Masters Running

Thursday Rock and Roll Day (Read 521 times)

Meeting with the speed group tonight but no speed, just a group ez run together to get rid of the butterflies before the big days this weekend. Also time to go pick up the race kit. Marathon in 3 days. Yahoo. Time to get ready to rock and roll Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Good Morning Tall and all others to follow! Rock and Roll indeed! I can feel that nervous energy---convert that into power and strength. You too Bill and all the weekend racers. It's going to be an excellent weekend for racing, I just know it. 9 miles with my Tri-guy friend this morning at 5:15 am and 55º. I didn't sleep so well last night---journey proud after yesterday's trip, so I was glad to have the early morning run on tap. Tri-guy wants more endurance and I want speed, so he's a great training partner (but not more than twice a week). We did this as a pace run trying to hit 8 minute pace without watching the clock---ended up up with 7:57 pace on a hilly route. Ciao for now
      RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

0528 48° F Big group at the W&M track this morning. I am the tortoise to all these hares. Today was a good running day for my head. I knew where I fit in and what I needed to do. Total of 6 miles with 4 x 1000's in there. Good luck Tall and Byll. Karin, Smart move for you and tri-training buddy. Sounds like a symbiotic relationship... or would that be mutually beneficial? Or is that the same thing? Either way, good run for you! Aamos, I've been keeping up with Crissy's progress via the e-mail connection. She and her family are truly inspirational. Thank you for the introduction. All righty then! Let's go make this a great day!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Morning, gang! (((((((Tim))))))) Tall - wishing you speedy feet but no injuries! Good luck with the marathon! Karin - you are amazing!! Spareribs - my DH and I saw Topol in Fiddler when the tour stopped in Providence earlier this year. He was on my list of "must see if ever possible". I was fortunate enough to see Richard Burton in Camelot in my much younger days. I love the old Broadway show music. Track workout this morning. 2.5 mile warmup followed by 3.5 miles of sprinting on the straights and jogging on the curves with a 1 mile cooldown. Total of 7 miles with AHR of 165. The first round of plants made it into the new raised garden last night - several varieties of tomatoes and two varieties of strawberries. I got some tomato cages and ladders from Garden Supply - to optimize the space - and they really did a good job. I have a lot of room left for additional plants - I see another trip to the nursery in my future. Still have to find a lilac and maybe a mock orange. The peppermint spray seems to be keeping the deer at bay. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning Tall, CNY, and all to follow. No run for me yet today. My run will have to wait until after work today, but I think some of my 5K teacher friends are planning to run after school. Bike commute only thus far today. I had an interesting exchange on my commute home yesterday. I was riding on a well traveled road, staying safely to the right, just before the newly installed bike lane begins. A pick up truck with workers from a local construction company pulls past me, and the gentleman in the passenger seat sticks his hand out of the window and yells you should be riding on the $%^#*! sidewalk! As luck would have it a light turned red and the truck had to stop. This happened, coincidentally, right where the bike lane began. As I pulled up to the light I couldn't resist saying Hmmmm someone has put a bike lane here in the road instead of on the sidewalk. Why would they do that? He flipped me off when the light turned green and I just smiled and continued on my way.
            Slo

Craneium The stories I could share with you. {{{{sadly shaking my head}}}} By the way, in most cities it's illegal to ride on the side walk. I've got tons to report but I think I'll do it in bits and pieces. I'll start with my run this morning. Just a nice and easy 9.1 miles at an 8:41 pace. BUT.....what was amazing about this run was.....get this......I did it in 100% cotton Shocked. Yep, from my socks, T-shirt and shorts......right down to my boxer briefs I was all natural fibers. Oh the stares I got from the real runners. Big grin Tall....Race hard....I'll be thinking of ya! Your an awesome runner. I have to come back later and tell you about my daughters final Chior concert last night...........
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. out for a run on Thursday for the first time in ages. DW and I are heading up to Maine tomorrow to see how the camp survived the winter and do some opening. Thought it would be a good idea and not go into that any more tired than necessary. 2.88 Mi in 29:17 for a 10:11 pace. almost better than IRC with 55F and little wind. Still getting random data from the HRM. I ordered some electrode gel so I can see if that helps to get some readings I can count on. SLO--I've been wearing cotton shirts to see if there's anything to the static thing--I feel so improperly dressed Tongue

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Kevin, Where in Maine? Lilmissrosie has an internship there, with Bath Iron Works. She's in Guatemala right now but, starts work in Maine on the first of June. We want to visit her in Maine but haven't figured out the details yet. What should I know? ~ buehrle

