Masters Running

3.24.13 Sunny (?) Sunday Daily (Read 48 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 24.4 miles in 2:58:45, today.  My slowest mile was mile 20 going into a headwind...7:28.  This is my 3rd good long run in a row...I have one more to go before Kentucky.  I sure hope this leading up to a good marathon.  It's been a long time since I've gone under 3 hours but these runs sure are getting my hopes up.

Running is about the only good thing going on in my life, right now.  I know I, probably, share a little too much about my personal life on here, but I can't stop myself....even though I try.

This Friday, I received a call from Eric.  He was in a panic and I could hear a girl screaming in the background.  He told me that he and his girfriend took two hits of acid and his girlfriend was freaking out...screaming...thowing things...swallowing things...and on and on.  I told him to keep her calm and I would be right over.  Because we are on the verge of getting the county to agree to allow Eric to move back home, I really did not want to get the police involved...but I knew I was going to have to.  I called Eric on the way to see how things were going and I could tell he was really scared--she was doing some pretty bizarre stuff.  I told him that if I called 911 that he was, probably, going to jail.  He said he knew that but he wanted me to call them.  Well...I called, they took her the the hospital and interrogated Eric for a few hours.  To Eric's credit, he was very polite and very cooperative.  They did not take him in but said charges are likely to follow.  So...that's the story.  I was really hoping he was turning himself around.  I was hoping we were going to bring him back home and let him go back to school to learn a trade where he can get a decent job.  I'm afraid that plan might be down the drain.  But, like I told Eric, we just have to take one thing at a time and we'll deal with them as they come.  I've been told so many times to just let him go...just let him figure it out himself...let him fail.  I can't do that.

Okay--that's it--I'll leave you all alone, now.  Thanks.

TammyinGP

I'm sorry to hear that about Eric and his girlfriend. although, I think a lot of credit goes to you, as a dad, that even though he knew he screwed up in choice he still turned to you to call for help. He obviously knows that even though you might be disappointed, you are still the safe person to go to.

nice training run for your son, mariposai!! he sure is fast!

good job on your 20 miler Ribs. if running 20 miles was easy, more people would do it. the tough runs make us tougher.

I got in 20 today also. The first 10 were so easy and almost effortless. time was just flying by. the last 10 were okay but by the time I hit mile 16, I was getting too warm and didn't have enough water left with me, so was sipping it sparingly. 3:13:52.

Tammy

Mike - I'm really sorry to hear about your job.  Things are so tough right now, but I am hoping and praying you find something that suits you.  Are you still looking into the personal trainer thing?  I think you'd be perfect.  Heck, hire yourself out now as a running coach.  You have all the qualifications!

A 2014 Ave of the Giant meet up?!?!?  I won't run it, but I'd love to help plan a get together.  Heck, you all would basically go right by my house to get to the race.

Well, yesterday Karen and I ran our last training run together (10 miles), then we tackled more packing and cleaning so that she didn't have a ton to do today.  Came over last night, and the three of us made pizzas, then, of course, she and I had the very teary "see ya later."  Karen is more than just a running partner and friend.  We're as close as two people can be to being sisters without being blood, and we've spent hundreds of hours and miles along side each other.  Heck, without her, I never would've gotten into running.  I am so going to miss her.

Today is was yard work then watching March  Madness.  Florida Gulf Coast Univ going to the Sweet 16.  Who'da thunk?!?

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Leslie, butterfly hugs to you, dear sister. My best pal Grace moved away about three years ago. It still hurts not to have her nearby, but we do manage to be in each other's lives. It is amazing what you can do with Skype, cell phones and FaceBook.

Erika, my son is running The Windermere Marathon in Spokane, then the two of my sons, plus my DH are running the Light at the end of the tunnel as my birthday present Smile

Mike, I am so sorry to hear about Eric. Just keep on loving that kid, he will turn around. And I think you are doing the right thing by being for him in such a hard time of his life.

Well, this was a delightful day. Dear son#1, my DH and I went out for a sunny 5 miler (the longest run for my DH in a year), then we came home, dressed up and my two sons and I went to the orchestra concert. Very cool afternoon. Then was dinner on the grill and now it is time to get ready for some family card game.

Tamster, you are one speedy lady!! Magnificent job!

Spareribs, 20 milers are hard, no matter how you look at it! Great job! Boston is just around the corner.

Twocat, way to get that sub 8 pace, even when your training has no speeding program on it at all. Boston, here comes twocat!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike,  you're a good dad.  Sorry to hear Eric is having trouble, but it's good that he knows he can call you when he's in trouble and you'll be there.   I hope he and his girlfriend can straighten things out.   And good luck finding a better job - I know it's out there.   Hang in there.

Nancy, I'm looking forward to meeting you and your DH and DSs at our birthday marathon this summer!

I made it home from my trip east to visit my DD and parents and in-laws - it took me a while to find my car at the airport, because I didn't quite remember where I parked, and the cars were covered with snow!    But I'm home, and Tazzie and Ladybug are glad to see me.   I ran 5.3 miles today around my old neighborhood at my parent's house before I flew home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm sorry to hear that about Eric and his girlfriend. although, I think a lot of credit goes to you, as a dad, that even though he knew he screwed up in choice he still turned to you to call for help. He obviously knows that even though you might be disappointed, you are still the safe person to go to.

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I so agree!!  Sorry, he is going thru so many struggles, but I think you are an awesome dad!!

denise

arf

MM #405

You are an awesome dad Mike!     All these heartbreaking things happen for a reason...don't ask me why.   It makes us stronger??

Most important thing is ......Everyone is still ALIVE !

arf