Masters Running

Hoosier Park Sprint Triathlon RR - Short Version (Read 280 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

I looked at this race as just a fun race, because I had no swim or much bike training at all....but still thought I could do well. I really didn't know exactly how many racers there were, till I got the results after the race. This is a very low keyed Tri, and doesn't bring in  the Elite and super fast racers....good for me  (184 participants) But there were still some really fast people there too, as my Friend Zack smoked the race as he is a Pro Triathlete.

Swim: 1/2 mile - 16:01 - 108 OA - Yes, I am a slow swimmer.

The swim is in a pond in the middle of a horse track, and it is a hard swim because of the mass start on such a small body of water. Standing in chilly water (73 degrees and no wet suit) I was up to my hips in sea weed and muck. Taking off is very difficult as everyone is climbing over each others back trying to find some open water. With me being on the slow side, I tend to be ran over a lot and it's hard to find a groove. I finally was swimming alone with about 200 yards left as I was breathing very hard, but made it to the end just fine. Then another challange is trying to get out of the mucky sea weed mess at the end. As usual with me, when I got to the bike racks....a lot of the bikes were already gone.

Bike: 16.5 miles -  42:18 - 23.4 ave mph - 6th OA

I love this part of my Tri's, because of how many of the fast swimmers I pass while cycling. I will admit OK, that this was extremley hard for me to ride this fast, because of my lack of training. I knew who the fast riders were, and tried to keep up the best I could as I was really sucking air (drafted a time or two when I knew the officials were not around)  I normally ave 23 to 25 mph on such a short distance, so I was really happy about the bike portion of the race.

Run: 5K - 20:11 - 6:31 ave pace - 26th OA 

Dear lord....talk about "rubber legs" trying to run after cycling....that's why brick workouts are so very important, which obviously I hadn't done. I litterally felt like I was running at  snail pace, and really had no way of knowing how fast - slow I was running because of being in extreme oxygen debt. I finally felt a little better after a mile or so, and really had to keep telling myself that I am a strong runner - tried to think of all the mantras I could possibly think of to get me through the extreme pain, of being anerobic for so long....the whole race actually. I made it to the finish and basically fell down at the finish line, hurting more than I think I ever have before....but made it.

I am at the library trying this up, so I need to hurry as my computer time is running out.

I will say I was shocked - amazed at my 5K the most....even more so than the bike part. That is the one thing about Triathlons, it's sometimes hard to know how fast you are running...but normally, a person is going faster than it seems (as Slo has alluded to a few times...thanks buddie, as I was thinking about Ya!).

Overall: 1:22:55 - 21st OA - AG 1st out of 13 (new age group is )  I was first in my age group both cycling and running....and mid pack swimming.

Actually, this is a 2 minute PR over the last time I did this race, as my 5K made a big difference this time around. And, I won't bore you with transitions times...but I was shirtless with just my Tri shorts on which makes T times easier and faster (wimmin luv it too)

OK, need to go before the computer shuts done.

Thanks for reading, and I was thinking about all of you during my race...as I was really sucking air and about puking at the end...just the way I like it   

Oh yeah....I ran 13 easy miles afterwards, to make this my long run day too.

TimBo

PS: I have some bad news too, but I will relay that on the Daily and not in my RR

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

Damn nice race Tim.....Freaking Awesome.

Fan-F'ing-Tastic Bike and Run splits ! A well earned 1st Place AG.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yowza!  I thought you would do good, but you were SMOKIN'!!  Congratulations on the 1st AG and an awesome race!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Woo Hoo! Go Tim. Congratulations!
          wildchild

Carolyn

Wow!  Awesome race, and congrats on the 1st in AG!  Being 50 does have it's rewards.    (And I bet you looked pretty good shirtless, too!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bike, you sure had a great tri, 1st in AG and PR and you hadn't trained much for 2 of the 3 events.  The 13 mile run afterwards sure shows you are in good shape and a great athlete.  Congratulations.

TomS

You're a force to be reckoned with!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Nice!  Veeeerrrrry nice!!

Have to say, though, the swimming conditions sound .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great race, Tim.  must feel great to pass all those who tried to drown you during the bike and run!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow, just wow...  amazing race. Janet
                      coastwalker

Hi TIm,

Congrats on a great race, despite the difficult conditions in the swim portion. Whatever you lacked in the water, you more than made up for on the bike and on your feet. The AG win and PR were clearly well-earned!

I can imagine that the transition from pedaling to running, with the different muscles and turnover rate would make it very difficult to get a good feel for the road when you start running. Not being able to gauge how fast you are running must be one of the more challenging issues to deal with in a tri.

Well done!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow Tim!! That's a great 5K without the swim and bike!! Nice bike speed 23 mph! Hoozah!

Congrats!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome to the nontraining club.

however, please send me the long version so I can see if at least my shodless tri-transitions beat you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wow -- amazing race Tim!!

denise

TammyinGP

and you did THAT on not much training?!!! Dang Tim! That's awesome! Just think what those times could have been had you been doing more swimming and biking and added in some brick workouts!

Congratulations!

Tammy