Masters Running

Saturday 04/05/12 - A West Coast Start (Read 41 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Heme, it's lucky cell phones work on your trails so you could call your DH!  Nice run!

Twocat, if you couldn't keep up with your club runners, they really must be speedy!  I've kind of given up running with the local trail running group here because they always leave me behind, too.

Sounds like Posie finished the Yakima Canyon marathon!  Too bad Troy couldn't have buzzed her with his plane!

Nice racing, Norm, and congrats on the PR!  Smile

I'm tired of running on the dirt roads around here all winter, and I've been looking forward to getting back out on the trails.  Today I did a 7 mile trail loop in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, and it's still pretty snowy up high, but it was nice to be out in the woods!  Tomorrow I'm going to run a trail that's a little further down the canyon and hope there's less snow there.  We got 2" of snow last night, but it had mostly melted by the time I headed out to run.   Spring can't be more than a month or two away!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Twokitty - Big grin

C-R - My mom loved horses and always wanted one.  My dad said when she was young, her parents told her one year they were getting her a horse for Christmas.  Christmas came . . . and it was a toy.  She was heartbroken and never forgot.  When my parents were financially able, she got her horse and loved every minute she was able to ride.  Unfortunately, her rheumatoid arthritis didn't let her spend more than a couple of years riding, and it was a very sad day when she had to give Ginger up.

Congrats to Posie!

And Congrats to Dove for finishing AR50!!

14 muddy miles and a lesson in poor nutrition planning. Tried something new - ugh!

Regardless of the fact fruit pies have a whopping 425 calories and, thus, half of one gets you most of your needed calories in an hour and Karen and Kate can eat these things while running like they're going out of style, for me it was wrong, wrong, so very wrong. Which equaled low nutrition and a slog fest from about Mile 9 on. Oh well. Live and learn.

Will go back to my tried and true Aussie Bites, avocado and turkey sandwiches, and chocolate covered graham cracker cookies.

Ultra Running - where you get to guiltlessly (is that a word?) eat whatever you want . . . almost.

. . . . off to find more food . . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

I am just got back from the Yakima River marathon. What a fun day I had. The weather was perfect, except the strong wing we encountered here and there when the canyon wall was not protecting us. (Troy, sorry that you could not find a place to land, it would have been fun to see you there, but wise move on the judgement with the wind. It was very strong. For old time sake, I will write a race report tomorrow.

Tetsujin, you were right, the view of this course is stunning from mile one to 26.2 and beyond. I miss you there!

Off to find something healthy to eat for dinner.

Ohh, did I already mentioned how fun was to run this marathon course? You can call me happy mariposai.

Big grin

A teaser for what is to come

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Mariposai,

That is a fantastic photo...looking forward to the report.

Troy

TammyinGP

beautiful photo nancy!  Glad you had a fun day!

I had a carpy 19 miler today. I should have ran 21, but I think I didn't fuel properly or my mind wasn't it in or something. I just really had a hard time and ended up doing collectively maybe a mile worth of walking. it was off and on rainy, off and on windy. Part of the route I ran today though is my first leg of the relay in June. I've driven the route many many times, but first time running it. A few rollers here and there, but nothing too bad.

ran the 19 miles in 3:04. Had a couple 10 min miles towards the end but otherwise stayed right around mid 9's.

Oh and I ran in my new Brooks Ghosts that I bought yesterday. they sure are light compared to my Gel Nimbus I've been running in for 3 yrs!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I hope posie met my friend Rosa Hill around mile 22 and got to run a mile or so with her. ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... .thanks for the dove update, leslie. I love her new hat. Have you run American River too? ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... .. , you are a wise pilot and runner former tiptoe boy troy. However, in about 20 years you'll probably realize marathons can be pretty fun, if not more so, even when you're not in whatever marathon shape is. Smile - ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... go blue, it's about time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Tet, I really should have just gone and walked the thing. It never would have even occurred to me to enter a marathon if I couldn't run pretty much the whole thing, I guess I just need to change my mindset. I could certainly have finished in less than 6 hours, so I just missed a perfectly good opportunity to do a marathon I've always wanted to do. I'll try to be less finicky next time an opportunity comes my way. Too many years as a competitive athlete, I still feel like I need to be in some semblance of running shape to bother, even though I often run marathons as training runs if I'm not geared specifically for that one...so I should just do that no matter how slow it will be...

evanflein

There ya go, Troy, gotta get you started thinking like a maniac!

Can't wait to hear how posai did on her marathon and would sure like to hear from Dove!

We've had temps in the upper 20's/low 30's for days now, and a pretty brisk wind (nothing like what Troy is used to but more than us interior folks like!) so it wasn't too hard to convince me to run on the TM  today. So... 8.2 miles mostly GA pace with 3 x .5 mile @ 8:00 pace just to mix it up a bit.

janie b good

I took Saturday as an unplanned rest day... tired.  could have been the wine from late last night (Friday).

btw, two cat, i'm in Ohio.

tammy-- 19 miles can never be called carpy.  it's 19 miles... 19!  19 is always fabulous.  always.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.