Masters Running

Weekly Newbies Starting June 25th (Read 444 times)

Here I am in San Diego opening a new thread for the newbies. Did a 4 mile extremely hilly run yesterday with Kim. My sisters house (where we are staying) is on top of a mountain in a mountainous area. The view from the top of this mountain was incredible! I wanted to keep running and running just to see the view. It was hilly and some killer up hills. But Kim and I ran the whole thing and felt good at the end. Zoo today and will do my pilates tape tonight. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Morning Laurie - Thanks for starting a new thread! The kids & I went to visit my mom on the weekend - nice visit Smile So, I've been gone, busy & lazy.. did a nice walk with my mom on Saturday, but that's been it. Have to get moving, but no motivation at all.. my arm/neck/shoulder is much better on the anti-inflammatories, almost wish I could just stay on them forever. (not really, but I do feel much better on them). Laurie - ahh San Diego so beautiful Smile Enjoy the zoo - I love going to the San Diego Zoo! not so easy now that we live far, far away. We are going to So. California at the end of July, my dad & stepmom want to take the kids somewhere fun... I'm thinking the zoo, DD is thinking Disneyland, & DS who knows? lol
        Linda, good news. Have you tried running yet? I would vote for zoo. Not as expensive as disney and more relaxing, family friendly (we brought a picnic) and educational. About to head out on a 4 mile run. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Laurie, thanks for starting a new thread. how's San Diego? it's so cool you got a chance to go there. What a great run. It was your turn to have a vacation! Have a safe trip home. what pilates tape do you do?......... Linda, I'm glad you're able to relax a little bit. I think that's a big part of it. (healing). How are things now? I can see where it would be hard to have motivation... besides the fact that you have been going through some variation of this over & over & over... for years, now with discs in your neck involved, it must be so hard to know what to do! I'd think you'd always be wondering if you were going to do something to bother them. Is walking still working? Are you still getting any PT? How are things with DS? Is it easier when school is out? Eliz & Mike, are you ok? Hi Joni. Hi Roberta. would love to hear how you're doing. Kevin, you've had some zippy runs lately. yay. Sorry I haven't been around much. I'm not keeping up with things very well lately. Running was going pretty well, I told you I did 6 miles last Sunday, which was a mile + increase for my longest run since injury. don't think I mentioned that my right foot was hurting a lot before i started the run... it usually does, but it almost always stops hurting while I walk to warm up. didn't this time, but thought it'd be ok. Ok, I dont' know if I really thought it would be ok. Actually I thought it was nuts, but I'd been looking forward to this run so much, & you know how you arrange your whole week around it. It was just the second time by the river this year. So I did it & was happy but haven't been able to run since. hard to walk. Think it's something new on top of my usual foot stuff, but am not sure. Tomorrow i see a podiatrist. I'm grateful to have the gym, have been doing the elliptical, etc. Funny, I'd just been thinking lately how blissful it was to be running again, & how this time i really really wasn't going to blow it. Well. I'm hoping this will be short term. And to be fair, it really wasn't a running injury. (though that last run might not have helped it). I'll tell you how I did it another time, but better go get busy. Sadie's not washing the floors even though I asked her very nicely. hope you're all having a good weekend.
          Rindaroo

Hi Debbie - so sorry about your foot, hope its something minor. Good luck at the podiatrist. Well here's the thing, we need to pay attention to that thought in our head telling us its not a good idea to push it. Its so, so, so hard! But, really its necessary. I think both of us know that we always push it too much, so trustyourself, ok? Re my DS, yes things are much easier in the summer. He is helping DH some. doing projects & earning money, and hanging out with a good friend a lot. Not having the pressures of school really helps. I am feeling better & better.. I think these anti-inflammatories are really helping Smile In fact, they seem to be helping the bronchials too. I went 3 days last week with no asthma meds at all.. a miracle I tell you. Today we have LOTS of smoke from the No. Calif fires, but it didn't bother me at all. And guess what I did yesterday?? I actually ran a little Smile it was so exciting I tell ya. I walked the hilly loop, and then I ran 1/2 a mile, and then walked 1/2 mile back. almost 2 miles in total. was going for another loop, but nerve was talking to me, so I stopped. Feeling fine today, cleaned the house, went swimming a bit with DD, and had some company over too. So, I'm hoping to try some more running this week. Laurie - looks like I'm getting outvoted on the zoo Sad DS is agreeing to Disneyland, so looks like we may be doing that with my stepmom one day when we're in Socal. I can't imagine my dad going at this point, but you never know. We may be pushing him in the wheelchair.
            dg.

Linda, that's the best news!! Cool thanks. Smile. (yeah, I know. we'll talk about that later. Wink )
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Linda! I made it 2 miles on the HS track this morning, and my ankle felt OK. I could feel a twinge after some lunges at my Y class while ago, though, so I stopped early. I don't think I should do lunges for a couple of weeks! My total running in June was only 23.5 miles, which is fewer than what I've been running each week. Oh, well, I keep telling myself that I'm in this for the long haul!! Have a great week! Teresa
                Rindaroo

