Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.24.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (6+ miles with blinky lights at 5AM, + 15 min of weights)
    Henrun (2.7 mile reservoir loop miles with a sore back)
    Marj (5 miles along the Charles, watching the fog go)
    Dave59 (4 pre-rain miles)
    Holly (30 min of weights & core)
    Mike (11.5 miles, including 6 X 400s + 3 X 1.5 miles)

Metalmancpa (6.4 EZ miles at 9:03 pace)
    Twocat (10 Monday morning miles)
    Evanflein (5.2 EZ-ish dark evening miles)
    Mariposai (3 post-work miles)

Let the candy wars begin! There was more talk about candy and costumes than running yesterday, and Halloween is still almost a week away!

Give me hand-made chocolate truffles any day and I’ll be very, very happy; maybe it's time for me to make some again - it's been a while. Otherwise, Lindt balls can work too (Lindt is nearby, and has factory outlet store in the area - dangerous). Halloween? We get the 2 kids from across the street, and the 2 from next door. Living on a curvy road with no sidewalks, few street lights, and houses set somewhat far apart keeps folks away on Halloween.

Nice work in your 10K on Saturday, Tammy, and great job of holding off #5 in your AG.

Opus, could you come and replace the spring on our garage door? We're still waiting for Overhead Door Co. Good luck foraging this week…

Funny story about how you became a Maniac, Holly.

Good attitude, Metalman!

Wow, Deeze - what an emotional and physically draining marathon you chose for your last. You deserve that 10-14 day break.

We got our picture post installed yesterday - ahead of the heavy winds and rain expected later today through tomorrow. I'll post pictures of the picture post if I can figure out how to post pictures here again.

7.2 RW miles at 4AM in ridiculously mild 61° temps. I did negative splits for each of the miles, starting in the mid-12s, and finishing in the upper 10s, with the last .2 as a c/d. I shouldn't have worked that hard with a half on Sunday, but I was having a good time, and I'm planning on a rain-out rest day tomorrow, so I figured I could get away with it. I guess I'll find out.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Quickadder

Up early for 5@5 with DD and she calls in sick! Tempted to head back to bed but decided to head out the door instead. Beautiful clear sky and 57F with humidity only 69%. 7.5 miles at 9:27 pace before daybreak. Now extra coffee and head to work.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

I never reported on my miles yesterday!  6.3 with 4 of them on the 1 mile path at Cooper Aerobics Center and then I ventured off campus despite some busy roads to cross for the final miles.  It was a gorgeous morning.   My 3 outside mornings in Dallas were 73, 63 and 53 degrees.

TODAY-  I am encapsulated at the Grand Hyatt IN the DFW airport but the fitness center is gorgeous with brand new Precor treadmills with a view of all the lights of DFW airport all the way to downtown Dallas.  Not bad.  This treadmill felt faster than my good Landice at home.   5.5 miles done now off to lawyer meetings.  

Our evening function last night was at Jerry World, aka ATT Stadium, which is truly an amazing structure.  It just boggles one’s mind how it ever got constructed.  The Jumbotron is 7 stories in size.   I enjoyed the facility while I followed my Philadelphia Eagles on their way to victory.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning everyone.  Plan is to go out for 5 in a few minutes.  Need to get a few things done first.

Coastwalker - nice (early) RW.  I don't mess with the springs!  Those things can hurt you if you aren't paying attention.  Mine broke last year and I had the pros take care of it.  Sorry you can't get anyone to respond.  That seems to be all too common these days.

Deez - wow!  What perseverance.  I'm glad you were able to finish without ending up in the med tent.  Sounds like really tough conditions too.

Mike E - nice workout with the team.  This is the last week with my kids, as we have Regionals on Saturday.  One of them has a decent chance at states, so I may have another week in there.  Good luck with your team.

Metalman - good luck as you do the final prep.  Yeah, I can't see you being nervous or apprehensive.

