Masters Running

NOVEMBER CHALLENGE (Read 43 times)

TammyinGP

10 Months Down and Only Two Left to Go!!

This month we'll work on back/core and alternate with legs/butt.

Odd days will be Back and Core work

Plank Lift

What It Hits: transversus abdominis and lower back

Begin facedown on the floor, propped up on your forearms, with knees and feet together. With your elbows under your shoulders, lift your torso, legs, and hips in a straight line from head to heels. Hold for 10 seconds. Raise your right leg a few inches, keeping the rest of the body still. Lower and repeat with your left leg.

Keep It Honest: Pull in your belly and don't let your hips sag.

Make It Harder: Extend the time of the exercise. Each time you lift your leg, hold it for 15 to 20 seconds.

and also add this one if you'd like some extra challenge:

Side Plank

What It Hits: obliques, transversus abdominis, lower back, hips, and glutes

Lie on your right side, supporting your upper body on your right forearm, with your left arm at your left side. Lift your hips and, keeping your body weight supported on the forearm and the side of the right foot, extend your left arm above your shoulder. Hold this position for 10 to 30 seconds. Switch sides and repeat.

Keep It Honest: Keep your hips up; don't let them sag.

Make It Harder: Support your upper body with your right hand, instead of your forearm.

Even days will be a "Ball Squat with Knee Lift"

This will target your glutes, hamstrings, quads, core, chest and shoulders

• Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a weighted ball in front of chest.
    • Bend knees 90 degrees.
    • Hold for 2 counts.
    • Slightly straighten legs, shifting weight to left foot as you lift right knee to waist height and extend arms overhead.
    • Return to start and complete 10 reps on each side.

If you don't have a weighted ball, the exercise will still be effective doing it w/o weights or I think I'll try and modify this by using my 7.5 lb hand weight.

ready, set, go!!

Tammy

TammyinGP

did plank lifts and side planks.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 1 minute of plank lifts and 4 x 30 second of side planks on each side.  By the way--thanks Tammy!

Marathon Maniac #957

Looks good but prolly wont start till I get back home.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

did my squat ball lifts, but did it a bit differently. Held a squat for a slow count of 10 and slowly raised arms overhead while lifting one leg to waist height. slowly came back to starting position, held the squat again for a count of 10 and repeated on other side. Did 5 reps on each side. that seemed a bit more challenging that holding for a count of 2.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 10 of those squat things with a 12 pound medicine ball...fun

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 1 minute of plank lifts.  Dang!  I just realized I forgot the side planks.

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay...4 x 30 second side planks on each side.

TammyinGP

3x1 min planks.

i'm not sure why, but when I do the left lift part of it, my other leg, that I'm not lifting, has some pretty severe pain in the knee cap, so I'm not doing the lift part of it, just standard planks. But anyone have any idea why the knee cap hurts so badly?

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

That's weird, Tammy.  I think you should be careful with them...they're not worth hurting yourself over.  I wish I could help you more tHan that.

I did my 4 x 10 ball squat with leg lifts on each leg with a 12 pound medicine ball.

TammyinGP

I want a medicine ball. Maybe I should put one on my Christmas list. or my birthday list since that comes first. . .

ball squat lifty things. done.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

4 x 1 minute of plank lifts and 4 x 30 second side planks each side

By the way...Tammy...I kind of felt some pressure in my non-lifting knee, too, tonight.  I wonder if you adjusted your position either forward or backward if that would help at all...it seemed to with me.

TammyinGP

4 x 1 min plank no lifting. 1x30 sec side planks.

I'll try that next time mike and see if I notice a difference.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  What happened to my post from yesterday?  I did my 4 x 10 ball squats with knee lifts on each leg with a 12 pound medicine ball.

Today, I did 4 x 1 minute of plank lifts and 4 x 30 second side planks on each side.

TammyinGP

4x1 min planks. I did the leg lifts on one set and sort of shifted my weight a bit and slightly bent my leg I was putting my weight on. that seemed to help.

Tammy