Masters Running

NCT "Do-Over" Marathon RR (Read 310 times)

Tramps

NCT “Do-Over” Marathon RR Two weeks ago, not wanting to simply slog it out to the end, I bailed after 16 miles of a too-warm and humid Richmond marathon in which I was feeling miserable. Afterward, I quickly located the North Central Trail marathon in Maryland and signed up for a “do-over” race. The course. This is an out and back race with about 22 miles on a beautiful “rail trail” with mostly smooth surface. It follows a river most of the way and is quite pleasant. The running surface is wonderfully easy on the feet. We started at a nearby elementary school and did the first couple of miles on roads. As you can see below, next 12 miles or so are a very slight uphill, then a turnaround back. One caveat: the race has water only at the spots where the trail crosses roads. As a result water stops are unevenly spaced and are from about 2.5 to 3.5 miles apart. After hearing about this, I decided to wear my water belt to make sure I’d be well-hydrated. I’m very glad I did and don’t see how you’d get through this race without some water to supplement the aid stations. Weather. Perfect; simply perfect. mid-30s at the start, clear, sunny, minimal wind. It warmed up to the low-40s by the finish. Ideal for long sleeve tech shirt, shorts. I wore gloves for the first few miles but then didn’t need them. No excuses from weather. Goal. I was looking to beat my PR (3:47:39) and was pretty sure I could get in the 3:30’s somewhere. I thought a BQ (3:30) was still out of my reach unless all went perfectly, so I decided to aim for a 3:35, and would consider anything under 3:40 a successful day. The race. The great thing about a small 500-runner race is there’s no waiting around. We stayed warm in the school until, literally, 9:20, at which point organizers starting moving runners outside for the 9:30 start. No time to get chilled; sunny skies; perfect! Miles 1-13. I started out easy, knowing the first couple of downhill miles might be a little fast. Then I settled in for the flat part of the course. I wanted to relax and run comfortably to the turnaround, making sure I didn’t dip any faster than 8:00 miles and no slower than 8:15. My biggest problem was making sure I didn’t go too fast. I felt very good, temps were great, and this felt like an “on” day. I hit the half at 1:45:13 (8:02 pace). 1 (8:02) 2 (7:56) 3 (8:08) 4 (8:02) 5 (8:04) 6 (8:05) 7 (8:03) 8 (8:08) 9 (8:01) 10 (8:02) 11 (8:09) 12 (8:41 pee stop) 13 (8:13) Miles 14-18. After the turnaround near mile 14, you enjoy a slight downhill for a couple of miles. I was still feeling very well and running comfortably. After 18 miles I would have called this a near-perfect race for me. I felt great, my pace was consistent, and I was really enjoying the day. I’d pick a runner up ahead, reel them in, and then after passing them I’d check my Garmin to make sure I wasn’t going too fast. Then repeat. What’s not to love? 14 (8:15) 15 (8:02) 16 (7:57) 17 (8:03) 18 (8:10) Miles 19-23 About mile 19, three developments occurred in fairly rapid succession. First, I started to feel a bit of tightening in my right hamstring. I had had twinges in it ever since Richmond and I had been nursing it heading into this race, icing and gently stretching. Now I knew it would likely become an issue. I popped some Ibuprofen and hoped for the best. Also, I reached to get my next-to-last gel and realized that I had somehow dropped one of my gels along the way; instead of two, I only had one left. I decided to split it between here and mile 23. Finally, just about this time I ran out of runners to reel in. Instead, I found myself totally alone on the course for about 4 miles. This was starting to hurt and I was having a difficult time focusing on maintaining my pace; I began to slow. 19 (8:18) 20 (8:22) 21 (8:24) 22 (8:38) 23 (8:26) Miles 24-26 Mile 24 was the last full mile on the trail and it was the turning point of the day: my hamstring seized up on me. It went from feeling tight to just plain hurting. I didn’t dare stop to try to stretch it, fearing I wouldn’t get started again. I slowed, changed my gait, and did anything I could to try to run through it somehow. These were long miles. I felt like I could barely manage a shuffle as I climbed the hills in the last mile. My changed gait led to a cramp in my quad now, too. I just told myself to keep moving and did the best I could to bring it home. 24 (8:55) 25 (8:54) 26 (9:35) Final: 3:37:18 (8:18)--a nice 10-minute PR. Smile Just before mile 26 marker, having just completed the last hill. Is this a gorgeous day for a run or what? I really enjoyed this race. The weather was excellent, the course was nice, and I would definitely consider doing this one again. A nice feature is that the trail is not closed off for the race, so my DW also got in a 12-mile run and really enjoyed the trail. Also, until the hamstring insisted on acting up, I thought I ran a very consistent race, well within my training. I never felt so strong so late into a race and, even with the hamstring crisis, was only a couple minutes off my top goal. This was certainly a much nicer note on which to end the season than my Richmond DNF. So, all in all, I’m glad I bailed in Richmond and was able to have this successful “do-over.” As usual, I also felt I learned a few things. I was surprised how much I loved carrying a Fuel Belt with me. I felt totally in control of when and at what pace I drank. I didn’t have to slurp down a gel because a water station was just ahead. I didn’t have to worry about spilling from a cup. Etc. etc. Despite the weight, I would definitely consider carrying a belt again in the future. Also, I suppose it’s worth packing an extra gel, too, in case I drop one again. BTW, DW and I brought an empty, refillable liter beer bottle to the Beers on Friday, which Lou kindly filled. So we got to enjoy a celebratory Lou’s Brew after the race! It was great to meet the Beers and, despite a few glitches, I thought our visit went well. I’m happy insurance will be covering all the damage. (Details to follow in a separate report.) Thanks again to everyone here for your ongoing support and encouragement. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Tramps! I am sitting here with a huge (hugh) smile on my face! I am so glad you got to have a first-rate do-over, and the weather cooperated with you. Congratulations on your excellent race, and HUGE (HUGH) PR, even with the hamstring issues at the end - great job! That was great forethought to bring an empty liter bottle to the Beers' house on Friday night. (Or did you actually steal a keg?) Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps... Excellent. - good to hear that you had great weather when you "lived to fight again". Nice, race - great PR and an outstanding Do Over. Not sure about the "Insurance Coverage" thing - but sounds like you weathered that as well. Enjoy your recovery! Ray

