Masters Running

Friday 1/25/19 (Read 39 times)

SteveP

HollyS has an ambitious 8 on the treadmill after kicking DH to the curb pro tempore. Having "Me Time" is the biggest reason I get up as early as I do.

JLynne calls out Coastwalker for being MIA. She's upping her performance on the elliptical and the high stepper.

Joe618 has a dry 7.3 with a little star gazing cross training.

RunnerKSA gets a nice 5.3 in the sunshine state. Life is a beach.

AnneB ponders a rest day.

Fatozzig is ramping up the PT and recovery workouts as well as work. Your 13 min walk is heartwarming.

Not to be outdone, TwoCat is going to lean on his physical therapist to boost his workouts. He rides for 40 minutes and gets a green light!! YaHoo!!!!

Steve--a mile and a half of snow blowing sounds like a lot. (Does it have an odometer?)

The benefits of wearable tech. Though the driveway looked fine to me, I could see on the satellite recap that I missed a spot.

Rochrunner cross trains as a librarian after planing an ear worm.

Deez4boyz is recovering from crossfit. I hope it's a very temporary tweak.

Wildchild explains her household traveling strategy. I was wondering how Ladybug and Tazzie were doing.

Evanflein gets out for a cool 5.6.

Falconfixer boasts an easy 6 miler.

MikeE celebrates 6 miles on the love/hate treadmill.

Spacityrunner enjoys a day of exploring.

Tetsujin209 gets 1.75 counting stairs miles.

I got 2.5 miles on the hamster wheel  treadmill before work. I got out of work on time for a Thursday. I got dinner going and then took Tag out to a washboard road where there's extremely light traffic all year. We parked at the bottom of the hill and ran up. At first I was wondering if I could run an entire mile as the effort was taxing. It wasn't long for the effort seemed pleasant. Like Erika said, the temps were not cold enough to allow sure footing and the snow made the road appear more even than it was. I stayed next to our tire tracks. Running on them was too slippery.  After 2.5 miles, we turned around and that was just fine. Five total.

SteveP

Joe618

Steve, and all to come, good morning!

I'm impressed with how you get good trail runs in, Steve, despite the hectic work schedule.

Mike, I'm with you, wondering how I'll get the Something Of Substance runs in over the next week.    It was Zero Degrees here this morning and I got in 4.1 miles on the treadmill before work.   But next Tuesday's interval workout and next Thursday's tempo runs are aligned with forecasted lows of -4F and -21F, respectively.     I'm toying with looking at time on the treadmill, vs distance, for the interval workout (I don't have huge confidence in the mileage meter on this 'mill").   Likely similar for the tempo run but that's harder than 800m intervals on the mill, IMHO.    In any event, I'll try to run hard and accept what it is.    What is your thinking?

Enjoy the Friday all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good morning fellas. Thanks for the recap Steve. And you're one tough cookie for getting outside to run in these conditions! Do you normally start dinner every evening?

Joe - do you belong to a fitness facility with an indoor track available? One of the Y branches here in town has a nice one. 11 laps around = 1 mile. Unfortunately, it gets pretty crowded at this time of the year.  Good luck with your training!

-4 here at 5:00 with a -25 wind chill. It's supposed to be like this for the foreseeable future. <sigh>  And everyone and their brother was at the Y this morning. 15 treadmills don't go very far. So, 30 minutes on the elliptical until a treadmill opened up, 30 minutes on the treadmill (3 miles) and 10 minutes on the rower. My friend who had the heart issues earlier in the week was back today. Playing racquetball. I asked him if he was crazy!

Tet - there's a lot more to do in Seattle than worry about the names of stadiums

I read the reviews for the new movie about Laurel and Hardy.  What do y'all think? The critics said it was worth the price of a ticket.

Joe618

Joe - do you belong to a fitness facility with an indoor track available? One of the Y branches here in town has a nice one. 11 laps around = 1 mile. Unfortunately, it gets pretty crowded at this time of the year.  Good luck with your training!

No, there is no such facility locally and I wish there was.    Our city has a new facility on the books which might be open in 2 years or so, with a planned mezzanine track of about 10 laps to the mile.   But that's all still on paper.    We make do in the meantime!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

I had planned on going to the Y to swim this morning but with the 8 (feels like -10) degrees, I just couldn't talk myself into it. The pool is probably still reasonably warm, but something about having to go outside with wet hair afterward, and with my cough and sore throat still there, just didn't seem like a good idea.

2 easy paced miles on the TM, followed by light weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great recap as always, Steve.  Twocat- terrific progress!

Joe- lots of coaches have you run by time and not distance anyway, so if you do the 800s (or whatever) by the time and effort  you would think they should take, you will be fine.  As we say in the law “substantial compliance.”   I have never been a fan of indoor tracks for real running- fine for walking or for a lap in between strength sets.  I always felt it was more boring than a treadmill unless it was about 8 or fewer laps to the mile.

Just about perfect running weather this morning here in Ft. Myers- 55 and mostly sunny.  A little more wind than I like, but not complaining.  This was perfect conditions for low HR (flat, too) so I made myself stick to the low HR and I did really well.  It’s not so easy at home with hills everywhere.     5.6 Florida miles in the bank.  I think we are going to check out Siesta Key (just to see it- too cool for the beach) today.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Nice progress Twocat - running a mile. You'll be up to 3 in no time!

Karen - 55 degrees is exactly 60 degrees warmer than the temp in Chicago this morning. It's ridiculous.

