.

Aamos. I worked in labor and delivery and taught Lamaze for 15 years. I have seen many expectant mothers get loads of horror stories from their sisters, friends, co-workers, etc.  My advice to the pregnant lady is, "Don't have your sister's baby". Meaning everyone has their own labor stories. Don't fear someone else's story. You will write your own when the time comes.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

I went for an easy 5.6 mile trail run in the state park, for all of you on the DL today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

The interview went well, I believe they are going to arrange a second interview and they are not really interviewing anyone else.  Here is a plus (possibly the only plus), it only took me 19 minutes by car to get there - pretty close!

Ok, another plus - the office is right beside, and I do mean right beside a very long, flat trail along a river.  It would be spectacular for lunch time runs.

BUT, there are a long list of negatives.  I read some reviews on the internet - funny how everything is out there!  The reviews were generally quite negative, and the points mentioned did seem to be the case in person.

It's a small 15 person family run business.  There is not much room for growth, they don't want to expand the company, the wife and son of the head honcho work there. The wife is the HR person I talked to.  She was fine.  It was a pretty casual interview.

Another negative - everyone is stuffed away in windowless (on the door) rooms.  It's not an open, communicative place.

Another negative - no health insurance benefits, in fact, no benefits at all.

Another negative - slightly below industry standard pay scale.  I get the reason for that, but come on, at least provide a health insurance stipend then!

I didn't think I could possibly make less than my last job, but I think this one will be if I have to buy Obamacare and have no 401K matching.

So I am not particularly thrilled, but if nothing else comes along, I will have to take it.

In good news though, I have a telephone screen interview next week with a large international company, about 12,000 employees.  They would offer 3 to 6 months training in lieu of (not sure what the deal is....your first born?), in lieu of something.  I would love to get that job - great pay, great benefits, however, there is a heavy travel component.  Not sure how I would swing that with two minors and a dog at home.  I need to find out exactly how much travel.....  But it would be amazing training and definitely lead to better and better positions in a fairly fast manner.

Ok, Back to running!

Good wishes for those still figuring out their injuries.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  Where's Jay?!

Good luck with the job hunt, Enke.  I really hope you land that job with the bigger company.  Although, just because you have to take the other one, doesn't mean you have to stop looking.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Like Mike said, Enke, you can always keep looking while working at something ideal.  Hey MIKE!  This is good advice - take it!

Rose - my PT commented on the fact that so many runners don't pay attention to their hips, and many of us have weak hips, which can cause so many other imbalances.  Also, that your hips are the primary in balancing.  My balance is way worse on my left foot, and he says that is because I am very weak in my left hip, which is the likely cause in my calf strain.

Reminds me of:

The toe bone connected to the heel bone,
                            The heel bone connected to the foot bone, 
                            The foot bone connected to the leg bone,
                            The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
                            The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
                            The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
                            The back bone connected to the neck bone,
                            The neck bone connected to the head bone,
                            Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Enke,

ah yes I have had many interviews and job offers over the last few years and I am still looking for just the right fit but in the mean time ya gotta eat. Take whatever is offered first and realize there is no loyalty required by you for the job. Continue to move upward and onward. Good luck and know that I feel your pain.

RCG,

i am amazed at your bike to nowhere rides! I  went for a ten mile ride recently with a friend and thought I would die trying to keep up a 14 mph pace. Running fitness doesn't seem to cross over to biking fitness for me. 🤔

5 slow tonight. First two not so bad but the last 3 where tuff. Between the dead legs and the 90 degrees it just wasn't going to be anything special so I took what was left of me and am happy with that. That's my new mantra take what is given to me and just be happy to be out there again. It's to late to qualify for the olympics anyway.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Yes, I would take it and continue to look for something better.  The company gets what they give, high turnover for paying people lowly.

I went out for a 3 mile run, but at 2 miles packed it in.  My gut was hurting...I think stress-related.  Feel better now though that I got a bit of exercise.  My knee was fine, which is always a nice surprise.

Saturday Mr. Blue Eyes does his 200 mile bike ride.  I will be picking him up at the finish area, hopefully not literally picking him up!    I don't know how he does it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."