Masters Running

Race Reports for the March 3&4 weekend (Read 34 times)

Mariposai

Wishing the best of luck to the weekend Master Racers!!

03/03 Opie - Brain Injury Support Group 5k, El Paso, TX

03/03 pfriese - Beacon on the Bay 15K, OKC, OK

03/04 Stumpy77 - 5K at the Hamptons, Hampton NH

03/04 Quickadder - Zydeco Marathon, Lafayette Louisiana

03/04 Catwhoorg - Chattanooga Marathon (Goal to BQ)

Wishing good luck to Catwhoorg with his BQ goal.

We can't wait to read the race reports.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

pfriese

Race: Beacon on the Bay 15K

Weather: Sunny, 48 degrees, with a 20mph south wind

Result: 1:14:16 1AG & 14OA

Tl;dr portion of the report.

I signed up yesterday evening for my first race of the year. I'm currently following Hanson's Marathon training plan for the Boston Marathon in April. In his book, he stresses no races during training. After visiting up in Seattle area last weekend plus Monday & Tuesday & spending time with the kids & grandkids there instead of running, my training schedule was a bit messed up. Since I missed both my strength & tempo workouts, I decided that this race would make a good combo of the two along with it's utility as a tune up race. I'll get back on schedule next week. Smile

This race is put on by the OKC Running Club as their main fundraising race of the year. It has 5K, 15K, & 25K options. I arrived a bit early & got in a nice warm up run before the race. At the start, I lined up with my usual like-paced friends. The start was into a stiff south wind for the first 2 miles. Enough runners were racing so that some drafting/blocking of the wind was available. The race then turned west so that we were running crossways with the wind. My main goal was to hold around an 8:00/mile pace. Turning made that effort much easier. By the turn around point I had pulled away from my friends & started seeing those behind me & was heckled by a few for not doing the 25K race. When we made the turn back to the north with the now stronger wind at our backs, I was able to pick up my pace & finish with a negative split. Overall pace of 7:59/mile. So, I was very happy with the result.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

spacityrunner

By the turn around point I had pulled away from my friends & started seeing those behind me & was heckled by a few for not doing the 25K race.  

Heckling friends are the best!

Nice racing.

Trails Rock!

spinach

I got in a race this morning, Chase a Leprechaun 5k or something like that in Becker MN. It was okay, I was able to run fairly easy and had no hamstring problems so hopefully as it warms up I will be able to get back to some speed. I won the 60+ age group with a time of 23:06. This is now 192 consecutive months with a race, I made it through the winter, that has always been a challenge here in Minnesota.

Paul, you know how happy I was when they added the 15k distance to that race so I would not have heckled you!  In fact, I wouldn't have been able to keep you in sight.

My race was more or less local, an hour away, and fortunately I-10 was almost deserted when I headed to El Paso at 5:50 a.m. (it was completely shut down on my way home!)  Got my bib number, no chip because it was a charity run, and warmed up.  Put the gloves back in my car and lined up but there was a delay because people were literally signing up at the last minute.  I've been practicing positive thinking so I told myself, "Remember how the start was delayed at 3M in Austin the year you hit your half PR there?"  I kept telling myself to stay strong but unfortunately the dry heaves hit me at mile 2.9 which is pretty typical.  I didn't lose much time, though, and finished strong.  Hopefully Coach Neely can help me figure out how to deal with this.  Or I could quit paying her and hire a sports psychologist because I can't afford both!

25:59.9 on the race results which cracks me up because the guy was using an old school stick/bib tear off so I don't see how it can be that precise.  1st AG, 50-59 so I got a medal at the awards ceremony, and 16th overall.  Glad they didn't give a participation medal-like to feel like I earned it!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

catwhoorg

Labrat

The BQ attempt went out the window a few weeks ago.

I hurt my ribs, had both kids sick several times and DW added in. Training pretty much was a suck the whole of 2018 so far.

So a short RR:

Refocused on a sub 4 and lined up with the 3:55 pacer.

5 K split pace 9:02

10K split pace 8:54

15K Split pace 8:53

Hm Split pace 8:51

20 Mile Split pace 8:51

Good consistent pacing by the pacer and a good consistent running by me. As with all things marathon related when things go bad, they go bad fast and they go bad big.

32-27 K split place 9:03 Ok a little wobble, but still OK.

last 5K split pace 15:17  *BOOM*

My hip just couldn't take it an more and I walk pretty much the whole of the last 5K. Its a shame, but probably deserved with the lack of long runs (did I say trained had been sucky  enough yet?)

Going to keep focused on halves and below for the rest of the year. Shelving a repeat BQ attempt to 2019.

I'm a super sore (see sucky training) and get to hop on a flight to India tomorrow. (yay perfect recovery - NOT)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Quickadder

Zydeco Marathon 3/4/18, Lafayette, LA.

I ran the equivalent race last year as my first marathon and thought I could improve from last year if the weather cooperated. Nearly wasn’t able to register as the organizers required pick up at the Expo yesterday and, it  being tax season, I was working. Finally got permission for my DD to pick up for me, so I registered and the arrangement worked fine.

The race is not much more than an hour drive away, but I planned to get there early. Two other local runners were riding with me and thought the 4.30am start was far too early, but I had been delayed on the Interstate before so wanted a time cushion. About 25 miles from our destination there was a wreck that had just happened - we didn’t see it happen but got a front row view of the fire service extracting one of the drivers and the medics taking the victim to the Medevac helicopter! We were sat there for 85 minutes to almost race time. My DD to the rescue by getting the timers at the start to keep the start open.

