Masters Running

Tax Trot - Flushing MI (Read 246 times)

Summary 57:20 – 9:15/mi 42/72 OA 3/3 AG The highlight of this race was meeting up with Debbie (dg) and Larry (hallar). We got some good visiting in both before and after the race. There were three distances, 5K, 10K, and 15K. Debbie did the 5K, I did the 10K, and Larry the 15K. Since this is further than I go for most races, I felt I would be lucky to see one or two of the people I normally see but I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a few. It was a nice day, about 40°, with a little wind, and it was sunny. The course was flat and looped through nice residential areas. I figured I’d be happy with a pace around 9:30 and ecstatic with something close to 9:00. I did a little warm up with Debbie and wasn’t feeling bad at all but not feeling like it was going to be fast. There were separate starting lines for the races and, after a short bit, they came together for a loop that was done once, twice, or three times, depending on the distance you were running then a short bit back to the finish line. Debbie started ahead of me and ran a little faster than me so I never saw her during the race. Larry started a ways behind me and easily passed me during the first lap, looking strong. I never felt strong but never felt bad, either. I just sort of plodded along passing a few people and having a few pass me. My splits ended up as 9:13, 9:38, 9:24, 9:19, 9:07, 8:59, and a pace of 8:25 for the last fraction. It was nice to see several of my friends at the finish line. I found Debbie and she was a little unhappy with her time. I think she felt a little better after I explained that, with a gun start, you lose time getting to the starting line so you’ve really done better than the official results show. It was neat when we found out she had been first in her AG. It wasn’t long before Larry came in. Before the race, he mentioned some problems and that he wasn’t going to go all out. However, he still finished the 15K with a pace around 7:30. The unfortunate thing was that, as fast as he was, his age group had some ridiculously fast people and he ended up 4th and just missed an award. A couple of my other friends got AG awards so that was nice. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get my speed back to what it was a year or two ago, but I’m not real competitive and am not disappointed with what I did. It was neat to see some of my friends do well and, as usual, enjoy the camaraderie. TomS
      I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get my speed back to what it was a year or two ago, but I’m not real competitive and am not disappointed with what I did.
      Not competitive? Somehow that doesn't sound like you, Tom. But in any case, I'm sure you'll get your speed back. I was worried myself about the same thing, especially after effectively taking all of last year off, but it's starting to come back bit by bit. Nice that you got to meet dg and the others, too. I'm still planning on driving "up north" some day to challenge you on your home turf, so be on the lookout. And don't worry too much about your results. You were still ahead of 40% of the entire field, so you're running faster than a lot of the younger folks. And your reports are always a pleasure to read.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

nowor

Tom, Overlooking mi 2 you sped up and finished cranking. That sounds like good running to me. I know you had a good time w/ RA friends and others...you always do.
        SteveP

Sweet that you got together with Debbie and Larry!!!! It seems to me that you have your priorities straight. I look forward to your RRs.

SteveP

Nice meeting up with you again Tom and also great meeting Debbie. Folks Tom has great form and really enjoys these races no matter what the speed. I could tell who he was from a 1/4 mile back. What a friendly guy and even down in my neck of the woods he seemed to know more people than me! Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice racing Tom.... Seems that RA Masters group was well represented at the Tax Trot. I'll second what nowor said you had a nice pace going, then hammered it home in the second half of the race.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Slo

Tom, Very nice race. Congrats on the AG........I love reading your reports, especially how you include running into the people you know and reporting on how they finish as well. There's never a bad race is there!
                Mariposai

How lucky of dg and hallar to have the blessing of spending time with you. Great race and congrats on the AG. Smile You are one sweet man I hope I have the chance to meet someday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Thanks for the report. Great to see those splits, even though you didn't feel fast you did well picking it up towards the end. You do have the right attitude. Congrats on the AG award.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Great report Tom and nice racing out there! Echoing others, I too enjoy your reports and the fun you alway seem to have at them! congratulations on well run race!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome that you were able to meet up with some RAers and some other friends as well as run a great race - sounds like a terrific day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on another good race, Tom. Hey, did any of you three manage to take any pictures? If so, where are they? If not, why not? Clowning around

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Hey Tom, we had the same pace. You just happened to do double the mileage. Smile. Nice how your miles kept speeding up. And very nice going for "just plodding along"! Roll eyes This really was fun. It was nice getting to talk a little longer than the 2 seconds we had in Detroit. It was also nice meeting your friends, what a great bunch. Please thank them for being so helpful & supportive. Thanks especially to you, for your patience, support & discretion! (Um, Carolyn, my camera was in Montana.) Back to Tom... congratulations on another good race, your continuing racing streak, & thanks for your RR.
                              great splits Tom - sounds like a wonderful RA meeting and a fun day!!

denise

Hill Runner

Tom, you have a great attitude about running that I admire. It's great that you got to run with dg & haller. You always seem to enjoy your races.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13