Masters Running

40s+ on the Run -- Week Ending 5/30 (Read 442 times)

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Just getting us started here, and counting on you guys to supply the running (and other) adventures.  

The arrival of more summerlike heat and humidity is like an anti-motivator for me.   Runs turn to walks, and the walks have given way to nothing for a few days.  So at church this morning, a gal I was training on how to make the coffee was telling me how she has started running w/ a neighbor in the mornings.  Then MY running friend shows up and we agreed we are going to start running on Saturdays again, which I'm hoping will help me stay on it the rest of the week.  So I hope to have some actual RUNNING to talk about soon!

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Hey Thanks for starting us up Carol. I'm going to be looking to also run with others folks. I joined the NJ Road Runners Club and they have a long run every early Sun morning. Next round of mara training I'm going to do it. They say that you get to chatting and before you know it, the run is done. Sounds good to me!

Good Luck to Cindy and Lynda and Jim in Colorado!! Go git 'em kids!  I'll put my $$ on the farmers this time.

Sounds to me like Cindy may have done a few Margarita lifts down there in Florida!

Real life forced today's LR in the hottest part of an 83* day.Down to the beach where at least there was a breeze. The shore towns are kind of small so today I started in Sea Girt, then went through the towns of

Spring Lake, Lake Cuomo, Belmar, Avon, Bradely Beach, Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, Loch Arbor, and Deal. Then in reverse of course where a very quick jump in the cold ocean waited at the end.

Ev check it out......

Went to hear this Nebraska sandhill rancher guy friday nite. Caution Twang!

That's the way we do it in OK!   Which one of the dancers was you and Lynda?

Hello evryone.

9 miles for me this evening.  Later, I'll share last weeks runs in the Quartz Mnts of OK.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Check this out Folks.here is the course I ran today (not quite all of it). Click on the butterfly at the top of the map, it shows pics of things along the way! Cool! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/23ed16e2388c4f28a4d36c9f4ba234c9/courses/a4b458eaa4d943a8a51421e6f2722427

MTA- Hi Ev ,good to see you back.Simultaneous post.

Evening, folks -

Joe - I'll have to look at the link on m desktop.  Taking too long to download on my laptop.  Same with Jim's link.

Cindy - "gotta get the feces integrated before am 10K."  What????

Carol (and Joe) - Running with folks definitely helps the time fly, especially on the long runs, which is why Karen and I like to run together.

Today was XT day with lots of yard work.  And boy howdy is my back feeling it!  However, hopefully things will be looking nice in about a month or so.  Put some plants in the ground along the fence line, which didn't endere me to The Hub.  "How am I suppose to mow there?"  Dunno.  Figure it out.   If he had his way, our yard with be all lawn and nothing else.  Kinda goes with his wanting all the walls in the house to be some version of white - yaaaaawwwwn.  I also tried rescuing my azalea bush that he mowed over (wasn't his fault).  Keeping my fingers crossed it comes back, 'cause it was the one the vet sent us when we had to put Ozzy down a couple of years ago.

Tomorrow will try doing 3 miles and see how the ankle feels.  I've decided that if I end up having to go back to the doctor,  as long as I'm not doing any damage, I'm not going to have anything done to it until after SOB in August.  And with that a mere few weeks away, I have to get my butt in gear on this training run.

Okay - Time to say good night.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Monday morning to everyone....

Thanks for getting us started Carol, and you'll find that mojo again.

Leslie, I thought the same thing, feces.....what?

Nice run for Joe and you are so lucky to live that close to the ocean.

Here's hoping the BB is a good one for our racers.

Graduation was completed Saturday morning for my daughter! She's my tough little 100lb. cookie who was reduced to a few tears after the ceremonies were over. I think she was more proud of herself then any of us. "I did it mom, I freaking did it". Of course you did it!

My husband made Mahi Mahi skewers with ham and pineapple, with a ginger-soy sauce served over a bed of Couscous for dinner yesterday. Man was that good......

Have a great day......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Happy Memorial Day!  Almost did a "Live from the BB!" .....hard to txt & run @ the same time...at least legibly!

Would be easier to post the details if copy & paste were working....??  

