Masters Running

Run for Justin 5k race report (Read 211 times)

selb3

The Run for Justin in Omaha, is a fundraiser for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society, put on by the family of a young man, who tragically passed away while training for an event.  His father, mother and sisters have gone on to run several TNT events.  This was the 6th annual event.  I have been a TNT participant, mentor, and coach.  It was good to see lots of friends.

The day was overcast, and in the 70s, but not raining.  It had rained for this event several times in the past.  The event was well attended, by over 550 runners.   Ran at comfortable 8:30 pace, and finished in 26:32.  Highlight was getting passed by a 6 year old at mile 1.  The little dude just kept on trucking, and finished about 20 seconds ahead of me. 

As I make my return to former running form, I have learned that getting back into the habit will take time.  Just like getting into the habit, have to build up the mileage, desire, endurance and speed.  July has already been my best running month in a long time, so I am seeing hope.  Getting back at it in 2009, and kicking hard in 2010.  

Dave

Marathon Maniac #957

Highlight was getting passed by a 6 year old at mile 1.   

That happens to me all the time....

Nice to see you getting back in the groove!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

That youngster has a promising future in running!  Glad you enjoyed a fun race for a good cause. Enjoy your comeback!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Glad to see the post from you Dave.  Sounds like it was an enjoyable day, even if you did get passed by a first grader!  Definitely sounds like it was a good cause.

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Highlight was getting passed by a 6 year old at mile 1.  The little dude just kept on trucking, and finished about 20 seconds ahead of me.

Dave

Okay, that's priceless!  Good job on the run, Dave.  Nice to see you gettin' back into things.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good race, brother.  I'm glad to see you getting some mojo back.  I'm looking forward to a run or two together in a few weeks.

Take care, Tom

huskydon

Nice job, Dave.  Yup, it does take awhile to get back in the groove, but it sounds like you are making great progress.   Sorry man, but I would have to bet on the youngster next year if you and him meet up again.....
                selb3

thanks all

Tom - yes looking forward to some runs in a couple of weeks

Huskydon - I have been challenged - not sure if I will meet up with the kid again, but by next year - he won't stand a chance.... Smile

mojo is returning - July will be a great month for running - already has been one of my better months for a long time.  The habit is returning, the mind is willing (and what I need to convince) the body will follow.

Omaha Marathon - September 27.

"The truth is you can always run faster - sometimes the truth hurts" 

Dave-Nice job getting back into the swing of things. As an elementary school PE teacher I have to tell you that 6 year olds are quite resilient. Therefore, make sure nobody is looking, and trip the little bugger if he tries to pass you again.