Of course the police had most of the streets closed around the start, but we eventually found a way through and (for $5) were allowed to park in the VIP lot. Warm up was a jog to the start, with a strategic visit to the portapotties on the way. Started 16 minutes after the official start and 4 minutes after the last wave.

In the rush to get started, I had not changed into my newer shoes and I had left my fueling choice of mini Snickers and Milky Ways in the car. The shoes I was wearing were those I ran in last year and must have well over 600 miles on them. I opted to take Gator Ade at far more water stops than usual.

Race went well for the first few miles and I passed lots of walkers and slower runners. Caught and passed the HM 3:00, 2:30 and 2:20 Pacers before the half and full split just before mile 12. My 10K split was right in my target of 60-61 minutes. Right calf started complaining before I hit halfway, but my HM split of 1:08 was where I hoped to be.

Weather forecast had been 54F at start rising to about 70F, which was pretty accurate. However the forecast was for cloudy conditions throughout, but hardly a cloud made an appearance. Humidity was way below what is typical here and a decent breeze caused rapid evaporation. I ended up covered in salt deposits.

The second half was a struggle and I walked a lot towards the end. Final time was 5:02:18.8 for 82OA of about 146. 4th in AG60-64.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

Had some time this morning to read through the race reports.  I like having this thread because if I see a RR in the daily, but don't have much time to spend, I admit I will skim over it but then never remember to come back to it later in the week. 

That kind of a start Stephen would send me into an absolute panic. Not much you can do about uncontrollable circumstances like that though. sounds like you had a pretty nice HM though!  lol. the 2nd HM sounds quite grueling though.

paul and karl sure had good races too.    haven't ever experienced dry heaves Karl, I wonder why that is happening? 

and congrats spinach on your racing streak. That's pretty phenomenal given racing in MN in the dead of winter. Fast 5K too!

Tammy

Anzlo

Good race reporting by all you hearty folks who can run an event in early March.  I have not as yet run an event from November to March.  I find weather, family things, and maintaining enough running fitness during that time frame as very significant impediments.  And then there was work that always got in the way as well.

Again, a big congratulations to all you first weekend in March racers !  

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Tammy, it's happened a lot in 5k's and because it often happens between mile 2.5 and the finish, my first thought years ago was that it was anxiety when you can hear the finish line combined with the intensity of running that distance.  But it happens during hard workouts sometimes too, so I talked to my Coach about it and I think it's just pushing my limits.  I have better data to look at now and my HR was in the anaerobic capacity zone almost at max for 53.4% of the race.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

I agree with Tammy, this is a great thread where you don't "lost" these race reports in the daily.

Nice job by everyone! Quickadder, we had a crazy traffic jam before the 2009 Rock-n-Roll Seattle Marathon, the inaugural of that race. Several of us were going in two cars and got stuck in traffic forever! We got to the start and jumped into a later corral and made it but geez that was close. Nothing like a big accident and total highway closure though.

Cat, sorry about the tough run but I think you pretty much figured out the reason for that. Hope you get another chance to try for a BQ this year.

Paul, well done and that 15k is a nice race distance. Wish we had some of those (or a ten mile race) around here.

Opie! Good to see you! Sorry about the heaves but at least you didn't puke! Big grin

Spinach, amazing streak you've got going there.

Did Stumpy do his 5k in NH?

TammyinGP

Nice job by everyone! Quickadder, we had a crazy traffic jam before the 2009 Rock-n-Roll Seattle Marathon, the inaugural of that race. Several of us were going in two cars and got stuck in traffic forever! We got to the start and jumped into a later corral and made it but geez that was close. Nothing like a big accident and total highway closure though.

oh yes, how could I forget! It was typical Seattle traffic but still it was gridlock in some places. That was a bit of a frantic start and I know I was a couple corrals back from where I was supposed to be. But since it was my first marathon, it was all new, exciting and nervewracking at the same time.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I registered for the half as an incentive to keep me training over the winter. Didn't work. . So I dropped down to the companion 5K about 2 weeks ago. There was a little nor'easter leading up to Sunday and I think the weather was a factor in what looked like a reduced field.  the course for both races spend a lot of time along the ocean and the seas were still high. not too bad during the 5k, but the tide was coming in as the half progressed. Those runners had to contend with some pretty impressive breaks over the seawall.

Whatever used to pass for speed seems to have disappeared, but I was hoping that I could keep my pace under 9 m/m. Managed that for the first mile, but didn't hold on well.  I will say it's sort of fun to share the course with the half folks as I got to do a lot of passing  .

Anyway, I finished 28:57 (barely meeting 2nd goal of seeing a 28 in my finish) 94 of 320, and 3 of 12 in 60-69 AG  for my first ever official AG finish. Go a nice pair of fleece gloves and a fleece beanie.   The fast guys must have been weather wimps so I'll take the old "you can only run against the ones that show up".  It appeared that around a 100 people that registered didn't show.

I typed the first part on my tablet and it's excruciatingly slow and i still haven't figured out how to copy and paste. Anyway, the Relive of the race.  https://www.relive.cc/view/g18442711113.

and also a compliment to everyone else's races that were longer and faster than mine.  (Looking at you, Spinach   )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

No time to comment but I enjoyed reading - nice racing, folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."