Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 6.29.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:

Tramps (3 EZ miles)

RunnerKSA (2.4 got-up-late miles + 2.2 post-work miles)

Marj & Henrun (short 7am run near Cemetery Hill in Gettysburg)

Pfriese (5 slept-in miles with H&H and almost 80°Wink

BerthaSlayer (6 better miles and a push-up)

Wildchild (12.1 Garminless trail miles)

Buehrle (4 6AM miles in 63° IRC)

Spacityrunner (5 warm West Mountain miles with a breeze and a run leader)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 20 post-work bike miles)

Mike (10 muggy post-rain miles)

Twocat (13 post-presentation miles in Whistler, Canada)

Holly 4.3 miles)

Tramps, we always know when there are hawks in the area when the chipmunks go into hiding. No squawking necessary.

12 mi. on a TM at 9PM is nuts, PBJ (well, 12 TM miles at any time is nuts). Some of us (me) are starting to get ready for sleep around then.

How can some of you remember what running shoes and clothes you wore decades ago, and I can’t remember what I wore a few years ago? But I do still have an old pair of Frank Shorter shorts and a shirt from one of my first races in the 80's.

I’m glad Marj & Henrun are having such a great trip.

We had some of those thunder boomers last night too, Stumpy - quite a show!

Wildchild, you DO have a record of your run, just not an electronic record of it. It surely does count!

Welcome back, RCG. Thanks for your observations on a variety of stuff. A hoagie?

It’s a great run when you’re toasted and happy at the end, Spacityrunner.

Mike, I’m so sorry about the tough times your friend and his family are going through. It’s good that you also think of him when times were good too.

I hope you got your computer crisis resolved, Mariposai.

Good for you for taking advantage of the chance to run in and explore a new place, Twocat. It is a great benefit of our sport to be able to just lace up and head out almost anywhere.

I had a frustrating meeting last night. We had a lot to discuss, but too few people showed up, so we couldn’t make any progress and it was a waste of time. I’m much rather slog through a long, productive meeting than leave even a short meeting no further along than when we started.

My right leg was achy again almost all day yesterday, so instead of a workout this morning, I did some stretching and TENS work. We’ll see if that does anything.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. So sorry to hear about the lack of progress at your meeting last night, and sorry that your right leg is still causing you grief. Smart to stretch and take it easy this morning. And thank you for your most thorough recap!

Hi RCG! So great to see your post yesterday.

Mike - I'm so sorry to hear about your good friend's cancer battle. It sounds like you have a very special relationship, and it's hard to see friends in pain.

Safe travels home Twocat.

RunnerKSA - your post about being a "shoe whore" cracked me up! We all know you can never have too many pairs of running shoes

Yesterday I ran 5 miles with the Y girls who run, then walked 4.5 with the walkers, ending with some core work and a few weights.  This morning it was so muggy and the skies looked like they could open up at any minute so I went to the Y and did an hour on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. I read that laying on your back and putting your legs up against the wall is good for recovery and circulation after a workout. The trick is to not get too comfortable that you doze off!

I've got the grandboys again today. They want to make "slime"  Please wish me luck....

Tramps

tetsujin-  Do you run barefoot?

Is the pope Catholic?

Jay—That electrical stuff kind of creeps me out.  Hope it helps you, though.

Mike—so sorry to hear about your friend’s illness.

RCG—deal. Let’s check in when you get back.  Coffee Gator, huh?  I googled. I’m skeptical.  I’m not that coordinated in the morning.  I want my coffee, brewed with a timer, waiting for me.

Carolyn—that’s a deep philosophical dilemma.  I can see both sides.

Last of the comfortable mornings before our usual H&H sweeps through today.

Hip/knee exercises + core work + 3.5 mile easy run.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Does a bear s...............  oops--forgot--this is a family oriented thread.

Tough times, Mike.  But nice to have stories to temper the sadness.

3.1 lake loop miles.  Nice temp, but a bit humid.  Still hunting for that elusive thing called speed.

hoagie=sub=grinder=hero etc.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin guys//............glad Rosie is checking in.....

=======

yesterday, 40-min PoolRun (with letters)

the ''Southern Biathalon''

went a wee bit differently than I was expecting..........

turns out

my buddy has been shooting Match Competition for the last 12-years

he showed up with hundreds of dollars worth of gear and ammo

we set up at 100-yards some Match Grade Targets (very small)

and

shot his Competition Scoped Rifles

having NEVER shot a Scoped Rifle before

I was amazed I was putting the 5-shots in the Ten-Ring (the one next to the BullsEye)

by the end of it

not much Clomping

but

it was quite fun,,,,,,,,,,,to his credit, when we drank a beer we stopped shooting,,,,,,,,,,I was impressed

==============

back at it today

Bike Riding a PoolRun if the ThunderBoomers don't hit

good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jay- I hope your leg calms down!

