Masters Running

Friday's Daily: From right around the same vicinity that Jay starts from (Read 42 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Don't get a chance to do this at 10am EST, so I'll type fast so I don't get scooped.  It may be Jay's vicinity, but it certainly won't have his wrap-up.

4 miles for me this morning.  9F when I went out and managed to be over dressed, since I set out clothes based on a forecast of 3-5F.  Strangely enough, I only saw one other person walking the lake.  it felt harder than the last run, but just might have something to do with my wildly erratic and insufficient running schedule.

Hope everyone has a good Friday leading into a better weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

It was officially -16° here this morning.  That meant 4 more miles on the basement treadmill.  The "Weather Bug" app on my phone said it was -19°.  I haven't been outside at all to see what it feels like.

I'm waiting to see if I need to sign up for the Buffalo Half Marathon. I guess I better ask Cindy if she wants to go to Buffalo on Memorial Day weekend or minds if I go and leave her home alone.

coastwalker

Mornin' Stumpy, Dave and everyone still coming.

I felt fine after my workout yesterday morning, but by early afternoon, I was back home and  under the blankets. I got slammed with a wicked, wicked cold. I slept, for the most part, for 12 hours, and I never do that.. I guess I must be sick. OK - going back to sleep....

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kevin - hard to be overdressed at 9 degrees, but I know what you mean.

Dave - I wouldn't be tempted to run outside in that either.

So, I went to the sports med place today.  The nurse took me to a room and said, "First we'll start you off with an x-ray."

"No you won't." I said.  "There's no swelling or bruising, nothing to indicate a broken bone, and a stress fracture or tendon injury wouldn't show up.  Before I pay the $300+ out of pocket for an x-ray, I'd like the doctor to tell me why I need one."

She had nothing to say to that, and left.

I don't know about you folks, but medical testing is pretty expensive, and I dislike the way so many offices order tests with out determining if they are actually necessary first.  At any rate, I came away from the visit without anything new really.  He indicated he thought it was insertional Achilles pain, that it would very likely not rupture if I ran on it, but might not get better.  I could run if I wanted but stop if it hurt too much.  Ice or heat, whichever seemed to help, and a script for PT.  Basically nothing I hadn't already read on the internet.  However, he did say he was pretty sure that it was NOT a stress fracture, and that it was likely too much TM running this winter was a factor, since many of us run slightly differently on a TM.

So, I guess I will play it by ear, ice and heat and exercises, and sign up for some PT if my insurance will cover it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

good for you Holly, on putting your foot down on unnecessary medical testing. I wish you had more definitive answers but sounds like you have a plan and hopefully this is just a minor irritation that will go away.  When I've had heel/plantar fascia before, my sports chiro does some intense 'stripping' type massage on it and that seems to do the trick.

probably no running for me today. hoping to run both Saturday and Sunday with a longer run on one of those days.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Good for you for speaking up Holly. I've told the dentist to stop bothering with the X-rays. I was paying him twice a year for no reason.

Feel better soon Jay!

A buddy from my running club at the Lake came by to join my RP and me this morning and I was glad to see him. With all my gimping around this week and walking, my RP needed to get out there and run, so they took off on me and had a great run while I walked a bit.  Got 3+ in anyway and now 43 for the week. No run tomorrow as I have to work.

Spareribs

usandtoto-2@msn.com

HI stumpy77, Dave, Holly, Tammy, Ribs and all that follow.  Jay rest up and get to feeling better.

I'm with you Holly on the "no" need for medical procedures.  It has become to common of a practice.

This morning it was 65 degrees, partly cloudy and a nice breeze off the Arabian Gulf.  8.5 miles at an easy pace before the sun came up.

Hoping everyone has an uneventful Friday, I sure did.  Now its almost time for bed.  So good night all and to all a good night.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Good for your for standing your ground, Holly.  Re the PT, mine did sort of what Tammy talked about  - a stripping thing with my patellar (?) tendon (it's on the side of the ankle and runs around the ankle bone).  It hurt like you-know-what, but after the 3rd treatment, there was a significant difference.  If you have a PT you trust, you might just give 'em a call and inquire as to what he/she would do.

