Masters Running

Labor Day, 9.4.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.1 miles)

Henrun (2 pre-rain morning miles)

Twocat (5 cool, cloudy, windy, but rain-free miles)

Evanflein (20.43 tough miles)

Holly (16.7 miles in 58-73°Wink

Marj (4 miles, some with mizzle, some with Henrun)

Tomwhite (15 min Xbike + 35 min on racing crutches at the Y)

Catwhoorg (5,000 pool yards)

Mike (8 miles)

Stumpy, your dinner sounds perfect! I hope your DD got off on her flight home OK.

Happy 5th anniversary to your priest-duaghter-runner, RunnerKSA.

Did you do the 5K today, Dave? Interesting that the winner in Charleston was a 52 y.o. woman - good for her!

Sounds like good grilling, Henrun and Marj.

I'm glad you practiced good rain avoidance, Twocat.

Evanflein, Great job on the 20+ miler - especially with the moose meet-up! The lobster restaurant provides the lobsters and some limited sides or alternatives (burgers, etc.) for those who don't like lobster. You can bring anything they don't have. Yes, they cook and deliver the lobsters (with all the necessary tools), and take it all away when you're done. We pay a little more for the lobsters there, but it is worth it when we can bring so much ourselves, including beer/wine.

Good long run for you too, Holly. Great gift for DS and GF, great photo, and a big congrats to him on his paying, credit-providing, targeted, and experience-giving internship.

Sounds like a good time with the buds, Tomwhite.

Impressive pool yardage, Cat!

Mike, does Eric need some better friends? Bummer about his face.

The last of our weekend guests left at 6 this morning, so I delayed my workout till after they left so I could get the coffee going for them, and not be a sweaty mess for the kiss-off. After they left, DW went back to bed, and I went out for 6.97 RW miles in breezy 57° temps. My legs were really fatigued from a long and busy weekend, and my workout yesterday (though it wasn't even close to as long as Evanflein's or Holly's), but I stayed with it and got it done. Today'll be a clean-up day around here, and maybe we'll even try to get out for a little fun stuff.

Have a greta Labor Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay.........

before I forget

(which happens a lot)

does anybody know how Spareribbs is doing??........

==============

x-biking

and

RC at the Y today

...................Happy Labor Day

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

10K done- well, 6.3 miles really. Hard course and my legs were dead, but ran 9:50 pace and won age group. Got a drink container, $20 gift card to Fleet Feet and a free pizza coupon. Corporate team was 2nd in our division. It felt SO hard. 64-70 degrees. My daughter did well and then ran the 5K at 9:30. I left before that (with her permission).   Glad that's over!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP I sure hope the air around your place clears up soon. Is there any way you can just bail and go somewhere with clear air for a couple of weeks?

Holly S. nice picture. Great that your DS has that internship.

mrrun sounds like a great charcuterie and wine combination. Our local cheese shop has classes and in the list are crating cheese, charcuterie and wine pairings. I have been to some of their classes, which are very good in both the educational and tasty sense, but never to one of those about charcuterie.

tomwhite nachos and beer may not be charcuterie and wine but it is still really good!

catwhoorg I have so many friends that love swimming. I just cannot get into it. Back and forth, back and forth and just looking at a pool bottom. I just find it so dull.

Mike E man what you go through with Eric. You have my sympathies. I cannot imagine what it is like to deal with that.

evanflein I saw the elevation profile of your run and 21.43 miles does not begin to convey what a tough route that was.

coastwalker it sounds like you had a wonderful time with your guests. Clean up around your house? When the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club as been there I never saw anything that remotely looked like it should be tossed or filed or whatever. What are you cleaning up? Now my DW is another story. She has been trying to straighten out her office for a few days now. It still looks like a tornado ran through it. A tornado that likes to make piles of paper. Are there any of those?

I went off for 6 miles. Dang, but I am slow. I took my camera along with me to add photos to the relive video that was created from the data on my Garmin account. Unless you are a club member, you can only add photos right after the run. I tried to do that yesterday but botched it up. Today it looks as though I got it right. The penultimate photo is there just for wildchild in the off chance she comes around the daily. The video is at https://www.relive.cc/view/g14022531486.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

Drove 17 miles to the little town Ceredo, WV and ran the Good Samaritan 5k.  

Took a few seconds off my recent 5k's:
            27:22  (8:49, 8:56, 8:48, :49)
            8:50 pace
            2 of 4 55-59 - But I got the 1st place award because the first guy won the master's award
            33 of 130 overall 

This was an unplanned 5k. I hope it doesn't mess with my motivation to run a 5k on Saturday that I am signed up for.  Right now the pain is still fresh on my mind and running another 5k doesn't sound too good.

I've managed to lose about 10 pounds in the past 2-3 months but after the race today I pigged out at Tudor's Biscuit World. Got a sausage biscuit and hash browns. After working 6 hours yesterday installing a software update and then a good 5k today I felt I deserved some high fat, high calorie breakfast food.  I don't know if tasted good enough to justify 1000+ calories though.

The rest of the day will be lounging.

On the streets of Ceredo:

http://i67.tinypic.com/zx04es.jpg

"First" Place Award:

http://i66.tinypic.com/1539tnm.jpg

catwhoorg

Labrat

18 and change with 2 x 20 min at Tempo pace.