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

1.6 mile recovery run, slow. Was going to do 3, but quit when I felt a muscle give in my back, like a cramp or something. Walked back to the car. I think this is nothing but just being safe. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 9 miles for me this morning, including 6 x 800 yard intervals at the track, with a 400 yard recovery jog. The intervals were: 3:30 (7:42) 3:31 (7:44) 3:33 (7:48) 3:29 (7:39) 3:30 (7:42) 3:21 (7:22) At least, this is what the paces were if indeed that is a 440 yard track. I still don’t know for sure. The Garmin was reading this distance as about .45 mile, and so giving me paces around 7:50-ish (last one at 7:26). I know, I know, don’t trust a Garmin over a track, but this is an old, unmarked, cinder track around a middle school football field, and I thought Garmin supposedly gives you a faster, not slower, time than real pace. I’d like to find some regulation, marked track to run on, to see if I am actually running this fast. (I don’t really believe it.) I had almost enough time to run one more mile, but decided to stretch instead (I struggled with this decision). I’m always trying to squeeze out the maximum distance in my available time before work, but I think I need to start making time for to stretch after my runs. ETA - I've been told the track is 400 yards, so I've adjusted the paces accordingly, and these numbers seem more realistic for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

RCG--we're on Little Sebago Lake. Bath is about an hour away, on the coast (important for ship building Wink ) We don't make it out that way too often, but you can't go too far wrong anywhere along the coast--it's all beautiful. Lobster is plentiful and cheap at the moment, so support the local fisherman. Fresh seafood can't be beat. Smile Afraid I can't help you much with anything very specifc. Teresa and Mainerunnah, who are lucky enough to be there year-round might be of some more help.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Holly Extremely....and I really mean Extremely nice running ! When are you doing a 5k again ? Your going to blow thier doors off ! And while I do agree about the stretching......I'm very guilty of not.
                          dg.

Meeting with the speed group tonight but no speed, just a group ez run together to get rid of the butterflies before the big days this weekend. Also time to go pick up the race kit. Marathon in 3 days. Yahoo. Time to get ready to rock and roll Tall
                            Tall I so much hope everything goes well for you & that your owies disappear!!!! you deserve it. Hi everybody! Holly, nice job, & i think a good decision too. Which only makes you question it, huh? I ran again yesterday by the river, still have to tweak the timing a little bit to get to work on time. Still sadly slow.. (Holly, i know... but I'm not supposed to get slower) but it definitely felt better than Tuesday. 4.8 miles, 10:19 pace. (sigh)(can't help it). This morning I went to the gym & did 50 min. on the elliptical, then back lifts, side planks, reverse crunches, russian twists, weight machine adductors, abductors, & lat pulldowns. I have the day off, it is picture perfect weather, and I get to have lunch with friends. Smile. now I'm going to go & actually start a thread. eek.

#artbydmcbride

Huh, and I thought this thread was about you guys getting earthquake shakers too! Big grin Ran after work with one club last night and a different club tonight, 6 or 7 miles this time. Go Bill! Go Tallrunner!!

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

At least, this is what the paces were if indeed that is a 440 yard track. I still don’t know for sure. The Garmin was reading this distance as about .45 mile, and so giving me paces around 7:50-ish (last one at 7:26). I know, I know, don’t trust a Garmin over a track, but this is an old, unmarked, cinder track around a middle school football field, and I thought Garmin supposedly gives you a faster, not slower, time than real pace. I’d like to find some regulation, marked track to run on, to see if I am actually running this fast. (I don’t really believe it.) quote> These are very good times no matter what the rest interval is. You did not say. But if I were you I would be very curious about the distance, even though it is probably correct. This weekend if you get some free time, perhaps a little tour of the local schools in your area to find a marked track that is open to you during the week would be a useful thing to do. One thing you should also know is that you lose up to about 20 seconds per mile, or about ten seconds per 800 running on cinder as opposed to running on the tacky surface of an all weather or asphalt track, unless of course you are wearing spikes and I am certain you are not doing that. (Warning: Do not go out and buy spikes!) So this would mean you would be doing this workout even faster on a better surface. There is also some learning here for you about why you go to the track in the first place. Because everything is measured precisely, a track workout allows you to see in very short distances what kind of speed you really have. For years you have been lamenting that you have no speed, and I always felt this was groundless. You had not done track work before, so you had no way of knowing if you had speed or if you hadn't. You cannot tell if you have speed by running a fiveK or a marathon, because that is mostly about conditioning. To determine what kind of leg speed you have, you have to time yourself over shorter distances and this is a fairly new experience for you. You are certainly doing well at it. Spareribs