Tammy - great job on the 10K.  Nice finish.

fattozig - your "beanbag toss" story made me laugh.  I always tell my wife "I hate kids" (jokingly).  But since ours are well into adulthood and on their own (no grandkids yet), we aren't around little ones very often.  So I don't do well with the chaos when  kids are around.  Of course, I don't do well around people in general, according to DW.

Holly - that's a bummer about your first marathon.  Though it looks like you got over it quite well.  My 3rd (and a dedicated BQ attempt that had reasonable chance at success) was snowed out...in Myrtle Beach, of all places!  After that, I couldn't find another race that fit my schedule, followed by a hip injury, followed by never getting closer to within 7 minutes of a BQ.  Considering another attempt at a marathon next year, but it's been 4 years since my last, so I'm not sure.

Quick - nice early 7.5  workout.

Falcon - I have a picture of #2 finisher from Saturday to send you.

RunnerKSA - well done getting out on your run yesterday and the TM today.  A long time close friend is a financial advisor in Dallas and recently moved his offices into Jerry World.   I was considering having him manage my retirement assets, but if he can afford digs in that place, maybe I can't afford his services!

OK, better get outside and run before the temps climb too much.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  I'm back from my OBX beach vacation, and we had a lovely time.  It was quite a wrench to come back to work this morning -- I'm glad I took yesterday off too for re-entry ...

Didn't do any running, but lots of beach walking.  And to my surprise, I caught several sunrises (I'm not really an early bird).

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TammyinGP

Hi All,

thanks for the comments on my race. 

I didn't report back in yesterday, but did run 3 miles after work. This is probably our last glorious week of fall weather. Might even hit 80 today! I'm only working til noon, then it's XC Districts day.  I'm working in one my offices that is just a few miles from the venue and the other coach and kids will be taking the bus.  I'll have about an hour of downtime before they arrive, so will probably go for my own run so I can get in some miles today. 

Then I should make it back up to David's HS in time for his senior presentation speech.  It's a graduation requirement and all seniors have to give an approx 15-20 min speech about their HS years, activities, community service, what kinds of courses they've been taking, their post HS plans for the next 5 yrs and if attending college, what they think they want to study, how they are going to pay for college, etc. David has a powerpoint presentation with his speech and I'm sure will give a good presentation. Public speaking comes easily to him and he's given many presentation on a large stage - both at state and national levels - but he says there are a number of seniors that are dreading this and really stressed out about it.   He's been spending a lot of time preparing for this and then he needs to hit it hard on the essays he needs to write for the OSU college app - which he's submitting next week. The Honors College essay will be a bit challenging. 

Each year a quote is highlighted as the focus of the essay. This year it's:

"There is a hidden presence of other in us even those we have known briefly.  We contain them for the rest of our lives, at every border we cross." Michael  Ondaatie, Divisadero.

and then the essay needs to focus on this:

1) Select one individual* whose work reflects the “presence” or influence of another, and describe how that individual built upon or extrapolated from the pre-existing works, methodologies, techniques, products, or ideas of their influence.
              2) Examine the significance of that influence and analyze how it changes or enhances the process or outcome

oy! glad it's him and not me!

Tammy

Back in from a fantastic run.  One of those days I wish I could bottle and open up again some time.  Goal was 5; 6 if all went well.  At 5 I felt like I was just getting loose, so I went for 6, but then just kept going and turned up the intensity. It's very rare lately for me to have a run with no pain or tweaks.  Finished with 7.0 miles at 9:03 pace.  Longest run of the year.  Hard to believe on a day like today I could barely run a mile in early August.  I guess that's what makes me keep at this "game."

HopesMom - We go to OBX a lot since it is so close and I love watching the sunrise over the ocean.  So peaceful.

Tammy - that's quite an assignment!  Good luck to him.  Good luck to your team - our big day is Saturday.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice run, Opus!!  Jealous.  I managed to rally enough energy to reset the alarm this morning for another hour of sleep.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Nice run, Opus!!  Jealous.  I managed to rally enough energy to reset the alarm this morning for another hour of sleep.

sometimes that's no easy feat either Stumpy! I should know - I tried to get more asleep after waking up at 4:00 am and just couldn't do it. I'm jealous of your sleeping skilz!