Feel better soon, Jay!!

30 min of core/ST last night, and I'll get in 5 miles tonight.  Tomorrow I go back to my dad's to keep working on his hoarding mess.  *sigh*  He doesn't get much done in between cleaning sessions.

Have a great weekend, folks ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

So, I guess I will play it by ear, ice and heat and exercises, and sign up for some PT if my insurance will cover it.

Pretty sure your insurance will cover the PT Holly - as long as the doctor wrote a script for it. I still had to fork over the $30 co-pay every time I went last year, but it was really worth it. Good luck.

Sorry you're under the weather Jay. Sleep sounds like the perfect medicine!

Awesome mileage already this week Ribs.

I feel your pain Dave. -12 here this morning. At least there was no wind. We broke the record for the number of days with below zero temps this winter. We're at 48 right now with predictions of at least 3-5 more days with -0 temps at night. Oh - and 3 to 5 inches of snow predicted for tonight into tomorrow morning. Someone told me yesterday that all of these "Polar vortex" experiences are going to lead to a summer with temps that don't get out of the 60° range. Just shoot me. Or, move me.

Up at 5 AM with DH to serve breakfast at one of our homeless shelters, then a 45 minute training session filled with various means of torture. Accumulators consisting of kettle bell squats, lunges, mountain climbers, push-ups, step raises and weighted sit-ups. I signed up for a mini tri this Sunday. It's not age categorized so I don't stand a chance against all of the hard bodied 20 and 30-somethings. But it will be fun. I think. Will let you know how things turn out.

Have a great weekend everyone.

The other day, one of you fine folks talked about a major diet change.  Who was that?  I have some questions.  I looked back through the dailies, but I'm not seeing the post.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

The other day, one of you fine folks talked about a major diet change.  Who was that?  I have some questions.  I looked back through the dailies, but I'm not seeing the post.

it was Rasmussen, but he's probably in bed by now

Tammy

evanflein

Good for you, Holly. More people need to stand up against "procedure," because that's all that was. The best question (if she'd had a comeback) was "how will this test change your diagnosis or treatment?" And usually it won't, but they might just say it's to "rule out" this or that. Well, you already did that and obviously the x-ray wasn't needed. What I love is they'll do an x-ray, then decide they need an MRI. Also, watch what lab they send things to. I had that experience recently, stupidly assuming they'd use the lab co-located in the same building. Our health plan has a contract with that lab which is based in the "lower 48" so the rates are startlingly lower. Nope, they sent mine to the local hospital, read by local pathologist, at 3x to 4x the other lab's rate. Just criminal.

Ok, that's my rant. Holly, at least you have confirmation of what you're dealing with, and the world won't end if you run a mile or two. Just be smart about it (I know you will). And yes, alternating ice and heat is actually a good approach with the achilles which doesn't have much blood flow in the area. (and I agree: too much treadmill running is not good for you)

Hang in there, Jlynne. I don't know about the cool summer you heard about. I heard you guys could be in for some record heat and drought. Time will tell, I guess.

Almost sorry to say, our weather is spectacular, and has been all week. I've got an all day meeting (I'm supposed to be prepping for...) so I'll get in 3 miles or so easy after work. Hope to have a "meaningful" long run this weekend.

Thanks, Tammy.

Re the rant on medical issues - Medical issues, i.e., "procedures," always frost my butt.  The worst one I ran into was when my gall bladder had to be removed.  There was one specific diagnostic test that would conclusively determine if my gall bladder was bad.  My question: "Why can't I do that test now?"  "Because insurance says we have to do these first to rule out any other issues."  So lots of $$ later, the final test was done, and my oh my!  You have a bad gall bladder.  Yeah, I know.  I've been telling you that for almost 2 months now!   If they had just done that one test, it would've save me and the insurance company a ton of money.  . . . . stupid insurance companies.  Things are so bassakwards, it's crazy.

Okay - Off the rant and back to work!!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Leslie, that would be me.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")