Short version:  Me:  1:06:55 (2 mins slower than last yr)

Doug:  55:15 (5 mins faster than last yr)

Guessing the "Citizen's Race" segment to be approx 47,416 people.....until they release "official" results....+ the wheelies, elites, teams, etc....Even though I was 2 mins slower than last year, this year felt MUCH better! I believe I met my goal of running a smart & steady race. My splits are alot more consistent & my best pace came from the last 300 yds. my only walk break was on the last hill where I came upon a lge tfc jam of walkers (last hill is pretty steep - relatively speaking) that I just couldn't get around or through for abt 20 yds or so....& there were also the obvious - "negotiating the abrupt walkers" who stop right where they are! middle of the road - causing countless folks immediately behind to jump to the right or left to avoid a collision! Not as many costumes this year...or maybe they were in waves further back that I didn't get to see...Didn't see Jim till afterwards, but found Lynda near the bag-drop trucks - & then again afterwards.  We didn't do much of the expo....set up a little different from last year...long lines for fruit juice, etc & no free beer, sooo we 4 headed out for burgers & beers @ the Red Robin a couple of blocks down from where we'd parked.....  Doug & I need to work out some races to do a bit closer to them in the future!

Leslie:  I kinda thought the term "Gettin my $hlt together" to be pretty universal?

Carol:  Hang in! You'll get there!  Real life can just get in the way sometimes....doesn't mean it's a permanent situation  

Joe!  Whaddya doin bettin against me!   you'd think I was a lush or sompin!

Jewels:  Sorry we didn't get to hook up this time...wasn't sure how negotiable my group would be &  I do remember how chaotic graduation week can be!!  NTM: I have no idea how far away you live from Marco Island!  But we'll have other chances in the future I hope! 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

A moment of silence for those who have given their lives to keep our country safe and free.

Cindy - Nice job to you and Doug.  And that Doug - five minutes faster than last year.  Nice!  And now I understand the whole feces thing.

Jewels - to you and your family for your daughter's graduation.

Today's 3-miler was a testament to taking time off when you're exhausted - even though I was forced to for the ankle.  I ran my 3 miles in 30:54 and not one single time felt like I was struggling, even when my heart rate went over 170.  It felt good and easy, and it's been a long time since my runs have felt that way.

Went for a drive today, but got halfway up the mountain and our truck started making weird noises.  Something in the brake system.  Thank goodness it's still under warranty!  But came back to sunshine, surprisingly - the first time the whole weekend - and The Hub is now napping and I'm about to hit the last of my tapes for this round of transcription.  Was given 5 more last week, but told them I wouldn't be able to start them 'til around Wednesday, thankfully.

And that being said - off to transcribe!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Just got home, kinda took our time moseying home with frequent stops and walk breaks to keep the twitchy legs at bay. Short and sweet, I was 5 seconds faster than last yr @ 54:58 and Lynda 26 sec faster @ 1:16:42. Kinda gimpy after. Had fun hanging out with Cindy and Doug. Drove in rain all the way home so no farm guilt. More on the race later. They had number blanks you could honor those who served so I put my dad on mine (5th army, artillery cptn WWII Italy).

Carol hope you sat morn group goes!

Joe thanks for the well wishes, will have to check out that run later.

Ev Lynda said the smoooooth ones!! lol She is a pretty good swing dancer and 2 stepper unfortunately I could never see the point in it. ;-)  Jim Rice reminds me of the old HS rodeo dances, classic country and western swing, good steel guitars, vocals are better than utube sound quality.

nice 9 BTW.

Leslie hope the ankle comes around, that shave the bone sounded pretty drastic, sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Jewells congrats to u and DD #2, you have reason to be proud!!

Wondering about Arla and mom

laters

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Neat mapping of your run, Joe.  I like how it's got the pictures.  Did you say you took a quick dip into ocean after the run?  Nice.

Leslie, I've been thinking about planting some stuff in a couple areas of the yard, also.  DW and I did a bunch of planting several years ago with good results.  However gophers or moles have eaten up quite a few plants/bushes over the years.   So that's kind of frustrating.  Anyway, hope the plants do good and your azalea makes a come back.  And nice 3 miler....glad it felt good for you.

Jewels....congrats on the graduation of DD.  Graduations are a special time.  DH sounds like a pretty good cook....you're a lucky woman!

mtnchk...congrats on the fine racing at BB!  Sounds like a fun one.  Glad you and your's got to meet up with Jim and his.   I know what you mean about the copy and paste thing.  It used to be a right click.....I think it works now but it's located on the tool bar above the text box.  Not as convenient to me....but I'll get it worked out.

Jim, congrats to you and Lynda on the fine racing at BB.  I haven't done a 10k in years. (none in my recent runnng life).  The 10K and 1/2 M would are good distances for me.  Not too fast, not too far.  I am impressed by Jim Rice.  I thought his vocals were excellent.  He mentioned his father played in bands....I have seen and heard Tony Rice.  Pretty well know musician in the bluegrass circles......I wonder.....