Tammy

Stumpy - thanks.  Believe me this type of run is an outlier.  And I've had several of these "teases" over the past couple of years that makes me think all is almost well...then reality sets back in!

I tried to find a rally flag for this comment, but just know my own personal rally flag is flapping like crazy! 

The Hub LOVES peanut M&M's

Opus - You and The Hub would get along famously.  He's not real crazy about people and social situations either.

2.45 miles this a.m. in about 30 min.  Still feeling good!  So far I'm keeping to my promise of no more than 30 min, 4-5 times a week, for a minimum of four weeks in order to build up my stamina.

2nd chiro appt today.  He found a spot on my hip - whoochee!   I'll be doing some foam rolling the next couple of days.  And for now, no adductor work as that appears to be a pain culprit.

Have a good one, friends ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - wow, that senior presentation sounds tough!

You know, I really love the large mint M&Ms that come out at Christmas, and the large peanut-butter filled ones - yum!

5 miles for me today on the TM before work watching Masterpiece "Endeavor" - anyone else love these?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

with it getting darker sooner I need to run at home instead of at work (my boss frowns on me taking my lunch hour an hour after I arrive ) so headed out at noon and pounded out 3 miles around the neighborhood.  Stiff breeze (20 mph) cool temps (60ish) and low humidity made for a bit of a speedy if not hard run.  12 m/m.  there are no flat areas in my hood...just up and down.  I dream of flat.  I tell myself I would be a much faster runner if it wasn't for all these hills 

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Opus - You and The Hub would get along famously.  He's not real crazy about people and social situations either.

And, yet, he was a fan favorite at the RA Meetup in Portland.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, yet another busy period is ongoing.  The other RW refugees are familiar but for the rest of y'all....I'm a colonel in the Air Force Reserve.  And a full-time Air Reserve Technician (ART) -- a civil service job (although we wear uniforms regardless).  So this year our unit has been busy, two readiness exercises as preparation for a readiness inspection along with a "paperwork" inspection .... and then a deployment to finish the year (I'm too old, and with too much rank to be allowed to deploy).  Plus I'm doing this in NC and my family is in Alabama.  I've only been able to visit home once this year.  Not whining, merely reporting.  Anyway, yesterday was 8.5 miles at an easy pace (running with a colleague) then taught spin on base after work.  Today I slept through the alarm, so ran at lunch solo.  As Opus said, nice conditions.  Decent run, 7.4 miles in just under an hour.  Taught spin after work, at the local Y on Tuesdays.  I'm a volunteer instructor there, but they do comp my membership.  They have an indoor Olympic pool that I should make more use of but never really have the time.

Opus, maybe I can help you with one meal this week.  Thursday would be out, there is an Airman Leadership School graduation and I'm sitting in for our wing commander.  I can text you my email.  Great run today BTW!

Evan, thanks.  That is a beautiful course.  The lookout point was spectacular.  You mentioned Bruce was on a streak, coincidentally I was about 4.5 years into a streak when I did that race.  The streak began on 20 Jan 2008 and ended on 18 Jan 2016 when I slipped on some black ice and when I went to get up my left foot didn't feel right....it wasn't, foot was dislocated (turned about 90 degrees out) and a broken tibia.

Metalman, good luck this weekend!  We've discussed this enough.  If you can do the same thing Sunday you did on your half this summer you're gonna be fine.  FWIW:  first 10 miles with your head, second 10 miles with your legs, last 10k with your heart.

Quick, nice run--glad the humidity is finally starting to go down for you.

Holly, great story about the marathon(s).

Maraposai, thanks--and I have to ask, what marathon in Ireland?  I was TDY and had an opportunity to do one in Germany (the week after doing one in Atlanta) and it was an amazing experience.

Missed the candy talk yesterday.  It's probably my biggest weakness.  It would be easier to list what I wouldn't eat!