Masters Running

Mahvelous Monday 10/07 (Read 47 times)

Good morning people! Rise and shine Big grin Jay must be out putting an addition on his new woodshed so I'll start today.

Raining again this morning so off to the Y for 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes of weights and core.

Wow - a 3:08 is a bad marathon time? And the Twin Cities has some hills at the end if I remember correctly. He's going to kill that next race, Mike. Good for dad for knowing when to stop talking...

That was a great picture of Enke and Tet yesterday.

Send me some applesauce Tammy - love it on a toasted bagel.

Off to work - have a great day everyone.

Slo

I need to do the TCM again sometime...Had a blast last time! Thanks for sharing Mike...There were lots of people I know who raced that this weekend.

No run yet today but as of yesterday I had a 21 day streak going. Two back to back 50+ mile weeks...I think I'm getting my mojo back. It's been missing since January.

Jlynne...How 'bout those PACKERS!

Mmmm....never tried applesauce on a toasted bagel but that really sounds good. I have a big tub of homemade applesauce from my neighbor...I believe a bagel stop on the way home is in order.

King of PhotoShop

What a great story and pic of Tet and Enke, two of my favorite people on this forum, one with the terse, witty and articulate posts and the other one also.  Glad you two got together and had fun.

Mike E., there is no feeling worse than going out too fast in a marathon and then gutting it in mile after mile. He won't do that again I'm sure.  A 1:16 at the half is blazing!

Still sore-legged from Saturday's race so just 2.2 brisk walking miles at the park with my RP.  She was first female master on Saturday, running a 15K at White Rock Lake, so she was happy to walk today, thank goodness.

Here is my write-up about the race in the DMN:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/after-20k-on-those-trails-id-like-to-get-back-on-my-feet.html/

Spareribs

Tramps

Jlynne--nice balanced workout there.  Thanks for getting us started.

Slo--good to see you back on the road so regularly.

Ribs--that was a silly write-up. Smile

Mike--what an experience to have with your son! I'm sure that's a lesson learned well for him.  Was he going for a sub-3 first time out?  Horrible execution and he still manages a 3:08.  What's that line about youth being wasted on the young?  He's got some PR's in his future, that's for sure.  Nice job doing what you could for support.

This guy showed up in our backyard yesterday, which may explain why we haven't seen turkeys lately..  Usually I don't have time to snap a picture but he lingered just long enough.  If we start getting deliveries for Acme explosives, I'm going to be worried.

This is transition day as a front is due to move through, bringing much needed rain and cooler temps tomorrow.  Still tropical this morning though, with warm temps and 100% humidity.  I went for a slow 10 mile recovery run.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

awww, what a cute lil pup, Tramps.

I need to read Ribs' write-up. I'm also kinda curious if his shoes got dirty? I can't picture Ribs in dirty shoes.

thanks for the hugs and kind words everyone. I'll just tackle the tasks one day at a time. Can't really look at the big picture, but just what can be accomplished bit by bit.

Looks like we have another nice fall day coming our way. The wknd was perfect - crisp and cool in the mornings, but mid 70's by afternoon. just the way I like it. Need to take advantage of these days while we have them because before we know it , it'll be dark by the time I get home, cold and rainy.

eta: another classic Ribs-style write up! maybe you can put a fuel belt on your Christmas wish-list. . . or maybe you'll just keep the system you got going. it seems to be working for you. . . . Wink

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enke - thanks for the great start (and finish) to yesterday’s Run with the Fishes 5K.  I’ve never been a fan of the 5K but somehow yesterday’s was very special.  I kind of regret being too tired to check out your new racy red racer afterwards but being with a real one <<<(that would be you)>>> was better. What a change in you and your running from our St. Pat’s Dash with divechief.  You are going to have plenty of doors to be checking out whenever you want, that’s for sure.
              ps - thanks tramps the roadrunner for the timbo rehash. 
              Makes me, and probably all the rest of us too, feel better.
              I hope tim too with regard to what everyone said from jeane’s “hurtful” to ribs too (if my google search that it didn’t mean South Dakota Farmer’s Union was correct)

,. .

ps ribs, nice try at trying to be a trail runner but, maybe check with your 70-yo pacer Tom Crull, as anyone in our age group with any wilderness experience from those days (there were no ultras for regular runners) knows, it’s gorp, not grop. Big grinBig grin   Doesn’t matter though as anyone else you would’ve asked wouldn’t have known either

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Great photo, Tramps!

{{{Tammy and Family}}}  No need to race into getting things done.  If you know some folks in the probate field, give 'em a jingle in a few days.  I know what's required in CA, so that doesn't help you any, except you will need to eventually notify the Dept of Health Care Services, which will include sending a copy of your MIL's death certificate.  If she was on Medicare, but doesn't have any assets, it won't matter if they make a claim.  Since she only had Social Security, I assume last health care expenses and burial expenses will likely take any money she had.

And I can relate to everyone's comments about learning from your racing mistakes!! Big grin  I'm moving better today than yesterday, but going up the stairs here at work gets me a bit winded.  I stayed under the covers this morning, but plan to go for about a 30 min walk when I get home from work - get the legs moving again.  No plans for anymore races until some time after the first of the year, so I'm looking forward to a period of rest, recovery, x-training, and strength training.