Carol, I hope you and your partner get the Saturdays going again.  Get out and enjoy the H and H....even walks are great!

Last week I participated in an EPA emergency response exercise at Quartz Mountain State Park.  It was really a very well designed event.  I did some running while I was there.....a 3miler and a couple of 6ers.  The hills.....OMGsh.  We just don't have those kind of hills where I live.  But I came to really enjoy them.  Getting to the top of each one felt like you had joined forces with it.  And the views were really breathtaking (from OK standards).  I tried to do the neat mapping thing that Joe did.....it may take awhile.  Good runs to you all.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

I can see that we're going to have a "good time" figuring out this new system!  

Ev:  Thanks, I'll play w/the copy/paste thingy - not sure what to think about the "security message" from internet explorer advising that I'm allowing this website to view my "clipboard"?!  I never know what to be worried about!! ....some of the others work differently too....I am SOOO computer confused!!!       My log has the maps & stuff that Joe has - I do the GPS upload from my Garmin 305.....already has ALL of that stuff in there...I don't have to do anything extra. & I have some kind of graph @ the bottom (?)   Now, every time I click on a picture (butterfly thingy) it zooms in....so then I have to back out to see the full map again....I'm sure there's another trick I'm not seeing yet

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

3.16 hilly neighborhood (aren't they all around here) @ 11:44 av pc + .66 cool down walk, post rain (100% humidity but only 49*F)  w/Doug & Mairead....includes neighbor visiting during cool down ....

Been reading references to "streaking" in some of the other boards....as in:  running something, whether it be .5 miles or 15 miles,  but running every day  (not running sans clothing!)  hmmm....

Morning, Folks -

Jim and Lynda - Good job at BB!  I think it's great that you guys and Cindy and her hub get to meet up once in awhile.

Joe - I looked at the map thing.  Very cool!  I need to stop inputting my runs in by hand and just download straight to my laptop.

Cindy - I can't figure out the "quote" thing 'cause it looks like it wants to put any quotes at the bottom of this box.  Other than that, I haven't tried too many things.

5 miles this a.m. with 5 hill repeats.  Ended up with a 10:08 ap.  Would've been a tad faster, except certain problems arose - and I just know you guys love hearing about this.  After days of, well, issues, I decided to try that "gentle overnight relief" stuff.  Worked like a charm when I had my gb removed.  I was hoping against hope it wouldn't kick in until after my run.  Weeeeellllll, that, my friends, turned out to not be the case.  . . . And Safeway was a long, long, long 1/2 mile away.  Oh man - runs a few yards, stop to try and regain control, walk gingerly, pick it up to a run again, repeat.  Have you ever tried to run whilst squeezing dem cheeks together?  It's tuff, I tell you.  Darn tuff.  Next time I'll have to take the stuff right before I go to bed.

Alrighty then - have a great day!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Evening everyone,

To our weekend racers, way to go! Cindy, considering your mileage wasn't where you wanted it to be, you did awesome. Only 2 minutes slower then last year isn't too shabby. Great job! Your hub did fabulous with a 5 minute PR! To Jim and Lynda, way to go on a great race. Jim, that was a fabulous time you had there. Congrats to you and Lynda. Great job Lynda on your time. 26 seconds faster tells me your really coming along well and improving with each run/race!

Leslie, glad your last 2 runs have felt good besides this mornings "nature call"!

Just checked out Joe's mapped run with pics.....really cool! What a nice run.

Wow Ev, loved the link you put up. I wanna go! Really pretty......nice runs you got in there.

Carol, I here ya on the heat and humidity. We have had sooooooo much rain here in the past week it is really starting to get on my last nerve.

Arla, hope your mom is doing O.K........continued thoughts coming your way.

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                                Been reading references to "streaking" in some of the other boards....as in:  running something, whether it be .5 miles or 15 miles,  but running every day  (not running sans clothing!)  hmmm....

Mtn....I can hear the wheels turning.  You're thinking about doing this aren't you.   I admit I've given it some thought too.  I might give it a try for a week and see how it goes.    You and I both mentioned hills in this thread....A couple of my running buddies are registered for the Pikes Peak run....I believe it's in August?  That would be an adventure.  With you and Pikes Peak being in Colorado, it just made me think of you.

Leslie....nice 5er....I think.....too funny!

Jewels....I wouldn't mind trading you a day in Oklahoma for a day in Florida.

Did a nice 6er last evening with DW.  first couple miles were sluggish, then some "feel good" kicked in. 

Good runs/walks to all.