Masters Running

Saturday Runs and Mischief (Read 328 times)

Slo

Good Morning All and wishing everyone a great start to weekend.

Exercise in Control  =  Exercise in Futility.

Last nights work out called for 8 miles with a 20 min Tempo at HM pace +10. So here's my run:

2.33 miles @ 8:24 WU

2.95 Miles @ 7:10 Tempo   21m 10s

2.76 Miles @ 8:15 CD

7:10 is NOT my HM pace......I should have been running at 7:33 to 7:40......I'm sorry Officer, the wind was at my back....I swear it was.

Todays recovery run.....Plan 5 miles at 9:15....Actual.....5.26 miles at 8:50.....Geez, not again officer.....it was the down hill that threw me off. 

Holly....I had to think of your post yesterday. I was feeling pretty good and started thinking about adding a mile or two to this workout but this was a recovery run.....If I want to add more miles then I should save them for tomorrows long run.

These workouts really are about control at this point......I'm still 11 weeks out from the Marathon and have plenty of time to work on the specific endurance.

Although I have to admit.....that was a pretty darn good Tempo run.......and I'm pretty encouraged about my running right now.

Nice run, Slo.  Sometimes you just feel like running fast.

This was to be a recovery-paced run, which I like to do around 9's or so, so I guess I paced it ok.  A bit fast, maybe...

5.1 miles, 45:16, 8:57/mi, AHR 140 (72% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Slo_Hand – yes, that’s exactly what I mean.  Nice job of control with today's run.

Due to family plans, I decided to switch out my runs and do my LR today instead of tomorrow.  The FIRST plan called for 17 miles @ 9:20.  I managed 16 miles @ 9:19 before the wheels fell off, and the last 1.1 mile home was pretty darn slow, with a couple walk breaks.  I just ran out of energy.  Last week I ran this same distance at a much faster pace (9:04).  I think that my legs are just still tired from Thursday’s tempo run. 

I was thinking about next week’s 20-miler, with a 5-mile race the day before it, and perhaps I need to adjust my expectations of pace for that one.  That’s okay, though.  Since it’s the first of five 20-milers on this cycle, pace is not crucial for that one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Hi everyone!

Renee and I were up before most people in town and got in 3 recovery-paced miles (32:01 with AHR of 124).  I'm tired today. Not much of anything on the schedule 'cept going to the beach and getting some sun.  Afternoon nap, for sure.

Have a great one!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Nice running, Slo.  

Holly, today is today, next week is next week.  I'd wait to see how you feel next week before changing plans.

5.2 miles @ 9:14 pace today.

I think my quads enjoyed our time off too much; I'm already hearing from them after a short easy run like this.

Must be patient., must be patient, must....

Be safe. Be kind.

Wow.  Holly is already getting ready to run 20 milers.  I don't know when I'll get to those on this plan.

The plan was to run somewhere just short of 2 hours.  It was a very warm and humid morning and this one was a sweatfest.  12.75 miles in 1:58 for 9:22.  I was glad to be done.  It's hard to believe I was running this at 8:30s not even 3 weeks ago.  Time to work on the positive mental thoughts while I run these things slowly.

I can't believe my new License Plate hadn't already been snagged ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bill, good to see you're now a licensed marathoner.  6.25 sunny and slightly steamy miles today at 8:24 pace. Now off to get the girls....I have to buy them matching dresses for an upcoming wedding....should be pleasantly excruciating.

Walt

Slo

Y'all must be out for long runs today.

If you ever wondered how you should train for the swim start of a Triathlon Cliff Bar made a pretty good commercial.

See here....30 sec clip

The heat and humidity decided to go somewhere else today so I ran 6.8 this morning

w/ a 10:30 pace. For me, that's not bad.

Then I swam only a 1/2 mile because I got back from the run late and

wanted to make sure I got to the Sat. aerobic class at 9, which I did.  Now I'm pooped.

Holly ((((gasp)))) - you are awesome!

Slo - WTG!!!

Bill - cool plate 

Happy Saturday everyone!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I always feel a little funny posting my incredibly slow paces next to the ones you guys post, but that's OK!  My running partner, two sons, and I ran the 5-mile Yarmouth Clam Festival Race this morning.  PERFECT running conditions - 64 degrees and light mist.  Breezy part of the way.  RP and I started off slowly, which was the plan, and then sped up a little and held a steady pace.  She had to walk a little, but I ran the entire way and finished in 54:10.  I was hoping for 55:00, so I was happy!

DS14 has been running only a few weeks consistently, and finished in 47Tight lippedx.  He said he was motivated by the fear that I might catch up to him! I'm VERY proud of him, because even last year he struggled to run 3 miles.  DS17 finished in 28:13 and came in 4th in his age group (16-19), missing 3rd place by a couple of seconds.  He wasn't running it all-out, though, and felt very pleased with how it went.  Ben True, a runner who graduated from DS's high school 4 years ago, won and set the course record in 23:27.  A FUN morning, and we saw lots of people we know.  I hope Mainerunnah posts a report!  I didn't see him, but I saw that he was planning to run it.

Good morning good people. Great run today, Slo - I think you're ready for that marathon.

Holly, I have no idea how you run a race one day and follow it up with a 20 mile run the day after. I can tell you're a lot younger than me (and in a lot better shape I might add )

Nono - way to beat the tourists this morning. Were you running without a shirt again?

Bill - nice plates. You're right - how did you manage to get them?

I was sad to hear about Walter Cronkite's death. I'll always remember him covering the JFK assasination - he was actually on the verge of crying while on the air.

Just checking in after the "Run With the Flamingos" 5K this morning. A new PR for me - 26:48 and second in my AG. The temps helped a lot, in fact we broke the record for the low high temperature here yesterday - it only got up to 65°. Today isn't supposed to be much better. Now off to cut the grass while DH plays the 2nd day of his golf tournament.

Enjoy your Saturday - and go Tom Watson!!!

5.5 easy miles this beautiful morning w/DW

Well I did it!!!  Signed up DW & I for Mount Desert Island Marathon on October 18th. 

Hear that Teresa?  I'm coming to Maine for the 1st time.    

Slo we'll let you off with a warning as long as the accessive speed doesn't ruin your long run

Bill awesome plate number

Holly  20 miler the day after a 5 mile race  Careful lady

Jlynne congrats on the PR & AG award

Teresa nice race... DS 17 smoking fast as usual,  I've heard of Ben True, it's a memorable name & that is an elite time   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

breger1  way cool license plate!   It may have been open because most people have my level of creativity . . . that would be none!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I know I have been woefully absent.  I've struggled with two consecutive injuries since early May, and just haven't been too focused.  After tomorrow's 13 miles, I will hit a 40 mile week for the first time since before Boston.  Just in time too. We've got two marathons planned for October.

I will try to exhibit better attendance around here!

Anyway - 4 miles, 10:17 pace,  this morning.

We've got a houseful of WRFB's side of the family visiting this weekend.   Cross-training in the kitchen.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo – too funny!

Bill – I love your new plate!

Fussyrunner – run, swim, aerobics?  That’s an awesome workout!

Teresa – nice racing, and way to beat your goal!

Jlynne – Nice racing today – 2nd AG – congratulations!  As for my schedule next weekend, I don’t know how I’ll do it, either, but I suspect the 2nd day will be slowly.  I don’t like having the race the day before, but those pesky planners put it on a Saturday, and my LR is on Sunday.  I thought about adding miles after the race to make it 20 for the day, but I’ll be in a strange town and don’t feel comfortable with that.

Sarge – very cool!  Same day as Columbus.  Where’s Mount Desert?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."