Guess what? I did 2 miles on the treadmill this morning, ok yeah it was a run/walk, but still very pleased Smile walked .5, ran .5, walked .25, ran .25 walked .5 so .75 of a mile running... am going to try to get back to my early morning workout schedule. 2 days a week, & some outside on the weekend. oh yeah, 50 crunches on the ablounger too.
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

great news, Linda!! Slow and steady starts once again Smile everyone else taking a long summer break? haven't seen a bunch of folks on here in a while. And I'm not going to name names, 'cause I'm sure to miss someone vitally important, but you know who you are Wink My running is getting better slowly, although I did skip my normal Tuesday today, due to simple lack of sleep. With a bunch of rest days each week, I can be a little flexible. Just have to get to bed early tonight so 4:45 won't feel quite so painful. Night all Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Deb, My guess is shoes. How old are you runner shoes? Are you getting orthotics? Linda, too bad about the zoo. We had a great time there. I can email you the pics if you want. Youre recovering just fine. Whats the word on surgery? I got an email from Mike. He is doing well and found a house so hopefully he'll be back to running and updating us soon. I have not run yet this week. Sunday was a travel day from San Diego back here. I got home at 1am. Monday I went to a cruise night with my sort of bf. It was my birthday and he totally forgot. I even gave him gifts from San Diego. Tuesday rest day. Wed long open water swim which left me dehydrated and worn out on the beach. I had no energy left so I just lay there. Dinner out Wed night with bf. I was dressed nice and was on top of the world to be out. He was in jeans and a t shirt and didnt seem to care where he was or who he was with. Then last night he talks me into taking a martial arts class. It was supposed to be something we both were going to do together. But he never showed up. He ended up watching a few minutes of the class and then took off. Today I wanted to run the 4th of july 5k downtown but cant since I have to drive DD to work. So there you have it. I am in a funk and want to just put my ipod on and run alone as far as I can before I drop dead. I want to put everyone and everything in my life aside and do nothing but train for the cape cod half. But of course I cant do that. Eliz, are you out there? Hows your summer going? Laurie

Rindaroo

Laurie - {{{hugs}}}} sorry about the BF stuff. That stinks. Although I have to say, my hubby is a tshirt & jeans guy & I accepted it a long time ago. He hardly ever dresses up & can't figure out why I'd want to. He has other qualities that make up for it Smile No surgery as of now at least. The doc wanted to try the anti-inflammatory pills & see if it worked. It seems to be working, so I'm in a hoping it'll heal mode. I miss Mike. Glad to hear he's doing well Smile Hi Kevin - nice to hear from you! Yes slow & steady again, & I'm SO happy I can do that at this point. Debbie - Hey there! how are you doing? I'm sure I didn't answer all your questions as usual. I'm doing well on the anti- inflams feeling back to normal, but I haven't really been able to get off them yet. patience, patience I guess. Today I did a run/walk in my hilly neighborhood, 3 loops plus a teeny bit.. which equates to 3 miles, 1 mile of it running. Big grin We also went to the 4th of July parade, the kids dragged me.. lol.. I ended up having to go in my running clothes. bit it was fun. I live in a town that some might of heard on the news, I don't know how far it was reported. But the "naked lady" (as she's referred to around here) was going to march in the parade in just a G-string, was turned down by the town, & I guess she even agreed to show up with clothes on... so not too much excitement at the parade....
                          Linda, good news. We are all in hoping you will heal mode. Lets all email Mike and Eliz and tell them we miss them. Injured hamstring at the martial arts class. Now I am sitting on bengay and wrapped up. And I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow with running partner. That should be fun. I am so tired of injuries. I should never have taken that class. Whahhhhh Laurie

Hi, guys, Sorry I went AWOL without a word. All kinds of carp broke loose the last day of school and I've been pretty shell-shocked by it all. Don't really want to go into the specifics until a little more dust settles, but it's been rough - didn't do any exercise at all for almost two weeks, except for a few very short paddling excursions. Good news is that I may actually be moving to my beloved seashore within the next 6 months! Walked 4 miles on the 4th - hey, just put the two 4's together - and managed a fairly vigorous 2-hour kayak trip yesterday. At home overnight tonight, so I'm going to try another 4 miles (or maybe more) of walking early in the morning before I swing by the allergists' and then head back to the shore. Only 12 weeks until the Philly Distance Run HM, so I better get off my butt and get moving soon! Thanks for the shout-outs. I've definitely been thinking about you guys and promise to catch up with everyone on the board soon. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

lswife

Hi, Everyone! Glad to hear of your runs and the distances - good for all of you. I'm still here but have turned into a "virtual runner," meaning, it's all in my imagination anymore. My stupid foot and still PF (since February). Two rounds of anti-biotics, two cortisone shots (I had to use my childbirth breathing to get get through those), five weeks of physical therapy, over-the-counter orthotics . . . and I still have pain, enough to cause me to limp practically all day long. I return to the podiatrist in about 10 days to see if this is chronic Cry or if professional orthotics would be guaranteed. So, I run only in my mind as my foot hurts too much. Now I'm doing water aerobics and stationary cycling. But I'm with all of you, in spirit at least, and enjoy reading your posts. Last week someone stopped at the end of our driveway to ask for directions, and when I heard him call, I turned and jogged out the distance - not far, 60' or so, but it felt SO GOOD to run. Keep running and keep posting - I'm with all of you, cheering you on. Roberta
                                eliz, well theres some good news hidden in there. I hope you do take a job on the coast. I think you'd be happier. I think a woman from my club is running the Philly Distnance run. I hope you get to enjoy your summer. Tell us the work story some day. I took Sat and Sun off from running due to the hamstring injury. Glad I did. Today it feels good so I did some stretching and pilates. Tomorrow I will test it out on a short run. Trip to the beach today with sort of bf. Its on and off with him. Right now on. Roller coaster ride is what it is. Laurie