Masters Running

Happy Mother's Day! Master Runs, Workouts, and Mom stuff (Read 450 times)

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there. You do so much for your children (and grand children where applicable!) - teaching them, raising them, loving them. Thanks to all of you (but most especially to my wonderful Mom). Today was Marathon Pace day and I knew it would be harder than normal. Our weekend has been very warm and humid - high of 92 yesterday and more of the same expected today. I don't run well in heat but I was determined to run it right regardless. 13.1 miles in 1:52:19 for an 8:34 min/mile pace. Right on the mark. I would not have been able to do this twice today - but only due to the weather. 74° and 80% at 5:30 AM. The pace seemed okay but the HR was high the last few miles. Give me about 20 less degrees in 2 weeks and we'll see! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy Mother's Day!!! Morning Bil. Off in a few minutes for an 25k run before coming back to bake a coconut cake for my mom and sister for mother's day. Heading up to my sisters for dinner with the family. Have a great day and run's. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

SteveP

Happy day to all Moms and Female mentors out there. I know that if it wasn't for my Mom, I'd prolly have never met my brother. She bought me my first cape Cry Bill, I live just outside Traverse City. I plan on working an aid station during the Bayshore and I work three miles where you pick up your pre race goodies. If you would like to get together, e mail me at smpankowski at hotmail dot com. A week ago Friday I really tweeked my back. Simply did something I knew I shouldn't do on a day off. Standing and walking is fine. Sitting has been tough. Every day is better than the day before.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

10 miles for me today (ave pace 9:46) – surprisingly sproinky, given the 20 miles I did yesterday. But today was 50° and no humidity. Perhaps my crash-and-burn yesterday was due more to the H&H than I realized. Off to shower and then pack a picnic lunch. We’re (DH, kids, dogs) going hiking and fossil hunting in a metro park that we haven’t been to before. Happy Mother’s Day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly S. nice 20 on the day prior to International Long Run Day! Hey, better muggy and warm than freezing and cold! About the gel, you may try taking them as frequently as you would during a race. Calorie burn has more to do with distance than speed. evanflein Plan B could be for the kids to do well enough to earn full rides someplace! Tell them to get cracking! Wink fatozzig what were you doing in Berkeley? I am heading out there on business a week from Monday. Napa is great! So is wine tasting. I am with your SIL. The heck with the run! Wink Enjoy the wine when you get to it. biketm wow 23 miles! But still a day early. Sorry, but officially today is ILRD. You have to do it again. Big grin Tallrunner congratulations on the 5k PR! I really hate it when people as fast as you show up to races I am in! I need to get your schedule and stay far, far away. Tongue Today is the local Mother's Day 10k. Some friends of mine ran it and they and I tried in vain to get my DW to run it. No luck. Anyway off she went a little bit ago on what I suspect is a 7 mile run. So why not get up a bit earlier and do the race? So, we had two late nights out in a row. What is sleeping compared to a race? Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Very nice MP run, Bill. Holly -10 miles on Sunday after 20 on Saturday??? I can't even imagine. 10 sloggy and slow miles for me. I guess I'm tired and sore from yesterday's yard work. With more of the same on the schedule for today. But the weather is beautiful, and the garden will look MUCH better at the end of this weekend than it did at the beginning. Happy Mother's Day!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

Good morning! Did 12 slide boarding minutes -- today I stepped up to 10 min. But I had a Warren Miller movie on the tele, and well, the first time I looked at my watch, I was 12 min in on the darn thing. I'm liking it, you could say. Big grin Renee and I will be out for a 2 mile walk tonight after an early evening Mother's Day dinner. Hope everyone enjoys their day! Off to church with the kids.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy Mother’s Day running, racing, recovering, and resting! Way to go with that run Bill! Sweet start to the thread too. My day started off with a 15-mile long run with Iron J—7:30 am and 52º---cloudy but lighter air after yesterday night’s t-storms. We felt good enough to run some of the middle miles at 7:30 pace and covered the course in 2:05 overall. A good run and a good week (although my body doesn’t know that it’s the end of the running week in my running log, so it’s almost silly to think that way). Way to get it done yesterday Holly. Craneium---you seem to be in fine form and there is the whole summer ahead. I need to check out the Rochester race schedule for when we are in town visiting the in-laws---an annual August Red Wings trek with some Red Sox in Toronto thrown in for good measure. Glad all went well Tim and nice run. Congratulations on the PR Tall Eliz, I am glad your shoulder is holding up and you can get back out there. Take good care. Nono--you made me laugh. I think I would get into slide boarding as well if a Warren Miller flick was on. Probably a great workout too. Off to treat my super-granny to lunch at her favorite spot. She said she told “the kids” not to get her anything for today. Her “kids” are aged 79-60—makes me chuckle. Our lilacs are extra lush this year, so I'll bring her a bouquet. The kiddo is making dinner for me tonight, so I have strict orders to be back by 5 pm. Over and out
                    Sounds like you had a rough run yesterday, Holly. I've been having a hard time catching up around here so I have to hear some stuff second hand. Roll eyes (nice run today as a follow up though) I got out of my comfort zone and ran some hills that PDR runs that I normally shy away from. They weren't so bad really, just one of them is visually intimidating. This was a couple of the hillier miles of the Frederick Marathon course (which we missed last weekend due to being out of town). I thought about asking people on the way if they saw any marathon runners, and telling them I got kind of a late start, but I decided not to be so goofy. 10.4 miles, 1:25:58, 8:14/mi, AHR 152 (78% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Just back from the 25k run. The northern wind was absurd..now for a stack of buttermilk pancakes and then to bake that cake. Cheers Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Happy Mother's Day Friends!! nice runs out there!! Bill, tall, holly - 10 after running 20 yesterday Shocked, tim and karin -- you are all amazing -- and anyone i left out too!! twocat - i am NOT participating in ILRD!! -- wish i could but not happening!!Wink went out yesterday evening with a friend planned for 6 but i stopped shy of that at my house cuz i felt crappy the whole run -- she finished down the street to her house so she got her 6 in at least...........not sure if it was the sudden humidity or the chocolate cake and cookies i ate at the 1st Communion party earlier in the day Blush but after the 1st 2 miles of an 8:55 and 9:05 pace I started getting very queezy and thought i was going to lose it..............walked a couple of times but at least managed to finish with a 9:40 avg pace. today - slept in really late.....going to lunch with my men then church and working tonight 7p-7a!