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

TRAMPS!! You are THE MAN!! That was simply awesome pacing up til the hamstring issue. Congratulations on the huge 10 min PR! 3:30's WOW! Your race report makes me want to run that course. It sounds perfect! Now you know you made the right decision in Richmond! We can all learn from this.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nicely done, Tramps. And a big PR!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Well done Beautiful run Congratulations on the awesome PR Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

A PR. We knew you could do it Tramps!
                  Tramps, you earned this one and executed it beautifully. The bestest "Do Over"! All of RA is happy today! Nice to be able to have an open trail too to enjoy together. Well done. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

When I first read your time I was eager to see your report, because I had hoped you would be pleased with this. Not only is it a big improvement over your first one, and some redemption for the last one in Va., but it is further evidence that you have even better times ahead of you. Consider that once you recover and build up again, you will be stronger in that last third of the race and this is all-important in the marathon as you saw. Finally, I would like to add that the soft surface may have been kind to your feet and legs, but it also costs you a few seconds per mile because you forgo that "tacky" surface for a slipperier one whenever you run on dirt. This suggests that with the same effort, you may be able to run comfortably at say 7:52-7:55 or thereabouts on a road. This is a wonderful report and I'm happy you are pleased with your improvement as it is very good news. Great you got to meet the Beers as well, wonderful hosts aren't they? Spareribs
                      Well deserved and executed "do-over"!! Sorry about the hamstring issue....makes you wonder what better times lie ahead if you have another "on" day on asphalt with no cramping muscles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

La La La La La! Spectacular, Tramps! I'm so glad that ol' early rain report was wrong and that you had the day you deserved. Zippedeedodah, what a wonderful day and race. And most excellent your wife got to join you on the trail, that must have been special. {Let me know if you need any legal advice in re the upcoming negotiations with the Beers over damages.} huge grins Big grin Big grin Big grin AND a round of applause! most sincerely, A ps: glad the fuel belt worked out, too. As I told you, I don't mind toting my little water bottle and it is nice to be able to drink when you need and want to do so.
                        Masters 2000 miles

Renee the dog

Yea TRAMPS!!!!! So glad for your experience and the PR. Thanks for the report. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Glad to see you finished. Smile
                            12 (8:41 pee stop)
                            You could have saved 40 seconds, if you hadn't < ahem="" /> overhydrated the day before. Well done, Tramps. You have more PRs ahead of you, for sure.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Congratulations, Tramps! What better a way to beat back a disappointing (but understandable) DNF. 10-minute PR! Woot woot! An excellent way to wind down the year. Again, congratulations on a well-deserved and well-run race. Walt
                              DickyG

All I can say is that the wait was worth it..I am really impressed by the way you soldiered on in the last few miles at a sub-9 pace despite your pain. A 10-minute PR is just out of this world...a mammoth "congrats", my man. DickyG