Anyways. Olive the cat was nearly successful in making me stay in bed when she climbed on me (woke me up... oops) at 6am and proceeded to squish out and make neck biscuits for the next 10 minutes (it's really a weird thing... luckily that cat is front declawed) With a temp of -5 with windchill in the-20's I was not going outside, so it was a quick 3 on the treadmill (which did NOT throw me any errors today, so I guess it just need to be lubed).

Metra was late so I had to stand outside for an extra 22 minutes waiting on the train. There's a shelter with small (ahem useless) heat lamps, but no station at my stop... brrrr. Next week we have a couple of nights with lows of -10 to -15 (that's before wind). I may work from home a day or two next week.

Happy Friday and stay warm everyone!

Anne

Dave59

I got a new work laptop last week. Yesterday I brought home the docking station because I work more here than at the office. Why does every computer, monitor, and every piece of equipment you buy have different connections????????????????????

I had to go to Best Buy this morning and get some adapters for my monitors to work. One monitor has a DVI, VGA, and HDMI connections and the other has VGA and HDMI. The new docking station has none of those ports. 

So, since Best Buy is next door to Planet Fitness, I went to the gym first and did an easy 3 on the treadmill.

Yesterday after work I stopped at the gym and did some weights and ARC trainer.  A year or so ago when I was in Dick's Sporting Goods I saw a rack with $20 silicone wedding bands.  I bought one and I've been wearing it at the gym because it doesn't cut into my finger when I am on the machines.  (Sometimes I just wear that one all the time since it is comfortable.)  When I got home from the gym yesterday, I wasn't wearing the "ring".  Not sure where I might have lost it. I asked if anyone turned it in but they did not.  If anyone saw it they would probably think it was trash broken off something else and tossed it.  It isn't any great loss. But I do miss it.

Dave - Those silicone wedding bands are all the rage now.

Great news, 2Kitty!

I, too, am jealous impressed that Steve gets on trails regularly.

PT this morning and I'll get in a walk after work.  I was completely pooped by 3:00 yesterday, so I left and went to the grocery store on the way hope and counted that, as well as my walk from the middle of the parking lot, as my walk for the day.

Almost the entire time I was off work, I slept great at night.  Now that I'm back working, my sleeping is once again sucking because I can't get my brain to shut off.  *sigh*

Hey - - It's Friday!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

(can you believe someone's never heard "Boris the Spider" before?).

Only a Boomer would say that.

I know the song but that's before my time; the "old" or "early" Who. I picked them up with Who's Next in the 70s, though I was never a huge fan.

Twocat--you seem to be doing well with your comeback. Keep it up!

Steve--satellite-assisted driveway cleaning. Impressive!

Jlynne--not a L&H fan so that one's not for me. I did see it got decent reviews, though.

anne--Wow, that's serious cold. Hang in there.

Dave--silicone wedding bands????.. at a sporting goods store??? I'm missing something.

Dave - Those silicone wedding bands are all the rage now.

You posted while I was typing. I had no idea about this. Old guy. (Apparently you can get a 7-pack for $7 on Amazon...which just raises more questions for me.)

10K brisk-walk on the trails for me today. Nice sunshine and comfortable 33F here.

There was a small group of hikers at the little parking lot near the trails this morning, which never happens on a weekday. I said hello. It turns out they were all laid-off employees of a company that does federal contract work (i.e. they'll never get back the month+ of lost salary). Not happy campers, understandably so.

Be safe. Be kind.

You posted while I was typing. I had no idea about this. Old guy. (Apparently you can get a 7-pack for $7 on Amazon...which just raises more questions for me.)

And they come in camo!

My DW and I give each other plenty of "me time". Some of mine is the one or two week-long cycling trips that I take each summer, which provides "me time" for both of us and vice versa when she goes somewhere with friends. Unfortunately, my 94yo MIL is now cutting into her free time a lot...

It was "us time" this morning, doing about 3.2 brisk walking miles at the Great Lakes Crossing Outlet Mall. A bit of a tricky drive getting there with cold and snow squalls at commute time, but nice coming back. Looks like another treadmill weekend ahead too.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

and proceeded to squish out and make neck biscuits for the next 10 minutes

I have no idea what this means.....

Silicone wedding bands....hmmm....I just take my wedding ring off before I work out, and it has never been a problem.  Either I am too old and/or unattractive, or the YMCA crowd doesn't consider it a "pick-up joint." 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

I got a new work laptop last week. Yesterday I brought home the docking station because I work more here than at the office. Why does every computer, monitor, and every piece of equipment you buy have different connections????????????????????

I had to go to Best Buy this morning and get some adapters for my monitors to work. One monitor has a DVI, VGA, and HDMI connections and the other has VGA and HDMI. The new docking station has none of those ports. 

The term for this is "digital friction".   It's the extraneous "stuff" we have to do to keep all our digital "stuff" up and running.   I got a new laptop at work as well recently and the new systems just don't quite work.   I weary of this digital friction.

________

Silicone wedding bands....hmmm....I just take my wedding ring off before I work out, and it has never been a problem.  Either I am too old and/or unattractive, or the YMCA crowd doesn't consider it a "pick-up joint." 

Well, I can vouch that it's not A or B, so it must be C. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...currently on crutches due to Back Spasm from Hell......

============

in a case of Cruel Irony

I sat thru a 2 1/2 HOUR movIe

(which would have been a GOOD 90-min movie)

with a Not Back Friendly seat

...........the next 2-days will be spent on the Floor wearing Two back braces......

after all the Intense Work-Outs

it is truly ironic

a movie I had a Free Pass to did me in

================

Short Version-

.......meh...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....