Masters Running

Friday, 1.6.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow - busy day here yesterday!

Good workouts yesterday by BerthaSlayer (butt-freezing 10K), Marj (some walking), Stumpy (3.8 mi), C-R (4 mi., easy), Tramps (6 mi.), Holly (4 mi, TM), TW (35 min. Greenway, 40 min. pool run), Catwhoorg (6 mi.), TwoCat (eliptical), Dave (gym day), Paul (6 mi, TM), Enke (1 mi to preserve the streak), and Mike (4 mi, TM).

Lots of funny and informative discussions about screen names - good stuff!

C-R - DW has been on a GF diet for about 7 years because of pasty stomach issues. I went on it too about 5 years ago because it didn't make sense for us each to be eating differently. It is a lot easier now than it was even 7 years ago because there are so many more choices at grocery stores and most restaurants. So good luck if you go that route, and let me know if you need any help.

Great photos of the kids, Cartwhoorg!

Welcome back, Lamerunner. Bummer about the persistent knee issues, and about DS's eye. I'm glad he is adjusting, and hope the transplant does the trick, when it can be scheduled.

Good for you, Janie.b for heading back to work so your DH can enjoy his retirement. You must love that guy.

I liked the way Mike followed up his TM run!

I also wonder where Tet and TSelbes are?

It's interesting to see the different ways people are dealing with ramping up in the new year, setting/adjusting goals, and dealing with less-than-ideal conditions, including snow, cold, wind, and illnesses. Just remember that you don't have to make everything happen in the 1st week of the year, and that the weather and aches and pains will pass if you just be patient.

I went 6.3 easy walking miles this AM in a light swirling snow that just dusted the roads. At 2 different spots, there was some very slick ice under the snow that was unseeable, and I barely managed to stay upright. After stretching and a shower, I had BWB (breakfast with the boss) at our favorite dive before heading off to the office.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

..mornin' jay.......

....we were supposed to get a ''Dusting'' of snow last night,

well,

so far we have 3-Inches of ''Dusting''

tell fatozzig My Streak may have Ended..............meh.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Lame—good to hear from you.  I hear it’s good snow in NH this year.  That’s some challenge your son is facing, though.  Best to both of you; his eye, your knee.

Catwhoorg—Quite the interesting back story.  I like your “standing by my words” approach.  Seems more important than ever today.

Mike—you make me laugh.

Twocat—Lost work sucks.  Even a small loss bugs me when it happens.

Spacity—when I hear “spa city,” I think Saratoga Springs, NY.  Not sure why; I’ve never even been there.  There must be others, too, competing for the title.

Jay—It’s interesting how this varies.  Down here winters generally aren’t the “tough weather” season; summer is.  That July/August heat and humidity is a killer, while I love the current 30s weather.

TW—You got our forecasted dusting.  We didn’t get any snow at all last night but now they’re saying an inch or so coming tonight.  Still haven’t seen a snowflake all season, though.

I love the serendipity of iPod shuffle.  Started off today’s run with the old Velvet Underground tune, “Run, Run, Run”; another non-running running song.  I needed the help since I inexplicably felt very low-energy today.  Got my scheduled 9-miler done, though. Whew.

Be safe. Be kind.

so far we have 3-Inches of ''Dusting''

Up in this neck of the woods, that IS a "dusting", though I know GB is much better prepared to deal with this stuff, than where you are Tom. Good luck! Did the hardware store sell out on shovels?  I may have to send you my DH's YaxTrax, seeing as how he's not wearing them anyway

Glad you didn't slip and fall this morning Jay. Hidden ice can be treacherous! And thanks again for the most excellent recap.

It's been so cold here (sorry Erika, I have to whine a little) the past week. Below zero temps with winds of 15-20 mph making it feel like -35 to -40 below zero. And the kids can't go out for recess...  I was tired of fighting people for treadmills all week so I "slept in" until 5:00, then went down the basement and jumped rope for 20 minutes and did 25 of weights and core stuff.

On the good news front, I took DS#2 to our local running store and bought him a pair of shoes. He's been to the gym 3 times this week and has signed up to run a half marathon with me this May. I hope he sticks with this healthy eating/exercise routine because I know it will really help his issues with depression.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup on the menu at school today. A perfect day for comfort food! Have a great Friday everyone.

mrrun

Morning all!

Our dusting is just over an inch, which is fine.  We're supposed to get more tomorrow and of course that's when everyone's coming over for Hanukkah (first open date for all).  Ran 3 very slow in the snow making sure I didn't slip or slide as there wasn't enough for yak trax

It's fun reading everyone's postings - have a great day and w/e,

marj

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

We only got a dusting. Only one mile today to keep my streak alive. On the treadmill.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

..20-min X-Bike Standing

and

will ''dust off'' NordicTrak for afternoon Work-Out

...........good, Running, or Whatever Work-Outs guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Friday is usually a swimming day at the Y for me, but it was only 4 degrees when I got up, and I just didn't feel like braving that with wet hair.

3 miles on the TM with some fartleks (as I try to figure out how to set up an interval program), followed by 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Thanks Jay. I will take you up on that via PM. Looking for some ideas for recipes. No one else in family seems to be at issue so I will need meals that are a little larger where I can get an add to the protein vs the normal starch choices.

1 mile today on the treadmill with 30 min on the bike. Swimming tonight. Yes a friend has discussed a small tri this spring.

We had a 2" dusting but temps dipped into the negatives today. Oh boy.

Stay warm people.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

our dusting topped out at close to 2 ft at our place, about 1ft at the valley floor level of Grants Pass. Highest record snowfall for a 48 hr period since 1919. And today is another record breaking day for coldest weather on record. I don't think I can handle so much monumental record breaking all at once! Right now, at almost 11:00 is about 10 degrees. real feel -3.   David is home again from school - school was cancelled all week due to snow then icy conditions and several people out on the county that have been without power for days now. We were very fortunate to be spared power outages, although we do have 2 generators, so certainly would have fared better than most.

I had DH drive me into work today though. The fun of the snow has worn off since it's now just crunchy and icy. David is still having fun though because now his big sled run he's been working on has iced over so is even faster.

Tomorrow I have a 10K race "The Frostbite Run". isn't that appropriate!  Hopefully I'll make it there because I really don't want to miss not only my Resolution Run on New Years Day, but then miss a race once week later?? Not how I want to start out 2017. Tonight is calling for more freezing/icy rain but then by tomorrow afternoon, we have a huge wet system coming in that will also bring close to 50 degree temps. We are going from record snowfall to floods in 48 hrs.

I've been without internet at home for a couple days, so I need to go catch up on the last couple dailies.

Tammy

Henrun

Having my second cold of the season. First one last month affected my sinuses. This one giving me laryngitis. Had to cancel my PT appointment this am since I felt so lousy. Since my surgery and lack of usual aerobic exercise my immunity is poor. Despite this, still getting my walking in. Sun out this afternoon and got rid of the dusting of snow. Felt a bit better and went for one mile walk.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{C-R}}} - I love gluten.......

Tammy - wow, that is some serious weather stuff!  I am a full-on winter-weather-race wimp.  I usually avoid racing until the spring, if at all possible.  There is a Frostbite 5 mile race on 2/5/17 that I am supposed to run, but it is at 2pm on a Sunday - that is my power-nap-before-the-work-week time!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tell fatozzig My Streak may have Ended..............meh.........

I don't streak - with or without clothes.

I love gluten, too.  The talk of gluten reminds of this.

When I was still awake at 12:30 this morning, I knew I wouldn't be getting up at 4:30 to run, so it'll be a Sat//Sun run instead of Fri/Sat.  Hopefully I can get home in time to get a core/ST workout done.

We don't have snow here on the coast, but it's definitely in the hills around us, and it's been well below freezing for the last couple of nights with no end in sight and lots and lots of rain in the forecast.  I have plants that have probably had their last bit of life sucked out of them.

Have a great week.  Stay warm, and if you can't stay warm, stay safe.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Our "dusting" since last week has been more like Tammy's and with the winds we had yesterday there's a lot of drifting to clean up. Our parking lots on campus are still a mess with the facilities folks on leave last week. You'd think they'd bring them in to get ahead of it, but maybe with the budget cuts they just weren't going to pay for that. Well, I think they're paying for overtime now!

Temps dropped like a rock last night and it was -23° on the way in to work today. Brrrr (and that's not windchill). We got home late last night but I managed 4.1 on the treadmill. Tonight will be another treadmill run of at least 5 miles, we'll see.

lamerunner

Thanks everyone for the greetings! and Happy Friday. Pretty snowy so far in both NH and VT, which is good. As far as the DS's eye, we don't know really where or how he got it; the only thing which made sense was that he used to wear contacts. Typically contact wearers can get these types of infections if they leave contacts in and put their head in sketchy water. It is very unusual in North America.  The doc had lots of questions about travel when he first saw him; it was all places like Vermont, Quebec, Minnesota etc for ski races... so contacts and bad luck I guess.

I did run this morning, about 6 on a snowy rail trail in Morrisville VT. I also did yoga at lunch, not well, but it did it. I managed a swim last night of about 1400 meters too. Knee is achy but it was ok running, at least today. Back to NH for the weekend.

Erika, stay warm!

Henrun, I hope your recuperation is going well.