Masters Running

Wednesday June 17 Master Runs and Workouts ... (Read 424 times)

Remember recently when TimBo was complaining that his runs had been really bad and slow?  He (and we) assumed it was due to his recent job loss and the emotional reaction to it.  Perhaps there was more of a physical element involved also.  Here's hoping he bounces right back!

This morning I woke up and the legs felt fine.  The old adage was proved true again - about taking it easy for 1 day per mile raced.

So out I went for a soakfest.  10.1 miles at 8:31 pace.  This one felt good, though warm.  77.7° and 77% a nice symmetry to that.  I think I've finally stopped sweating an hour and a half later!

Last evening I got totally drenched after my guitar lesson going from the garage to the car parked in the driveway.  Torrential downpour, biblical really.    My guitar teacher has a really big turtle living in his yard and the poor thing was moving about trying to find some way to keep his head above water, with all the standing water in the yard.  Blub, blub ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good morning Breeger!

Poor turtle, hope he found higher ground.  And what's with Florida these days? The launch got scrubbed again! (Well, not sure the weather was the only reason)

I sure hope Tim is getting the help he needs. That's a lot on one man's plate.  Here's to Tim's heart healing.

70° F
      83%

Ralph and I ran 8 Hangover miles. (Saw the movie last night)

mile 1: 10:06
      mile 2: 9:31
      mile 3: 9:41
      mile 4: 9:30
      mile 5: 9:24
      mile 6: 9:19
      mile 7: 9:24
      mile 8: 8:42

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Well, now I feel like whimp after reading Byll's post .....

Raining cats and dogs this morning, so I stayed inside and cuddled up with B'Nellie.   She only lays on my lap in the morning.

How was the movie Rosie??

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Rose, June is historically the wettest month of the year down here.  (After May which is the driest.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

How was the movie Rosie??

I think it was pretty hilarious.  There were about two paragraphs that, I thought, crossed the line. Unnecessary to the plot and just crude without being funny.  And the "parting shots" during the credits, a few of those seriously crossed the line, past R rating even.

But. It was funny.  Pretty well written and acted. Lots of action. Funny.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Slo

We were supposed to get torrential rains yesterday but they never came. I packed my running gear in my backpack thinking I'd be headed for the Y after work to hit the treadmill.......luckily I was able to get my workout in outside.

It was warm and muggy.......I did 6 x 800 repeats......Pretty much just a tune up for this weekends Tri. 8.1 miles all total.......nice and muggy.  Splits varied from 6:45 (slowest) to 6:33 (fastest)

This morning was a pool workout. 600 yd opener with some sprint repeats of varying distances. Had the heart rate jacked up and the lungs a-burnin. It's all easy easy from now until Sat.

Morning, gang!

Liz - nature tour guide, huh?  Sounds cool and like a lot of fun for the summer.  I'm jealous....

SLO - enjoy the taper and good luck on Saturday!

No run this morning - hoping to get in a weight and core workout at some point. 

Anyone have any good recommendations for running routes in the neighborhood of the National Zoo??  Last time I stayed in Washington, DC we were downtown and I could run through the National Mall.  I was looking forward to doing the same thing this year before I realized the conference venue had moved.  Drat - I love running through the monuments at dawn. 

Good runs, all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Morning friends!

MLR of 10.6 miles at 8:20 pace ("supposed" to be @ 8:15, but it was hilly and I was tired). Felt pretty steady and strong even if tired and the sun was peeping through the fog by the end of the run. 

Hoping Tim is okay or getting there---I wonder as well if his tough runs of the last month had more to do with his heart. 

Sue, try mapmyrun.com and plug in the zip code for where you'll be in DC. Safe travels!

Heading to OH later this afternoon and two runs with Holly are on tap at zero dark thirty.

Until soon

CNY

I don't mind running in the rain, but I never like starting out in it. So went down into the basement to the TM for the first time in a few months. 4.3 was as long as I could take it, though.

Tomorrow I'm taking a day-trip up north to put in some road cycling mileage on the premier rail-trail in the state and then visit my DS for a while.

Hoping for better running weather today for the rest of you.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

CNYrunner – great news about the levy passing!  I’m looking forward to seeing you again.  The rain should be through here by then, low tonight 65°, nice and sticky. 

6 easy-paced miles this morning, 4.55 outside and 1.45 on the TM.  This week I’ve been fighting the cold I got from DD, and while it has thankfully remained fairly minor, I just feel kind of carpy today.  We’ve been out of Zicam, but it looks like that may be a good thing...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Speed work again this morning.  I think my body is getting a little more used to it!  So that was 2.1 miles total, and then I ran another 2.5 miles slowly with my RP.   Three good hills.

CNY, I was checking our school district's website, when I noticed a memo about athletic fees.  It looks as if we will have to pay $75 per season, per kid.  So with two boys in high school next year, that will add up to $450.  Plus our property taxes are going up almost $400.  Ouch.   Oh, well, as DH said, it's better than cutting sports out totally.

Mariposai

Good Wednesday gang. Any update on Timbo this morning?

Look at that Rosie, she gets faster the longer she runs.

Holly, Zinc lozenges does the trick for me. I get then at the local natural food store.

I visited the track to use up the extra glass of Melbec I drank last night with DH.The assignment from the wiseone was to just let the legs fly Smile

After a nice warm up, 10 minutes of stretching (the body felt a little tight this morning) I did the following with 200m intervals.
                          1x800 in 3:45 @ 7:33 pace
                          1x800 in 3:44 @ 7:31 pace
                          1x400 in 1:48 @ 7:15 pace
                          1x400 in 1:50 @ 7:29 pace

Total for the day: 6 miles. Yeap sir, those 400m left the legs burning.

I am glad this is taper week, so less miles to fly.

I sure hope SRLopez is having fun drinking and running in Hawaii.

Tetsujin, you better be back from Japan for the Seattle R&R

Hi Theresa!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, glad your school vote passed!  School would definitely not be the same without music and sports and the other extracurricular activities.  At DD's school they let the band teacher go last year, and had the choir teacher double as a band teacher (which she is NOT. She's not even a good choir teacher.)  DD dropped out of band, and really missed it.  Eliz, I hope your job is safe - it's important!

Roch, why is it that running in the rain is nice but starting out in it is so hard to do? I'm the same way.

I had the most awesome trail run last night after work!  It was too hot in town to RAL, so I went to a mountain park after work where it was 20° cooler.  Since DH and DD are away, I didn't have to hurry home for dinner, so I ran for an hour on the cool green trails - wildflowers are everywhere, and I felt strong and free and peaceful.  This park is very big and remote, and you don't see any cars or houses except near the trailhead. I did see about 30 mountain bikers on the trails (in small groups, not all together) but they were all friendly and enjoying the lovely evening too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Carolyn--that run sounds wonderful.  Wish I could do that around here,

Teresa--be happy it's only $75.  Fortunately we don't have to worry about it anymore, but our fees were 200 per sport with a cap of $700 for the year.

Busy week with grad party leading directly into Relay for Life on Friday, so I haven't even downloaded my past couple of runs.  Sunday's sucked (it ended up as a gitter dun version), but yesterday's felt pretty good.  I'm hoping to see an under 10m/m for the first time since my restart.

Hoping for good news from the Timster.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'll join CNY's and Byll's double digits..

10.7 miles of hills (a 300 footer) in 1:38:50 (9:14 pace, AHR 152).   (Tory and Sadie for first 1.3 miles) Still a bit muggy with 67F and drizzle. HR is now down 10 bpm from 2 weeks ago! Getting there. I've concluded that the best way to get into running shape is to... well.... run!

<<<Timbo>>>

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova