Masters Running

Cary (NC) Distance Festival 10K RR (Read 242 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

For some reason I have never had a 10K race with a pace much faster than my 20K or Half Marathon pace. My 10K PR stands from November 2006 with a 7:36 pace (47:08). My 1/2 marathon PR has a 7:37 pace. Two weeks ago I had a breakout 20K race with a 7:27 pace so I was primed for a breakout 10K. I'm a cold weather runner and my 1/2 M an 20K PR's were all run in 30-40° temperatures. My 10K's were typically 60°+. I was looking forward to a cold weather 10K run in early March! On Wednesday of this week I ran 13 miles in 16° and had ice breaking off my cap while I ran. Three days later, the race starts at 9:00 and it is 60° climbing to 65° by the finish on the way to a high of 78°! So much for a cold weather race. My goals: 1. PR 2. 45:XX 2: sub 45 This was a well run, well marked (accurate markers) race on rolling hills, not very big but enough to make you feel them. There was alot of downhill on the first mile and I probably (for sure) went out too fast with a first mile split 7:02. It all went south from there 7:18, 7:36, 7:35, 7:44, 7:28 (1.2 miles) finishing in 46:07 (7:26 pace)...hmmm just like my 20K pace 2 weeks ago! This is a 10K race PR by 1:01 So I'm thrilled with it....just puzzled. Addendum: FR: blue/white addidas tech tee, black shorts and blue/white Asics 2130's Also: On the way to the race I put my Garmin on the top of the car to catch satellites while I loaded my stuff but forgot to put it inside the car. I remembered a few blocks away, stopped and checked and it was gone! I did a U turn and drove slowly back and spotted it in the middle of the busy road. I stopped and got it before the car behind me could run it over! A little ding but it's fine.. big whew.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Dude, it's 60 freakin' degrees, you have zero acclimation right now, and, still, you nailed a PR! Nice job! On a day like that you take what you can get and hope for cooler temps next time. (Are you puzzled by the fast time or puzzled that you couldn't get a 45?) Now about that Garmin...Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Perch I would agree with Tramps...you just aren't acclimated to the warmer temps yet. Besides a 1:00 + PR is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats on a greta race and a new PR! Big grin I did something simlar with my Garmin once...only thing was I found it at home in my garage, I had dropped it there...thank God since I hadn't been able to find it while frantically tracing my steps back to the house. You were certainly lucky it hadn't gotten run over.
        rlemert

Congratulations. Unlike you, I am NOT a cold-weather runner, so I was looking forward to this race. Even registered Thursday (bib # 83). Then last night I'm informed that because the DW is sick, I'm going to have to take DS to his martial arts class this morning - at the same time as the race. Angry Angry Angry Maybe I'll see you in three weeks at the Raleigh Rocks Half - as I watch your fleeting form fly over the horizon leaving me wallowing in your dust Cool.
            Nice job Perch and sweet PR. I am with Tramps and mainerunnah----don't be puzzled. You are aiming right for a sub 45, but more likely after your next marathon. You are dialing in 20k and higher paces right now and the temperature swing of 60 degrees does make a huge difference. A 45 minute 10k as a master was a huge plateau for me and then I went well under that and have stayed there for the most part. You'll do the same, I just know it. Relish the PR and work on the shorter distances after April 20. You are rockin' it.
            TammyinGP

Nice PR Perch! This was a great weekend for the Master Runners - quite a few PR's and speedy races by a few folks over at KR also. congratulations on your new PR and a great 10K!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Great race and nice job on the PR! It's nice to hear you found the Garmin, too. Leaving something on the car roof sounds like a "Masters moment".Big grin Last week I put my coffee cup on the roof of the car when I was loading stuff in, and you guessed it, I drove off with it on the roof. I remembered at the top of the driveway and drove back, but didn't see it, so I got out and walked the driveway, and found it in the grass at the side. No coffee left in it - the lid had popped off. Angry

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker

Hi Perch, I also prefer cooler weather, and I know a sudden 30 degree increase in the temperature will result in a poor performance on my part. But, despite the warm-up, you ran very well and gutted out a 1min+ PR! Congrats on a good and strong effort! I've learned my lesson (the hard way, of course), and never put anything on the car roof anymore... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PJH

Very nice race, Perch ... and PR! Continued great racing! PJ

Hill Runner

Steve, congrats on your PR , you are lucky....you almost bought yourself a new 405 Big grin

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Congratulations Perch! A PR is a PR, you don't want to do too well, because once that cooler weather meets race day, you can do so much better and get another big 10K PR.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I think it was the great pre-race lunch the day before that did it. Congrats on the PR buddy!
                            nice racing, Perch.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Nice race with a big PR, perch. I'm glad the Garmin survived it's adventure. TomS

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice job Steve...you are such a great runner and a inspiration to all of us at RA. I still say you could write a book about running and make money doing so, with your wealth of information on how to train and race properly. Greta PR Buddy, those pesky 10K's are a tough race...like a 5K that seems to never end. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!