. . . . I get to talk to my coach tonight about my astounding stupidity this past weekend . . . . Roll eyes

Now off to Ribs' article ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ribs' Article -

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

yeah, I should probably do that Leslie. She only received SS and was on Medicare but I think she also had a supplemental health insurance? perhaps that would be Medicaid? not sure, I really know nothing about all that. today DH and I are meeting with the funeral home so they can fill in the blanks on the death certif and have that signed off on and filed with the state I presume. I'm guessing I'll need to send copies of that to her credit cards, DHS (she had a home health aide that came to her home daily, etc.). She had no assets as far as investments, etc. just her checking/savings, which was minimal. She just lived off what she got per month (about 1K maybe?). We are doing a simple cremation, no memorial through the funeral home, just something on our own at our house later this month most likely. What little family she still had are all distant and she hasn't spoken to them in years, although we did call the family we know about this wknd (cousins). my DH is an only child, so there are no other siblings, etc.

Tammy

DollarBill

Tammy, My condolences to you and your family on your loss.  Regarding what to do, I went through this this past year when my Mom passed.  The funeral director should take care of filing the death certificate with SS and Medicare.  If your MIL had supplemental insurance, that usually means private health insurance.  Did she have a will?  If so, whoever was appointed as the executor(rix) can take care of notifying the various parties such as credit cards, banks, insurance companies, etc.  I supposed even if she did not have a will, and had no assets, you could call those companies and then may be ok with that.  Some might require a certified copy of the death certificate, others simply notice over the phone.

If you were named on the checking account and it's a joint account, that money simply passses to you.

There could be differences in laws between where you live and where I do (MA).

My best to you in taking care of this and again, sympathies to you.

Bill

yeah, I should probably do that Leslie. She only received SS and was on Medicare but I think she also had a supplemental health insurance? perhaps that would be Medicaid? not sure, I really know nothing about all that. today DH and I are meeting with the funeral home so they can fill in the blanks on the death certif and have that signed off on and filed with the state I presume. I'm guessing I'll need to send copies of that to her credit cards, DHS (she had a home health aide that came to her home daily, etc.). She had no assets as far as investments, etc. just her checking/savings, which was minimal. She just lived off what she got per month (about 1K maybe?). We are doing a simple cremation, no memorial through the funeral home, just something on our own at our house later this month most likely. What little family she still had are all distant and she hasn't spoken to them in years, although we did call the family we know about this wknd (cousins). my DH is an only child, so there are no other siblings, etc.

TammyinGP

thanks DollarBill. As far as I know, there's no will. But I haven't gone through all her paperwork. I know she has a small life insurance policy. Fortunately, she kept everything very neatly filed in a lateral folder system. everything is nicely labeled and she always kept the stubs of bills she paid, so it'll be easy for me to track what's been paid for October and put stops on things, like phone, tv, etc.

I don't want to muddy up the thread with this topic, so I apologize, but if anyone else has advice on things they encountered while dealing with something like this, I sure appreciate it. It helps my brain organize the things I'll have to do.

Tammy

mrrun

good luck Tammy - it's always hard.

<hijack rant on>

i've been on the phone with medicare/health ins for >2 hour getting a catch-22 run around - & i speak english and understand the system! GRRRRRRRR also was on the phone with social security.  i'm not sure it wouldnt have been easier to stay employed NOT  <rant off>

ran long yesterday & today only a short one home from the car repair place.

marj

Mariposai

I can't wait to read Ribs's article, but it will have to wait until tomorrow since today right after work I have to travel to Brewster for an evening presentation to school parents. I so enjoy my job!

I am resting my wings today, but I did enjoy watching the sunrise while doing one hour of core workout. Speaking of workout, since the middle of July I have been doing Jillian Michael's six packs in six weeks video with great results. To date I lost 8 inches of fat from around my waste, lost 13 pounds and I feel that I am getting a well toned body (well, I also hiked for over 100 miles carrying a 55 pd backpack Joking for 11 days, so that helps with the weight reduction). I would recommend it to anyone.  BTW, the video is like a bootcamp, you work hard during the entire workout, but it pays!

May your Monday be fun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quick post for me for now.  No running today.  Also, to quell rumors I was not disappointed in my HM time yesterday so no need for all the warm thoughts (though they were appreciated!).  It was a test race to see what I could likely run a marathon in.  The answer was not as fast as I would like so it just means picking one on a later date.  Tramps the HM is relatively my best distance.  Yesterday I ran it just as I had hoped.  I am pretty sure it went as well as possible.  I doubt my time was anything but the best I can do right now.

Here is why I actually popped in.  I have been meaning to point out this blog called Sweat Science at Runner's 'World.  It is by a guy who really seems to understand the recent research.  He had a post a few days ago about the optimal length over which to do intervals.  If you want to skip the blog post the answer is ones that take you 3 to 5 minutes to complete.  For me, as an example, that means I should be running 800m to 1200m between jogs.  Your meterage may differ. Big grin  Another blog I highly recommend is called Running Research Junkie.  Here are the links:

First to the one with the optimal repetition piece.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/whats-the-most-effective-length-for-interval-repetitions

Second to the Running Research Junkie blog.

http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Tet, I was trying to do this humor thing, like calling gorp "grop", so that readers would think, "That idiot doesn't even know the word!" I am glad I got you on it.  And I did NOT really ask people about chickens and peanut butter.  Tet, by any chance have you met Tom? He's been all over the country and named many races I was familiar with.

And yes, my shoes got very dirty, as did the rest of me when I fell on my face. I took my shoes off in the garage and left them there, then hosed them off the next day.  Good as new now.  As to the fall, the most forward lace of my shoes got caught on a root "spike" and smacked me right to the ground, like a trap, so that after I fell I couldn't extricate my foot from the root.  Tom had to untangle the shoe from the root or I'd still be there!  I was fortunate to land on a soft dirty area next to the trail. Had I landed on the trail it would have been on the rocks.

Tom told me something else about falls. It's not the big root you can see from 20 feet away that you trip on, but one you notice AFTER it trips you, usually something very small.    Spareribs