Got a damn good sweat on and shed 7 pounds on a before/after weigh in.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

Beautiful morning for an easy 5 miles around the park. I wanted to run more, but trying to behave & not overdo it. Slowly but steadily increasing my mileage is my new mantra. Have a great Labor Day.

Henrun

My new knee was acting up a bit after a couple of days of cycling and hard running, so I decided to go for a walk. Gorgeous weather today and Iended up with 5 miles finishing at the Boston Commons and mingling with a Labor Day rally and hordes of tourists. Took the subway home.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice running, Dave, and good pictures, too!  this one should serve as an inspiration for the next one.

After about 15-20 minutes of waffling and staring at my running clothes, I said, if it's this hard to decide, I think I'll go fishing.  So I did.  Didn't catch anything, but somehow don't regret the decision.  too much.  Did get in some exercise as DW and I closed the island camp for the season.  Docks are a lot heavier coming out than they are going in in the spring.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice racing Dave, but I didn't know that doing software updates burned enough calories to justify biscuits & gravy, even with the 5K!

Just realized I hadn't checked in here in all weekend, so here's the summary: 13.9 cycling miles Saturday afternoon with my DW on a really nice out-and-back paved trail from Romeo to Armada, MI; 6.0 miles around the lake at the club's regular Bagel Sunday meeting (1st Sunday of the month); and 19.7 miles cycling today on a route that took me by the Traverse City Pie Company where I had coffee and a free slice of pie. I would have had two slices if I had any software to update.

When I was working, the day after Labor Day was always the worst commute traffic of the year with everybody back from vacation and all the schools starting up. I hope your drives to work go well tomorrow!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – that Relive is pretty cool, and I like the pictures.

RunnerKSA – 1st AG and some cool prizes – well done!

Dave – 1st AG in an unplanned 5k – great job!

Erika - nice LR yesterday.

{{{Mike and Eric}}}

Today was putter around the house day, cooking and making salsa and balancing the checkbook and that sort of stuff, plus some time reading my latest library book.

5.5 miles outside in 75-ish degrees, followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I wish. 
                          Still have a job to go to. My son starts school this week, and we have 3 dogs to care for.  As it is in oregon right now, or even down into No. Cal which is only an hour from me, it's smokey in all directions for at least a 4+ hr drive. woke up to air quality index being in the hazardous zone today. Seems to have gotten better as the day progresses though. maybe only in the "very unhealthy" range vs hazardous. 

and now Level 1 evacuations orders for an area that really is not all that far from me. maybe 7 miles down the road. way too close for comfort when BLM and wilderness area is literally my backyard.

TammyinGP I sure hope the air around your place clears up soon. Is there any way you can just bail and go somewhere with clear air for a couple of weeks?

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice job, Dave!  It's pretty cool to be able to jump into a race at the last minute and win your age group.

And congratulations to you, too, KSA for your 10k victory!  Very cool!

Twocat--one of these days I'm going to have to learn how to do that map thing--that is really cool.

After writing a drama for next Sunday, going into work for a little bit, and mowing Eric's lawn, I headed over to cross country practice.  It had been in the high 70's and sunny all day until about 15 minutes before practice.  Then the rain started coming down pretty good.  We did a 1 mile warm up then went right into a speed workout on a hilly course for about 3 miles.  Then I tacked on 3 x .5 miles in 3:05 each with a .25 mile recovery between each, then finished with 1.1 mile cool down.  Total was 7.1 miles.

Okay--tomorrow it's back to work--yippee.  See ya!

evanflein

Catwhoorg, that's a helluva run! Do you take anything to drink on runs like that? Or just go all out and recover afterwards? 7 lbs is a lot.

Holly, that was such a great picture of your DS and his GF. Meant to say that the other day. That was a really nice gift, and ^5 to him (and you!) on his internship! That's awesome.

Tammy, when we had a couple of really smoky summers my folks went to Anchorage. My mom's asthma just couldn't deal with it. Funny thing though, I remember going to Seattle one particularly smoky year, and when we got off the plane, people in the airport could smell the smoke. Maybe it was just on all of us and in the plane, you'd think the air exchangers would've cleared it out. I was like you though for the most part, work, kids, pets, where were we gonna go?

Nice racing, RunnerKSA and Dave.

What a gorgeous day we had here! Just a real treat, after so many grey wet dreary days in late August. Spent a lot of time in the garden digging potatoes. Wow, there were prolific this year! Picked the last of the green beans (another outstanding producer this year) and starting to pull the plants. Gotta get the big stuff out like the broccoli plants that are sending out little side shoots, but we've been picking and picking and picking and they're getting pretty scrawny now. Time to wrap it up. It's nice to have such a good garden year, something to keep you going in those years when things just don't seem to take off. Now I just wish my tomatoes would ripen; tons of green tomatoes, some really big, just very slow to ripen. And no, I don't like stuff made with green tomatoes.

3.25 slow miles on tired legs this afternoon. Tomorrow is looking like a rest day.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Catwhoorg, that's a helluva run! Do you take anything to drink on runs like that? Or just go all out and recover afterwards? 7 lbs is a lot.

24 oz during, another 24 oz before I am finished with my shower..

The 7lbs was about half way through the "shower" 24 oz.

(24 oz is my cycling bidon volume which is what I use for those runs)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18