Masters Running

Faster Pace? (Read 441 times)

Run the race God set B4U

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking in here a while but not posted much, except on the main forums.  You guys are awesome and I am a little hesitant to post in here, I don't seem "worthy", anyway....If I posted this on the main forums I would get answers from 20 somethings that really would not apply to me...my question is...how do I work on getting faster?  I see all the articles on speedwork, do this, do that.....but I am overwhelmed with how exactly to start.  I do know that if I shed 15 lbs, that would help, correct?  I have been running for about 5 years, but not "faithfully".  My pace is 9:50-10:40 somewhere in there and no matter what I can't seem to speed up and stay that way, always fall back.  I am on my second week training for a relay marathon in March.  My goal is to run my 6.2 leg in under an hour.  Where do I start?  Thanks!

5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

HI Tina and Welcome!

I don't have any advice for you, but am interested in hearing what others have to say as I run about the same paces as you.   AND loosing weight would be a good benefit for me too.   ho-hum.....

The daily thread may seem intimidating but don't be shy to jump in.   We will get to know you as you get to know us.   Some you really have to watch out for .... dirty ole' men and all ..... but we are a good group.   Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome, Tina!  Speed is overrated   but looking at your log, you should probably work on increasing mileage and the speed will come.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I am a little hesitant to post in here, I don't seem "worthy",

Oh gosh!  I hope we don't make newcomers feel that way!  Of course you are worthy!  We really have all levels of runners in this group, from those that run zillions of miles at light-speed to those that run only occasionally, just to get a little fresh air.  Everyone is welcome here, no matter what their running goals or abilities.  Don't be shy, just jump right in! 

As for getting more speedy, one way to start might be to add some fartleks in your runs, say, speeding up for a short distance, like from one telephone pole to the next, then running slow to the next pole, then fast to the one after that.  Then, after you do that for a couple weeks, you could try running fast for a whole block, then slowing down for the next block, then speeding up again.  That's one way to get a little speedwork in, and have some fun with it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Welcome TinaZ!

Don't hesitate at all and welcome!

More mileage and fartlek runs make great sense. Don't worry about what your watch says and focus on mixing up paces and getting used to running faster.

You might try a set plan like the attached (for 5k and 10k)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

Post lots and as Holly and others said---have fun!

Slo

Hi Tina and welcome to the best user group in RunningAhead.

Getting faster.....you've read it in the main forums......run more. Sprinkle in a few faster runs here and there. There's no secret, simply patience.

The daily threads are a great motivator. These folks are awesome......and quite humble.

Hi Tina - i second all the above -- -this is DEFINITELY the best group on RA!!    I do love the fact that we all are juggling different things in our lives and still have that committment to doing something healthy for ourselves - it's also cool that we all come from different walks of life, have different running backgrounds, goals and paces but i always feel so supported here!!

any chance you belong to a running club?  i found doing track workouts with the group i belong to has really helped increase my speed -- i'll never be a superfast runner but am very happy with the improvements i've made and i know track and running with the group has helped me............post lots and good luck!!

denise

Tramps

Welcome, Tina!  Hope you'll be posting regularly.

No 20-somethings here; we make a habit of chasing them out by waving our canes at them and yelling, "Get out of here you young whippersnappers!"

One question: is your log pretty accurate?  That is, do you list all your runs there?  If so, then (1) you're fast for that amount of mileage!  and (2) if you'd like to improve speed, I'd start by slowly adding some more mileage.  That, in itself, will help improve your speed and, also, once you get a stronger base of miles, you'll be in a better position to try safely adding some speed work.

P.S. And you live in Paris!  Cool!

Be safe. Be kind.

I can't add much to "more miles will make you faster".  I did want to chime in and say, "hi!", though.

Hi!  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hi Tina,

I recommend adding just small bits of speed at first so that it is NOT overwhelming.  Try pushing the pace for a short distance on a day that you're well-rested.  Slow down before it feels too too difficult.  Then try another push when you're recovered.  Either in the same day, or a few days later.  The point is to gradually push your comfort zone out while you gain confidence and fitness.  And don't try to do speedwork every day.  Some say that your hard runs should feel easy and your easy runs should feel hard.  It doesn't always feel that way to me, but you do want to go into your quality workouts feeling fresh.

Oh - and jump right in here.  We're a very welcoming group, and we were all new once!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

King of PhotoShop

Listen to Tramps and Wildchld.  Spareribs
                          I am going to second Spareribs on seconding Wildchild and Tramps.  Beyond that, you are right that if you drop some weight you will get faster, a lot faster actually.  Each pound costs you about 4 seconds or so a mile.  (There are calculators on the web that can tell you how much by your various personal characteristics.  I have found them to be so accurate it is scary!)  Losing even 5 you will reduce your times dramatically!  Now if only it was a simple matter to lose the weight!  Good luck and I hope to see you in the daily.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Anyone who says she runs so she can eat is certainly welcome here! I hope you pop in frequently and post to let us know how you're doing. As for your question on speed, you've already got the best answers here.

Welcome!

#artbydmcbride

Fartleks once a week...and the losing weight idea.

..now where are the dirty old men?  I must have missed them....somewhere in the daily thread??  Big grin

Runners run

Run the race God set B4U

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses, great information!  I did listen to you all and when we ran 5 miles Saturday, we did some fartleks and hills for strengthening...I did pretty good on the time, my first mile was 10:00 flat and that included a good hill.  My running partner is great, she is kind of like a coach, she'll be a few minutes ahead of me going "C'mon Tina, give it all ya got", she runs an 8 min mile, that's my goal.  So Thanks for all the encouragement!!!!  You all Rock!!!
                                5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)