There is always that elusive pair of shoes that will make me faster, right?

3.2 miles to start the day.  Summer weather is back.  2.1 treadmill miles after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

pretty much running barefoot ever since 1990 when I gave it a try to avoid sweaty feet and inevitable blisters in shoes I'm not used to since I didn't train that much, if any, for the Seattle Goodwill Games Marathon at 97o. It worked, . . . and still does, . . . except, e.g.,  when I ran bearfoot in a pair of Yogi-bear house slippers in the annual Bloomsday 12K two-or-three years ago with the posies
                KSA - your DS probably knows all the tons of IM rules but I survived getting stopped mid-course and at the finish by the rule that required shirt and shoes on the bike and run courses by saying I’d taken off my shoes as it was too hot and they were in my fanny pack and, therefore, I had them with men as “required” since the rule didn’t say had to be “worn.”

ps - I had time trials with-and-without cycling shoes to show a friend that the $100 shoes didn't make me any faster.  Little did he know that being slow is a great equalizer.  Same for me and running shoes.

..  .                    
                However, wildchild, if running even a known distance
                doesn’t count unless confirmed by a Garmin,,
                I’ve just wasted forty years. !

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

That's very impressive, tetsu.  I have used minimalist shoes before, but I'm not a barefoot person except for maybe a mile on the beach.  I can't imagine doing a triathlon without shoes!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Unless I leave my dirty clothing on the floor I cannot remember what I wore yesterday let alone last week or decades ago. lol

8 miles for me today. 2 wu, 4 fartleks and 2 cd. And I am exhausted now so no pushups attempt today.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunchtime, got caught in a heavy pop-up shower and got thoroughly soaked.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

4 miles last night - 3 on some local trails and another 1 mile when I got home with the dogs.  Today and tomorrow are supposed to be low 90's. Those after work runs are gonna hurt. Not sure if I'll run today or tomorrow. not both days though. 
                        have a trail race on Saturday that I decided to register for. it's a 10K but pretty challenging trails. lots of switchbacks and climbing. Cool race though because it's handicapped based on gender and age with staggered start times. so generally only 4-5 are starting at a time. 

gotta get back to work! cya!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - you are right that beer drinking and shooting do not go well together...

Shoo Goo - who knew?  I will pick some up this weekend.  Apparently they sell it everywhere.

5.1 miles for me this morning in 63 degrees.  I have been wearing a different (actually retired) running shoe that does not have a seam near my toe knuckle blister, which has been easier on it, so it is slowly healing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Jlynne, way to maximize your workout day yesterday with running, walking and core workout. Did you doze off during your wall-leg stretch yesterday ?

Tramps, nice to see how fast you are starting to add the miles again. Way to go with that 3.5 today.

Jay, I do not enjoy non productive meetings either. In my job I attend tons of meetings, many of them are just very frustrating to me.

Stumpy77, your  lake loop must be lovely. I am like you, still hunting for that elusive thing called speed.

A Rosie sighting always makes me smile.

Tomwhite,  fun adventure with the Scoped Rifle.

RunnerKSA, funny about your shoe whore statement yesterday.  I on the other hand own one pair of running shoes and one pair of walking shoes right now. My goal is to see if I can run on one pair for a whole year. No scientific reason, just because. My one year anniversary will end in September. So far, so good.

Tetsujin, mark your calendar for 2018 Bloomsday run with the Posies again. That was a blast.

Jay, I hope your legs behave today so tomorrow you can have a good workout.

Twocat, how nice that you were able to run to two lakes yesterday. It must be beautiful up there. I have never been there, but I hear it is beautiful.

Tamster, enjoy your 90F weather!!! Make sure you take the time to enjoy a nice ice tea on your patio.

Lori, I am with you about not remembering what I wore two days ago Smile Nice speed workout today!

Labrat, if you we soaked during your run, then you will not need to shower to go back to your work station 

Well, today was a steady pace Thursday for me. My newly found 7.23 mile route was the course of choice. Nice new course, with some hills and about half a mile of dirt road in the middle.  I shortened the route today because I was running out of time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...only tet

could argue his way out of having ''Secreted Shoes Upon His Person''........

lucky

he didn't

get Strip-Searched

===========

bumping 90s here

,,40-min bikeride

and

40-min PoolRun with letters

......heading off to Ft Campbell tomorrow

so

...............Good Running to Ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mariposai does that mean it might actually have been 7.23 miles? 

Travel day today. Vancouver to Chicago to New York. I am posting this from Chicago. Now I just have to survive the heat and stuffy air until they get the engines running and that turns the AC on.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/