denise

Happy Mothers' Day to all you out there, Holly, PDR, CNY, Theresa, etal.....I need to call my Mom after this, before the Bloody Marys kick in. Wink 21.25 for me today. longest run of the year: miles 1-12 were rolling and relaxed, miles 12-20 were @ 7:55 for a 2:51:13. Then I shlugged a WD 1.25 walk/run. The MP miles were sproinky.....there was a nice low humidity nip in the air. Enjoy your Sunday, all. Walt.

King of PhotoShop

Well done Walt! Nice 25K "recovery" run Tall. Strong 30-mile weekend for Holly. About those gels, we have had this discussion here before, and I just want to once again respectfully disagree about the need for lots of gels and beans and stuff. Certainly on your training runs you can take these to see what your stomach can tolerate and what your body will respond to, but my position is that once I know those preferences I would rather do training runs with as little supplemental stuff as possible simply because you can train your body to function without it, and then when race day comes and you do use them, you will be far more comfortable and strong. Last time I said this Twocat replied "there are no studies." I say let your body be the study. Try doing those LR's with a minimum of aid and get yourself accustomed to running steadily after glycogen is depleted, just as you have to do toward the end of the marathon. You will be a far tougher marathoner on race day. 8 miles for me, 4 out and 4 back. Humid here and I felt sluggish on the way out, just slogging along at 9:45 pace, then at the turn I was disgusted with myself and ran back in 8:46, 7:59, 8:26 and 9:06, which made me feel a whole lot better. Spareribs
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I tend to agree with Spareribs. I ran only 3.2 miles with my newbie friend yesterday, but she was dying for water after only a couple! It wasn't even that hot. I think she's so used to running on a TM and drinking water constantly that it's hard to transition to running without it on roads. I didn't do the Mother's Day 5k that I've done the last two years, and I'm glad! VERY windy this morning. I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Last night, DH and I took our two boys to see Star Trek on IMAX. Wow, it was wonderful! The kids liked it, even though they've never watched the TV series. It's one of those movies I'd like to see again. I started watching the show in 1971, when I was in 4th grade. We thought it was a very "old" show! We had to see it every day after school, before we started homework.
                              Tramps

Perhaps my crash-and-burn yesterday was due more to the H&H than I realized.
                                I thought you loved that warm weather stuff? Tongue (Nice runs this weekend.) Byll--that just sounds nasty. Yuck. Nice job getting through it. Tall--heckuva 5K! Congrats. Karin--looks like Canes vs. Pens? That just seems wrong. Walt--nice job today! I agree with Ribs about gels; I dropped them last training cycle (except for a couple of test runs) and seemed to do fine. I always have a half a bagel and banana before a long run though. But I've got to disagree with Teresa. Water and gels are two different issues. I've got to ramp up my water intake significantly this time of year, otherwise I'm in trouble out there. I relearn this each Spring. For example, today I pushed it and had a Fuel Belt bottle (8 oz?) every three miles and that really wasn't enough. I'm taking down some old fencing on our property and my back was a little stiff from pulling up fence posts for a good chunk of the day on Saturday. So I decided to take it easy today and did 15.2 miles on the trails. Nice and easy--even slow--with a couple of stops to admire the views (and flick off the ticks Roll eyes ). Beautiful day. Can't seem to upload Garmin here anymore. I reloaded the Garmin Communicator and it shows fine on their test page. Confused That's okay. Now I can go back to just making up stuff.

Be safe. Be kind.